Help building nice maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erock

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a maxx with the proline sus. kit, fastlan raceing chassis with brace system. I want to make my maxx an all out race machine. I already have the motor picked out as well as the pipe. i'm looking to get aluminum bulk heads, skids, shock towers. anyone know of a place that makes good reliable parts like the ones listed for a reasonable price.

I just ordered some aluminum bulkheads from rc-solutions and they should be here mon. or tues. every one told me that they are very good bulkheads. I just bought my skids from tower I'm not sure waht kind they are but just about any skid should work in my openion dont know anything about shock towers.Id go w/ the rc-solutions bulks for shure though if you have that money

Normally racers want to keep it light, but I'd still suggest the al bulkheads.

These are the best ones I've found: GA Bulks, Full Kit with braces

They are made of 7075 al which is extra hard and durable. As for skids, I'd recommend RC-Solutions spring steel skids over any aluminum ones out there. With these skids, you don't need a bumper. And they are pretty cheap for how durable they are. THis is RC-Solutions site: RC-Solutions

I'd stick with stock shock towers. RPM ones are too flexible for racing, although, that's what makes them indestructable, but it hurts your shock movement. Besides, stock towers are cheap and pretty easy to replace. I'd never suggest al shock towers. You need something that either gives and returns to it's original shape (RPM) or something that is a good cheap weak point (stock towers). Running aluminum towers just opens you up for breaking other parts or tweeking your chassis.

If you must go aluminum with the towers, don't buy integy's. They bend like butter. I've read the GPM's and megatechs aren't all that great either. I have heard the hardcore racings are really durable HCR Shock Tower

ACNCM makes pretty good stuff, but they have the basher in mind. They don't remove any material that others do to save weight. Everything they make is extra beefy. ACNCM Tower

All I can say, is don't skimp on the bulks. They are one of the most important parts of the maxx. If you have solid bulkheads, it helps protect your maxx from head on collisions and from tearing itself apart when cartwheeling off the track. I never bought the GA bulks, but a friend of mine did and the kit is sweet. Just make sure to get the 7075's.

Last edited:
If you want to keep your Maxx super flat in the corners I can suggest the New Era Sway bar system. The only thing is that you have to buy the New Era bumper supports as well. I run the sway bars front and back on my Maxx and they work extremely well. I've seen other sway bars but I can suggest the New Era system out of personal experience. Good luck!

Thanks for all the help guys, the Ga bulkheads are a little to pircey but i saw they have an 80 dollar set instead of 150 what is teh difference and i also saw that cnc machineing had bulkheads aswell i was thinking maybe some of those too

hey rc madman does the UE shock tower come in a set of 2 or is it just one

The ACNC ones are nice for the price, but if your going to race, that means you need light components. The ACNC ones are heavy and designed for the basher.

Get the ones I posted the link for up above. They are made of 7075 t-6 aluminum. It's a full kit for $115 that includes front and rear bulks and front/rear bulkhead braces. The braces are nice as the front one covers up the whole gap inbetween the front bulks.

They may cost a little more than you want to pay, but they will reward you with long life and durability.

thanks, i guess my maxx will be nice with some nice rc solution skids, Ga bulk heads, and UE shock towers. My only concern is that the new fr.18 with the fantom or sirio pipe might not have the power to pull all this new aluminum thats going on it. I still want my maxx to be very fast and competitive in small block class

Like I said, I wouldn't personally ever run al shocktowers... just bulks. The steel skids aren't that heavy. I could weigh mine. I have a set and a half for sale. Used, but cheap.

The UE shock towers are super light and are almost as light as RPM Towers! They are made of 7075 so there super tough as well. I personally would not run anything but, these on my Maxx!

erock said:
thanks, i guess my maxx will be nice with some nice rc solution skids, Ga bulk heads, and UE shock towers. My only concern is that the new fr.18 with the fantom or sirio pipe might not have the power to pull all this new aluminum thats going on it. I still want my maxx to be very fast and competitive in small block class
Just remember the old adage,"To finish first, first you must finish." Go with what you need for the tracks you're racing on, and balance the wieght vs. the durabilty. I would go with the GA bulks, Ue towers, RC Sol. or Ti skids, a good set of shocks and some cvd's. Heavy-duty rod ends with Ti turnbuckles aren't a bad idea either. I've broke most of them(stock) during a race, and that ends your chance of winning. I broke a center drive just by casing the triple, and wrung a rear-left drive on a dirt oval (w/ a Sirio .18, 22/64 gears, and a SportMaxx single speed tranny on a sub 8 lb. lite Maxx.) And to think that my 1st Gen. Maxx lasted almost 4 yrs. with only cheap alum. shocks for an upgrade! Never raced it though... :boxing:

Last edited:
Back