Help ! How tight??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emry7368

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Can you get some good pictures of that assembly? The camera was moving so much I couldn't see what is going on. Take some from under that assembly. That screw looks like it goes through 2 plates?

I would just use a locknut on it and snug it down so you don't restrict movement.

Last edited:
Same as what WF said. Also make sure that balls not bound up in the cup.

Hi , sorry for late reply here is some pictures and also the ball isn't bound up
20220319_154254.jpg
20220319_154237.jpg
20220319_154230.jpg
20220319_154239.jpg

Can you get some good pictures of that assembly? The camera was moving so much I couldn't see what is going on. Take some from under that assembly. That screw looks like it goes through 2 plates?

I would just use a locknut on it and snug it down so you don't restrict movement

Attachments

• 20220319_154245.jpg
    20220319_154245.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 21
Oh, I see now. So if you tighten up the screw on that ball, the rod end locks up?

RC - isn't that the design of the ball joints is to be able to tighten them down and still get movement? Are we sure that isn't supposed to be a cup and ball set up?

RC - isn't that the design of the ball joints is to be able to tighten them down and still get movement? Are we sure that isn't supposed to be a cup and ball set up?
Yeah, it is. It has a ball in it, but for some reason it is not working properly. A locknut might be an easy fix.

I venture to say when he is tightening the screw, he is locking down the ball, so it doesn't move

I venture to say when he is tightening the screw, he is locking down the ball, so it doesn't move
The ball actually shouldn't move. Some of those plastic rod ends are pretty tight on them. Combine that with a weak servo, and you have trouble.

oh - I thought the balls would spin on the screw shaft - you're saying that they are a solid piece?

oh - I thought the balls would spin on the screw shaft - you're saying that they are a solid piece?
The balls are just round balls with a hole through them, and a short boss on either side for them to rest on and screw to press on. You can see the boss under the screw.

But it looks to me like the screw is really close to that blue steering link. I would take it all apart and see what's going on.

Is this screw hitting the link? Can't tell from this angle.
20220319_220829.jpg

And the screws coming up through the bottom are about 5mm too long 😉

The balls are just round balls with a hole through them, and a short boss on either side for them to rest on and screw to press on. You can see the boss under the screw.

But it looks to me like the screw is really close to that blue steering link. I would take it all apart and see what's going on.

Is this screw hitting the link? Can't tell from this angle.
View attachment 144078

And the screws coming up through the bottom are about 5mm too long 😉
Hi, I just don't understand why they worked before and now they don't, I will check what you have said later though and will reply back!
I don't know about the screws they are just whet was there when I got it
It's a ftx vantage by the way if that helps

Take it apart and see what's going on. Looking at it isn't going to fix the problem.

Might be a stupid suggestion but could you not adjust the steering trim so that it doesn't over extend and pull the screw out, maybe? I had trouble with the top of the screw head getting stuck and causing the steering to lock up, dropped the trim down a little so it doesn't over reach and was all good again?

Hi , apologies again for long reply but it was working find before all I need to know is how tight to do up the screw.

Back