Help / Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anubisram

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All, I am a new member seeking some help/advice on an issue I need to resolve for my 7-year-old son. Just over a year ago I bought him a pretty low-level introduction vehicle called a Tri Runner - made by http://www.scientific.com.hk/en/products/97136. The issue I have is around the battery. The original battery is a 9.5v Ni-MH slot in type and was charged via a fast charger like this - https://www.ebay.com/p/EZTEC-R-c-Rec...00S/1138656767. we have recently moved to Lithuania and seem to have lost the charger. I have contacted the manufacturer with no response. Later models appear to be using a different battery and charging system. I have searched the net for this charger or equivalent such as Nikko or Bright side to no avail. My queries are :

1. does anybody know where I can purchase this type of charger?

2. if I can't get the charger is there any other way to charge the battery?

3. can I modify the car to take a different battery with different connections and if so are there any guides out there?

Any help would be gratefully received. I don't want to give up on this as he only used it once when we were in the UK and loved it and now we have an ideal environment he is itching to get it going again. Thanks in advance.

1) I don't know.
2) Probably
3) Probably

Can you post a photo of the battery your trying to charge and show the contacts? Would help ascertain if something could be figured out. I'm guessing pretty much any current NiMH charger can charge the pack, would just be a matter of figuring out a connector. Those kinds of packs were typically just serial wired NiMH AA type cells if I remember right, been a few decades since I had a Nikko.

I use a basic hobby NiMH charger (MRC 959) to charge all sorts of stuff. I have had that thing for years and still use it to charge my glow heaters for nitro, my transmitters I use for everything and I used to use it on my old NiCAD 7.2/9.6V drills. I just had to make adapters to do it, then when charging, limit the current sent to the device. It was smart enough to detect when the cells were full, then it will drop to a trickle charger. I also use it to charge LSD NiMH AA's in 2/4/8 cell holders for household things.

That particular charger you linked didn't put out much power, 200mah. I don't usually charge my NiMH AA's at anymore than 500mah unless I'm really in a hurry, then I'll charge them at 1A. They aren't as robust as 2/3A or sub-C cells, so if you push too much current at them, they overheat and die or at the very least have a shorter life.

Use to do all of that in the early 90's ,including making my own cell count ,I had also used any means to charge
batteries up with a variety of home made stuff ,but to be safe ,I am not going to get into what I use to do!

You might just have to purchase a new different RC car ,hobby grade!.....:cool:

1) I don't know.
2) Probably
3) Probably

Can you post a photo of the battery your trying to charge and show the contacts? Would help ascertain if something could be figured out. I'm guessing pretty much any current NiMH charger can charge the pack, would just be a matter of figuring out a connector. Those kinds of packs were typically just serial wired NiMH AA type cells if I remember right, been a few decades since I had a Nikko.

I use a basic hobby NiMH charger (MRC 959) to charge all sorts of stuff. I have had that thing for years and still use it to charge my glow heaters for nitro, my transmitters I use for everything and I used to use it on my old NiCAD 7.2/9.6V drills. I just had to make adapters to do it, then when charging, limit the current sent to the device. It was smart enough to detect when the cells were full, then it will drop to a trickle charger. I also use it to charge LSD NiMH AA's in 2/4/8 cell holders for household things.

That particular charger you linked didn't put out much power, 200mah. I don't usually charge my NiMH AA's at anymore than 500mah unless I'm really in a hurry, then I'll charge them at 1A. They aren't as robust as 2/3A or sub-C cells, so if you push too much current at them, they overheat and die or at the very least have a shorter life.

it is the battery in the link https://picclick.co.uk/Eztec-96v-600mAH-Ni-MH-Slot-In-Battery-Pack-202319887584.html the connections are basically nipple type on the upper left and right side of the battery

Back