help a newbie pleasee!! condor engine problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingu_george

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
hello all I'm new to nitro cars and i bought a acme condor 2nd hand it was listed as it just needed a new pull start so i also bought one of them but i have since found out upon inspection it needs alot more for the engine.
i think it needs
gudgen pin
back plate
starter shaft

I'm not sure on anything else but i need adivce do i spend like £40 on all this or should i buy a new/2nd hand engine?
I've already tried a vx.18 engine and it was to big please help!!

Unless you know the seller personally, used engines are a box of trouble, all sellers say under a gallon! Barely used, adult owned!

And when you get it it's BEAT, run lean and worn out.

Not all sellers are dishonest, but I won't buy a used engine unless I know the seller or I have the engine in hand before I fork over the cash.

Being your new to the nitro, buy new, this way you know your starting out with a good engine and not somebody else's old nightmare.

£80.00, brand new, do your break-in and have fun.
http://www.rctoyworld.co.uk/team-infinity-rtr18s-engine--side-exhaust-2325-p.asp

Hello, fellow pound-user (fed up of using google usd to gbp converter)
I would go with what Nitro4910 said, that engine is good enough for you but in the future stay away from second hand engines, also- I wouldn't recommend Acme if you start getting serious with Nitro :)

How easy is it to put on a flywheel and clutch and all that? I can't find any engines anywhere with them already attached

Very easy. All you do is slide the clutch shoes over the two pins that come out of the front of the engine, then you have a collet that goes on then the flywheel and a nut. You can you tube a video. It's very simple. Those parts I mentioned are pretty inexpensive too.

Will I need any special tools? And could I just take all that igf the engine already in the car?

No special tools. I think the nut is like a size 10mm. I don't think you can install the flywheel if the engine is mounted to the car but I may be wrong. I've never tried to. All you do is remove the 4 screws from the engine that mounts it to the engine mount.

No I meant can I take the fly wheel off the current engine to put onto the new one?

If it's the same model size engine you can. I'm not 100 % that flywheels are interchangeable from one brand to the next. Someone that knows more about this will chime in I'm sure.

Thanks so much to all that have put in there input means a lot and has helped a lot does anyone know of any other engines that will 100% fit the condor?

As long as the new engine has the same type of crankshaft the flywheel should swap right over.

Any ideas on what other engines might fit perfectly? I was looking at the sh.18

Yes that one I've heard good things about them and I think its the engine they put in the condor pre 2009 anyway?

No clue about the Condor but SH makes Dynamite for the states which is what I have. It's a really nice engine. Only issue I've had is a small leak in the front bearing which after much research isn't uncommon and won't hurt anything as long as its a small leak. Anyways about the clutch/flywheel you can use the one you have like Nitro said, if the crankshaft is the same size as your current then it will work. I would make sure though, should be able to find that info online in the engines manuals (manufacturers websites). Good luck and keep us posted.

Ok thank you for the input this is the first forum I've posted in that has actually had replies I'm so greatful
Will be buying the sh.18 when I can afford it I think unless anyone else has another idea in the mean time thanks once again

How easy is it to put on a flywheel and clutch and all that? I can't find any engines anywhere with them already attached
Clutches are pretty simple to put on, for the flywheel you could use a removal tool to be safe...

The only thing that can be a little tricky is putting shoes on a standard 3 shoe clutch. They make a special tool that you really should buy in order to do it. The tool is only about 10-12 bucks. I did my very first oen with a screwdriver but but the time I finally got it done i would have paid 60 bucks for the tool. :)

Last edited:
No doubt. Either that tool or another clutch is my next purchase.

The only thing that can be a little tricky is putting shoes on a standard 3 shoe clutch. They make a special tool that you really should be in order to do it. The tool is only about 10-12 bucks. I did my very first oen with a screwdriver but but the time I finally got it done i would have paid 60 bucks for the tool. :)
Aaah yes, DEFINITELY worth a purchase- My attempt at putting one without the tool was fruitless...