help me computer genius's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gutterboy

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Everytime I get on the internet, my cd rom and dvd burner open up for no reason. Then I get these pop up saying to download spyware removal stuff. It says that I have a virus from spyware and I can download this stuff for free. Is this a good idea and will it get rid of the bullcrap that keeps happening to my computer.

gutterboy,

Could be a few things - 1. You're infected with a virus, 2. You're infected with a trojan, 3. You're infected with both.

I'd recommend taking the computer to a computer shop so they can attach the drive to another system and fully scan the drive, system files and all for any viruses and trojans. Also have them run Ad-Aware on the drive to clean out any spyware.

After that buy a anti-virus software package KEEP IT UPDATED, and download Ad-Aware also KEEP IT UPDATED and run both programs at least once a week.

-Michael

Thanks for the info WoodiE, so I shouldnt download that spyware removal program that comes up when I first get on the internet. Would that screw my computer up even more then it is now.

OK, the stuff that comes up is also that adware you are talking about WoodiE. Thanks for the help getting ready to fix it shortley.

Last edited:
Go grab "spybot serach and destroy"
Nothing else and make sure the name matches exactly. That will take care of your problem.

Actually their are so many fake ones I'll just give you the link. Since you have So many problems I would efinetaly suggest a scan with norton anti virus. Download SPybot first It may solve all your problems.\ / spy bot link \/

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php

here is another vote fot Spybot Search and destroy, works great!

OK I downloaded spybot search and destroy and did the steps. When I get on the internet, my cd rom and dvd burner still opens and the same stuff appears. Did I do something wrong when I downloaded spybot.

Sounds like you got the computer cooties. Do you run any antivirus program? If there's nothing rally too important on your computer, it might be a good time to do some spring clening. Wipe the drive clean ad start from scratch.

Spybot and Ad-Aware ONLY removes spyware, that's it. Again I'd still recommend downloading Ad-Aware, we've used it here at the computer shop for sometime now and it has cleaned a LOT of spyware off of computer systems. It doesn't hurt to run both Spybot and Ad-Aware, some people recommend having both anyways.

Again I'd still recommend taking the system into a local computer shop so they can clean the system. Once a computer is infected it's VERY hard to have the system clean itself with an antivirus software, thus the reason why most good computer shops will hang the drive off of another computer then scan the drive.

-Michael

Spybot catches trojans, and spyware along with adware.

Woddie is right bout ad ware and spybot. just be carefull not to download anything but those two. Their are a lot of "clones" they dont actually move ad/spyware they install it.

I would

#1 run spybot (you did)
#2 run ad aware.
#3 run norton antivirus.

If you still have a problem Try your hardest to find friend "in the know" of computers to come to your house and fix/clean it. If you can't find a friend to do it, then take it to a shop.

Make ABSOLUTELY certain they don't "format" or "reinstall windows" unless it is absolutely necasarry. A lot of shops belive the fix all is just to wipe your computer clean. This is ok but you will loose all your favorites, and files you have created/downloaded.

Too many times clients come to me after having their computer "fixed" at the local shop, and I have to tell them although the computer is fixed, all their files are lost for good. BACKUP everything before you take it into a shop. Otherwise you may never get it back.

Man, I wish my cup holder popped out when I booted up. That'd be cool.

but seriously, having symptoms like that aren't cool at all. You could also go to Mcafee or symantec's site and run a search in their database. Look for cd tray, name of the files it want's to d/l and so forth. You might get lucky and find out what's causing the problem and they might also have a fix tool. Even still, do like Woodie and the other guys said and have the drive inspected and cleaned just to be sure.

The only thing I have that is any real importance is my music that I downloaded. A while back my power supply went caploee because of a outage, and yes I have a good surge protector and it wiped my hard drive, thus destroying everything I had.

Well thanks to lykan my computer problem is solved. Man this dude is a computer guru and he stuck with me until we got my problem fixed. Thanks lykan, you are the man brother.

NP..

What happened was an exploit basicallly. A malicious web page changed his homepage. Instead of going directly to his home page it opened a popup first.

The pop up (exploit page) used a security flaw in MS Internet explorer to open his cd from a web page, and then pop up a nice add for their company.

Being a web page, neither Spybot, or Norton picked it up.

Check out this page here to find some nifty things you can do to a windows computer with plain html, a fun link

http://www.openopen.org/ie/open-cd-ie.html

Looks like they rmoved the scripts.. hrmpph at least this explains the exploits for ya

Back