Help me choose -Noob Warning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1_

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I really wasn't looking to buy one but I headed off to some local hobby shops to buy parts for an old nitro car I haven't used in years, parts for nitro seem to be getting harder to find here but there are lots of electric cars available which has got me interested.

I can't remember the main brands available here but I saw there was a Kyosho axxe and sandmaster available which i can't stop looking at videos and reviews of online. Of the two, i prefer the axxe better.

I'd like some input, I'm looking for an entry level car, rtr with all the radio gear and battery already included. I'll probably get bored with it after a while or at least I'm hoping that's the case since I really don't have the time or budget for another new hobby right now but I do have some questions.

Firstly, my options due to availability and budget limit me to these two cars as starting points. How do you rate them as entry level cars, they look a bit cheap, toyish and plasticity to me but some of the reviews all mention how solid and well made they are.

How do you think these would compare to Tamiya xb cars like the Neo Scorcher or Hornet? I've looked online and I'm pretty sure I can get these locally. The prices are around the same but with the Tamiya, I'll have to buy my own batteries for the kits where they are already included in the kyosho kits.
I'm considering the Tamiyas as well because I know there will be more support locally and parts available for these cars. I like the look of the Neo Scorcher or the classic Hornet or Grasshoper but I don't know if the build quality is the same on these cars as the more newly designed Kyosho

kyosho axxe
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=109775
Tamiya Neo Scorcher
http://www.tamiya-asia.com/shop/tamiya-57867-110-rc-xb-rtr-neo-scorcher-tt02b-p-90061724.html

Other q's - between the two brands, which are more customizeable? I read the kyosho had adjustable arms or something like that.

SInce i'm looking at buggies I have a question about tires. Will the spiked tires wear out more quickly if I run them mostly on concrete or paved surfaces, would it be a good idea to get slicks or regular road tires for pavement running?

Kyosho is a good brand but I can't speak to either one of those models as I've never owned either one. Tamiya is generally considered a good brand also but I havent owned one since the 80's. Theyre not really my style of RC.

If you run tires with high traction (like ones with knobbies) they will not only wear out faster but the buggy also wont handle very well. You will want some good street tires or slicks for street running.

Personally if it was me I would look into a OFNA buggy. They are a really good brand, they have lots of after market support (online at least) and they are priced very reasonably. Check out this one.
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/ofna-h...4ghz-radio-jl-.28-pull-start-ofn14326/p119503

Might want to look into Traxxas. Their parts seem to be some of the most widely available.

Kyosho is a good brand but I can't speak to either one of those models as I've never owned either one. Tamiya is generally considered a good brand also but I havent owned one since the 80's. Theyre not really my style of RC.

If you run tires with high traction (like ones with knobbies) they will not only wear out faster but the buggy also wont handle very well. You will want some good street tires or slicks for street running.

Personally if it was me I would look into a OFNA buggy. They are a really good brand, they have lots of after market support (online at least) and they are priced very reasonably. Check out this one.
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/ofna-h...4ghz-radio-jl-.28-pull-start-ofn14326/p119503

That's really nice but the whole reason I'm considering electric is the lack of support for nitro parts locally.

Traxxas isn't available locally. My options due to availability and budget are between the Tamiya and Kyosho entry level kits. Now I'm leaning towards another, the Dirt Hog with sealed gears, waterproof servo and speed controller. Just wondering if that makes it ok to run in puddles and stuff?

That's really nice but the whole reason I'm considering electric is the lack of support for nitro parts locally.

Traxxas isn't available locally. My options due to availability and budget are between the Tamiya and Kyosho entry level kits. Now I'm leaning towards another, the Dirt Hog with sealed gears, waterproof servo and speed controller. Just wondering if that makes it ok to run in puddles and stuff?
I'd say that you could run around puddles and wet pavement, but I wouldn't submerge it. I actually some Kyosho Micro and pico-sized electrics and they are really durable; but parts are kind of hard to get in the U.S.