Help for grease/oil for diff on my onroad nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldvod

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I'm redoing the diffs on my smarttech on road nitro vehicle. It uses a .12 and was wondering what weight of grease would i put in my diffs. I really dont know much about tuning by using different viscosity of grease. I usually just bash on the street theres no track or anything and the roads are mostly in rough shape.

1/10 Touring?

If so, then it's a matter of preference... assuming you have sealed diffs, apply fresh grease on the rubber seals and you want to use diff fluid.

Not really sure what the manufacturer recommends, I would go through the user manual and start there.

Back when I used to race on-road we went very thick in the front diff, at least 100K and anywhere from 5K to 10K in the rear

The "meta" for onroads/touring cars seems to be a spool (locked diff) up front, assuming that it's set up so the inside front wheel lifts up in turns, (even more pronounced with a sway bar), which would cause understeer as the diff loses torque unless the outside wheel has enough bite & power to pull the front over.

My Kyosho FW-06 came set up like that, though I rebuilt it with thick diff grease like bill_delong suggests just because it feels more true-to-scale to me. It also had the option to use 2 or 4 spider gears, I used 4 to further up the "churn"

Basically, when one wheel spins, the other will only receive as much torque as it takes to drive the diff gears against each other.

However, when your traction exceeds the diff's resistance, you'll lose energy through it in turns.

1/10 Touring?

If so, then it's a matter of preference... assuming you have sealed diffs, apply fresh grease on the rubber seals and you want to use diff fluid.

Not really sure what the manufacturer recommends, I would go through the user manual and start there.

Back when I used to race on-road we went very thick in the front diff, at least 100K and anywhere from 5K to 10K in the rear
it is a 1/10 scale touring car. smarttech manuals are useless i'll probably do research on other touring cars
for my baseline

Back