help, burning through the plastic gears inside the transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjneid

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've got a MGT 4.6SE w/ an after market .28 engine in it... w/ a tuned pipe... and i am burning through the plastic gears inside the transmission....

I know the 8.0 Tranny is direct bolt it.... but does anyone know if the plastic gears (part number 25013) are able to be ordered from any where in a steel version......

Yes i've google searched it and didn't find anything...... but i know some of you Guru's have unknown sources.....

Last edited:
Wow, they really want an arm and a leg for that trans on ebay don't they?!?! $110 was the lowest BIN I saw with free shipping.

Almost looks like you could use the 8.0 parts for the larger gears:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTZD3&P=Z

The smaller one doesn't appear to exist anymore...
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=25683

Found on AE's site.

After looking a bit more, the MGT 4.6 appeared to run an alloy gear:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLDF2&P=7

But the tooth count doesn't appear to be the same as the 8.0... so maybe that will work for you.

Last edited:
Wow, they really want an arm and a leg for that trans on ebay don't they?!?! $110 was the lowest BIN I saw with free shipping.

Almost looks like you could use the 8.0 parts for the larger gears:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTZD3&P=Z

The smaller one doesn't appear to exist anymore...
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=25683

Found on AE's site.

After looking a bit more, the MGT 4.6 appeared to run an alloy gear:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLDF2&P=7

But the tooth count doesn't appear to be the same as the 8.0... so maybe that will work for you.

after seeing the bottom two links...I see where the confusion came it (part number 25013 comes with all three in the baggie).... the gears that i am looking for are the two larger ones in this picture

gWpQf7fGpoPunIfAjOzzK34MOp7CBo0GBmmKSFrOcGz0N1_haz-Bizy3yiXRKf70lKeju1QabpvXPbCVYWfkEcxaBiDxZZro6GVP-SpOSRS9nla_bZkLx9k48dsefYjv2J6XtUe7kfdDGR8oUE80Vw8z5LuDUFbAokrGRw

For some reason those are the only two gears in the entire transmission that are plastic. Every other one is some sort of steel alloy...

Even my 2 speed pinion is the metal variant from the factory....

I'l find out about the larger gears.... i'll do some research on that.... thanks for the help.

Last edited:
It appears as if those two larger gears will mix and matched but the OWB w/ hex are different part numbers. The 4.6 is P# 25012 and the 8.0 is P# 25663.... and the shafts they slide on is different as well...

Looks like my two options are
1) keep burning through bearings
2) replace the whole transmission with the beefier one.

Bearings where?

At least one of the two can maybe be resolved.

If it's the $, think of it this way, how aggravated are you each time you shell the gears? Now take that quantity of aggravation times how many times you've replaced the gears... If your anything like me, that's not a constant growth of aggravation, but rather becomes somewhat exponential. Now think about the 15th time you change the gears... Eventually, you'll set the truck on fire.

Avoid burning your house down and going to prison! Get the heavy duty transmission now!

-- sometimes things escalate quick with me these days... have to nip it in the bud!

Bearings where?

At least one of the two can maybe be resolved.

If it's the $, think of it this way, how aggravated are you each time you shell the gears? Now take that quantity of aggravation times how many times you've replaced the gears... If your anything like me, that's not a constant growth of aggravation, but rather becomes somewhat exponential. Now think about the 15th time you change the gears... Eventually, you'll set the truck on fire.

Avoid burning your house down and going to prison! Get the heavy duty transmission now!

-- sometimes things escalate quick with me these days... have to nip it in the bud!

As far as the OWB it's the part that i have in a red box... the hex that is on it fits into the larger of the two gears

1276115505.jpg

I don't mind spending the money on the transmission to fix the problem i'm having... it's a hobby that can/will require alot of money and alot of time from time to time... i've been it long enough to know that.... i would just personally rather spend 30 bucks on 2 steel gears versus 90 bucks on a whole transmission.

I found em on amazon for 89.00 up to 100.00 (plus UPS/USPS)....

i guess thats the option i'm going to run with.... the first time i tore this tranny apart over PLASTIC gears in an 1/8th scale i was a little errked....

Last edited:
The savage has a few plastic gears as well, but they hold up. I think if you were able to replace your pinion with a metal gear, it would help the longevity of the bigger spurs that run against it.

The savage has a few plastic gears as well, but they hold up. I think if you were able to replace your pinion with a metal gear, it would help the longevity of the bigger spurs that run against it.

Yea the pinion gear in my truck has been a metal one from day one. I even used Team Associated's black grease on the second set... still chewed em up.

Well i am picking up my MGT 8.0 Transmission today.

I called a couple of my local Hobby shops and they wanted anywhere between 100-137. Then i called a chain store, the same place i bought the truck, near me and asked the same question, entire MGT 8.0 transmission, whats the going price....

he said $50.00 cash or charge card, out the door.......

my wife is picking it up on her way in from work......

$50.00 for the entire transmission.... i could barely fix my old one for that.....

I hope you get what you asked for and not some rendition of what the guy on the phone thinks "8.0 transmission" means!

I hope you get what you asked for and not some rendition of what the guy on the phone thinks "8.0 transmission" means!

Picked it up last night.... Team Associated Branded 8.0 Transmission, split the casing before i installed it... :D:D:D ALL METAL GEARS :D:D:D hopefully i wont be blowing this one up.... find out tomorrow...... :p::p::p:

Maybe you should have bought two or three at that price and sold them on ebay for what people are selling them for!

Hope it holds up for you.

Maybe you should have bought two or three at that price and sold them on ebay for what people are selling them for!

Hope it holds up for you.

I do to.... and i did ask if i could buy two of them @ that price; one for active use, and one for back up use..... and the 4.6 for a backup's back up.... but they said one only..... oh well....

I'm sure it'll hold up for me.... i asked my LHS (Colerain Hobbies), whos owner owns one of these beast and he said he has had no problem with the 8.0 transmission mounted with a .28 engine..... so i'll see... only thing i need now is a FW conversion kit for it...

but as soon as i say that i'll have got a lemon and it'll blow up on me.

Last edited:
Well i got the Transmission in, bolts "locktited" /if that is a even a word/ down. I let it set 24hrs for it to set properly w/o question and took her out. Works like a charm.... beat up on it pretty hard to boot and it stayed planted and in a forward motion...

the only thing i don't like is all metal gear transmission = more rotating mass + heavier rig = take alot longer to slow down..... w/ the 4.6 transmission adjustments.... looks like i'll have to rest the brake tension.....

May need to invest in a stronger t/b servo as well. More mass puts a lot of stress on weak servos that are typically used. I run a 170oz servo on my MT's for t/b. Lasts a long time that way.

May need to invest in a stronger t/b servo as well. More mass puts a lot of stress on weak servos that are typically used. I run a 170oz servo on my MT's for t/b. Lasts a long time that way.

Yea, that my next investments.

I've got a LHS that have 320oz servos for like 75 bucks... i think i'm going to pick one of those up for my steering and look into something for the T/B.

What kind of servo is it? Stay away from blue-bird. $75 @ 320oz... I'll order a few if they are a decent brand!

Next time i get to the shop i'll look... I know they are a house brand sold @ the Hobby Town near me.

and ...
:\:\:\

i flpping know butter but after i re-sealed my engine, with tranny out it's simple, i forgot to put lock-tight on the screw that holds the clutch bell/bearings in place.... lost a the screw, the outside bearing and FUBARD my spur gear...... :angry::angry::angry: oh well live and learn.