HELP: First Nitro RC Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosort

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style

Hi, I am about to buy my first Nitro RC car and after the research I have done I have come to 3 possible choices:

Traxxas Revo 3.3
Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3
HPI Savage x 4.6

Since I have no previous experience on RC I am looking for the best value entry level choice which required the minimum extra parts to start running and tuning.

If possible I am looking for no AAA batteries (hate charging)

Hi, I am about to buy my first Nitro RC car and after the research I have done I have come to 3 possible choices:

Traxxas Revo 3.3
Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3
HPI Savage x 4.6

Since I have no previous experience on RC I am looking for the best value entry level choice which required the minimum extra parts to start running and tuning.

If possible I am looking for no AAA batteries (hate charging)

My recommendation is the Savage. It's tough, and out of all my nitros, I think it was the easiest to work with as far as tuning. Also, the Savage X series and newer are made to be easier to work on. All models that you've listed have a ton of fans and aftermarket support.

As far as batteries are concerned, you have to at least have a receiver pack. Best thing about that is that you don't have to charge it very often. If you have two, you could probably get a whole day of bashing without have to wait for a charge.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

And with the Savage, all you need to get started is fuel, receiver batteries, and transmitter batteries. Just make sure you do the break-in process, and you can be bashing in two hours.

I have the Tmaxx 2.5 classic (Model 4910...so its older), and I love it. Since buying it I have put on loads of upgrades, sky's the limit when it comes to upgrades for any of these big brand name trucks. I have a TRX3.3, aluminum bulkheads, alum chassis braces, RPM Aarms etc. etc.

The Tmaxx is an awesome truck and very tough IF you take the time and money to put on some necessary upgrades. The Savage on the other hand would be a little bit tougher truck out of the box...stock for stock. I have had a really good experience with tuning my 3.3, it is a very good reliable engine.

You've got a tough choice on your hands, seeing as both trucks are great trucks out of the box. I dont really like the Revo myself, so it wouldn't be a choice for me, just my .02.

Last edited:
The tmaxx 3.3 is amazing. I'm new to nitro also and this thing is a monster. The only thing I'll recommend is if you get the 3.3, make sure the clutch is tight. Sounds difficult, but you just screw it in all the way and back it out a quarter turn. Good luck!

For beginners tmaxx is a pretty good truck.. everything is layed out in the open and very easy to work on.

The savage is an awesome truck and very very tough and fast compared to the t maxx. its got alot more suspension travel so you wont be bottoming out much at all really and its just an amazing truck.. but the TVP ( twin vertical plates) may be intimidating for a beginner considering everything is sort of in a narrow area and not so out in the open.

All in all i think t maxx would be a good beginners truck because since its a push button start you can just have fun and use it and as things break or wear out youll eventually start to become more knowledge able of your truck and you may later on either modify your truck or even sell it to buy another truck.

savage requires more to start like the roto start and glow plug igniter and most of my friends that are beginners in rc really just like the push button start and be able to just drive instead of have an igniter on the plug and then carrying the roto start can be annoying. But either way. t maxx and revo are great beginners.. i personally see the savage more of an experience driver truck... the throttle is very very touchy.. it has alot of power..

The savage may not be what you want maintenance wise because lots of users on here will recommend you shim the diffs.. make sure everything is locktited. where as t maxx and revo.. none of that is needed. just start.. break in.. and thrash around !!

With that said.. all the trucks you listed are great choices.. but i would say in a beginners perspective the revo or t maxx would be the best choice for you.

Good luck. and post on here when you get it !!! we love to see your bran new rides.

Not knocking your suggestion, but maybe give him some reasons why this would be a good choice.

Of the three, the Savage is the best choice for bashing because it is very tough out of the box. I also like the Revo because it's the best handling M/T on the market IMO.

Yeah, the savage would definately require the least amount of replacement/repair parts because as stated is the strongest out of the box truck.

because Revo 3.3 looks smexy and I'm getting one myself too soon and upgrade it to at least 90% aluminum for shelf queen. and some driving.

Because it's "sexy", is not very good advice to give to a beginner looking for a reliable first rig.

Of the three, the Savage is the best choice for bashing because it is very tough out of the box. I also like the Revo because it's the best handling M/T on the market IMO.

Its tough but for beginners its not really that great of a truck...

Takes more to start, diffs need maintenance often. its a tough truck but thats only if you maintain it. A beginner needs something that requires little maintenance and something easy to start.

You gotta look at the view that makes a beginner feel confident .. push button start, flate chassis so everything is open and very easy to work on and its not like right out of the box hes gonna be thrashing like crazy. hes gonna be trying to get a hang of how the truck runs and handles.. and hes gonna want something that doesn't require much.. can you imagine how intimidating it is when he posts a thread all happy he got a new savage and people saying * shim your diff's.. locktit your motor mount... make sure all screws are tight etc etc * he needs something with no maintenance needs just start n go.

The Savage is the most reliable and sturdiest basher there is. I personally think HPI is a little bit better brand than Traxxas although you will find more Traxxas support at yoru local hobby shop. But seriously, the Savage can take alot of abuse without breaking.

Actually that would be the Losi LST-2-Aftershock...

IDK about the Aftershock but I own the Savage X SS, LST2-E, and a XXL and the Savage breaks less in my experience than my LST2 or XXL. That being said however the LST2 and XXL line are my favorite MTs but they are more expensive than the Savage.

Takes more to start, diffs need maintenance often. its a tough truck but thats only if you maintain it. A beginner needs something that requires little maintenance and something easy to start.

You gotta look at the view that makes a beginner feel confident .. push button start, flate chassis so everything is open and very easy to work on and its not like right out of the box hes gonna be thrashing like crazy. hes gonna be trying to get a hang of how the truck runs and handles.. and hes gonna want something that doesn't require much.. can you imagine how intimidating it is when he posts a thread all happy he got a new savage and people saying * shim your diff's.. locktit your motor mount... make sure all screws are tight etc etc * he needs something with no maintenance needs just start n go.

I would have to agree with you here. The Savage would be a very intimidating truck to start out with! There is nothing that can't be learned over time however, and that being said if you are new to the hobby, most of this stuff can be intimidating. I would still go with the Savage for a basher seeing as it would not need as much to keep it going in stock form, meaning that I beleive tat in stock form, the Savage stock plastic is stronger and it has a better stock chassis than a Tmaxx (I'm sorry, I just dont see wherre there would be more maintenance involved). I own a Tmaxx and when I first picked this thing up, it scared the hell out of me to have to take it all apart and try to repair something. But I learned, I read, I posted on this forum and now it doesn't seem to be as much of a daunting task.

I do still love my Tmaxx though, it is an awesome truck to have.

Last edited:
i have a tmaxx 3.3 and its my first nitro, its very tought, and easy to fix, its also very powerful

I would agree that the T-Maxx and Revo are a little more user friendly until they break which they do quite often. I had my T-maxx 3.3 out of the box and running within 10 minutes. Halfway through the second tank of break in it slung a brake pad off which meant I had to remove the transmission to replace it. The Savage doesn't have brake pads. Next the rear inner pinion bearing let go which destroyed the ring and pinion gear. Had to remove the entire rear assembley and blow it apart to replace those. The Savage you just have to remove 6 srews to get the diffs. Replacing the spur gear on a T-Maxx requires removing the fuel tank and it's even worse on the Revo which requires you remove the engine. The Savage just 6 screws and the whole top of the tranny comes off with the spur gear. So I don't really get where Trx Addict gets that the Maxx and Revo are easier to work on. The Savage has a metal gear trans the Maxx and Revo use plastic ones. The Savage has all metal driveshafts where the Maxx and Revo have plastic. If you want a quality rig that is reliable and tough as nails and will survive almost anything you throw at it and can be fixed in a snap when it doesn't go with the Savage. If you want a rig that is fun but lacks a little in quality and durabitlity but has huge aftermarket and a little better lhs support then go with Traxxas. I got rid of all my Traxxas stuff when I got my first Savage now I have 2 of them. There is alot more room in my tackle box now because I don't have to keep spare parts on hand to keep them running.

Which one would it be then in you opinion?

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

First of all, thanks for all the replies. Based on the post and some research, durability and ready to run straight out of the box are my main requirements. I want something that won’t get damage the first day and that I can start easily. I won’t be racing so handling is not my top priority (maybe later I can get a truggy or buggy). I just want off road free driving. Spare parts play also an important part since I do not leave in the US (I live in Colombia) and spare parts are quiet expensive here, so the less replacements I have to do the better) So…. I think the Savage is the top on the list unless that I find a real deal on Ebay for the Traxxas. This is not over! Great forum!

HPI is the top when it comes to quality, performance and durability...IMHO. I own a Tmaxx and I am telling you this. You will not be disappointed with a Savage!!! I think that you would find that with a Savage, you will be driving alot more than you will be fixing/repairing.

The decision is yours, of course, but I am just trying to say that the Savage can take alot more abuse in its stock form over a Tmaxx. I have had to replace/upgrade to alot of aluminum chassis components (approx. $250 worth) on my Tmaxx to bring it up to stock Savage strength. They are not indestructable by any means though.

Back