Hello all - Revo 3.3 Problem....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaretM

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello all,

Just bought my first RC car ever. Nitro Revo 3.3. It is awesome so far. just broke in my engine.

All of a sudden on my 6th tank of fuel - it jumps forward (transmission engaged) when I attempt to start it with my ez starter.

Any help you all can provide a newbie like myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

It sounds like your idle may be incorrectly adjusted or the clutch shoe spring may have broken or came off. Will the car start up when this occurs?

Thanks a lot for responding. Yes it will start up if I hold it off the ground (it just wants to drive forward).

I put the EZ starter in and push it - the model immediately starts to drive forward but shuts down immediately. If I hold it up in the air (wheels off ground) it will start and proceed to drive. As soon as i put it back down it stalls out.

Thanks again for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Baret.

yep ..sounds like the clutch spring or maybe a broken shoe ..i had a clutch break in pieces just after 5 tanks ..i strongly suggest you upgrade to an aluminum 3 shoe clutch with individual springs ....i also have a 2 shoe aluminum that uses the stock spring ...seem to be working fine so far

Yes unfortunately these things can happen but don't worry this is an easy fix. You can sometimes even rig the old spring by bending a new loop in the broken end to at least hold until you get to the hobby store to get another one. In your manual it should tell you how to replace the clutch spring. Possibly in the back in the section where it tells you how to remove the engine and take it apart. If you need some guidance step by step we can arrange for that although I am not familiar with the Revo so I cannot tell you how to remove the engine from that particular model. I am sure someone else here can though if you need help.

yep ..sounds like the clutch spring or maybe a broken shoe ..i had a clutch break in pieces just after 5 tanks ..i strongly suggest you upgrade to an aluminum 3 shoe clutch with individual springs ....i also have a 2 shoe aluminum that uses the stock spring ...seem to be working fine so far

many thanks!

---------- Post added at 2:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:21 PM ----------

Yes unfortunately these things can happen but don't worry this is an easy fix. You can sometimes even rig the old spring by bending a new loop in the broken end to at least hold until you get to the hobby store to get another one. In your manual it should tell you how to replace the clutch spring. Possibly in the back in the section where it tells you how to remove the engine and take it apart. If you need some guidance step by step we can arrange for that although I am not familiar with the Revo so I cannot tell you how to remove the engine from that particular model. I am sure someone else here can though if you need help.

I really appreciate the assistance guys. Thanks a million.

I would suggest to look at the breakdowns in the paper work and slowly dismantle paying close attention to how it came apart because if I've learned one thing,its that if you own a Nitro truck you will be taking it apart and fixing it eventually.And remember when you run into trouble you have this great site to turn back to for help.

i would also recommend paying close attention when taking anything apart for the first time, you will gain knowledge on your rig as you go but untill then make sure you get yourself some space and take it apart slowly and get a container to put screws in, its never good loosing screws good luck though

Here are a couple of vids on how to remove a 3.3 engine and replace the clutch/shoes. It can be helpful to see it done before diving in yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV84Hp-GsDo"]How to Remove a Traxxas 3.3 Engine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqLWqAtiukg"]How to replace the clutch shoes on a traxxas 3.3 engine - YouTube[/ame]

Back