heli advice needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyke_696

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok so i got a msr x model and I'm getting very good with this thing in doors and out and i wanna step up my game even further whats a good heli to get into now any ideas or good advice

Also I'm keeping my msrx as a heli to play with i love this thing do they make any good mod i can use as well as do the metal upgrades add alot of weight (i sorry lol but do they make any other body looks for my msrx like canopies ect ...)

http://www.helifreak.com has some good forums and info on upgrades for the mSR and mSRX including brushless mods.

As far as upgrades go, I 'd say go to a CP type heli. Maybe something like an mCPX BL edition or better yet maybe the Blade 130.

Cool ill look into those helis I'm realy getting into this heli thing lol

That is the difference betweet the mcpxthe mcpx v2 and the mcpx bl

stay away from the blade cp pros. the reason i say that is, you can pick them up pretty cheap, but they are a pain to learn on, if it's your first Cp heli. second they break something on just about every crash. when i first started with heli's i went from a MSR, got it mastered and jumped into a Cp Pro. almost made me quit with Rc heli's. as Hamz stated mcpx would be a good step up ! good luck !

Ya the mcpx was what i was looking at b4 this post. But idk what i wanted to do so hey what do u think is a good idea to jump into?? And what about modz i love moding my stuff

there are a few good mods for the mcpx, mostly aftermarket aluminum upgrades. a stock bird is a pretty good flyer right out of the box.

Last edited:
The difference between the mCPX and the mCPX Bl is the Bl is a brushless right of the box and includes some of the mods that people have been doing at helifreak.com.

I definately would go with the mcpx BL. I'm planning on buying one pretty soon. I also said i would keep my msr to play with when I got my 1st cp heli, and i did, but i can't do cp and fp. If I've been flying fp I'll usually give it full negative pitch by accident and slam it into the ground.

Also I'm keeping my msrx as a heli to play with i love this thing do they make any good mod i can use as well as do the metal upgrades add alot of weight (i sorry lol but do they make any other body looks for my msrx like canopies ect ...)

The best mod would be getting a computerized trx (DX6 or up), if you're still using the stock one. It'll fly way better and you can really fine tune your settings. As far as a replacement heli, I'm going to have to go with the other guys and recommend the MCPX BL.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I would go with the 130xover the mCPX BL due to the fact that it is a bit larger (more stable), has a shaft-driven tail rotor (for better control) and has a lot of the aluminum mod installed out of the box. It also has the AS3X stabilization.

I'd stay away from the 130x if I were you, and I own one myself. It has been the most finicky, annoying POS RC heli I've ever owned, no joke. I haven't gotten more than 6 flights in a row on mine without a part failing on it, so it's been on a shelf for months as I hate even looking at it at this point. Sad part is, when it flies it's my favorite heli, but the QC is just so hit and miss on them.

There are no aluminum hop ups on them stock, but then again, a CP noob doesn't need that. Plastic with bend and snap back if it's not a hard hit aluminum bends and stays bent. Had the MCP X BL been around when I bought the 130x, I'd have bought it. All the small Blade helis have the AS3X stabilization system, even the MQX has it.

Absolutely go with the Spektrum Radio. I have the DX-7. If you buy another heli you won't be wasting money on another cheap controller that comes with it. Just build them bare bones or 'bind and fly'.

Wow lots of info thank you all now a few more questions being I'm super new to all this I'm good at flying yes but what i want to know at this point (I'm going mcx btw) does the. Will theyalum parts add alot of weight and and will they fix alot of my problemms with the balls poping off the plastic crap breaks alot and i meen alot....

Added question on my msrx are there any bodies out there for it that makes it look different i seen that the mcpx does so i wanna know if my msrx does

The aluminum parts don't really fix the problems from what I've read. They are also a bit heavier.

So what ur saying is pointless to buy them ... cause i have an issue with hitting something indoors and pow the ball joints pop off

The aluminum is not as good because the ball joints actually break. Again, this is what I've read, so I'm just not really sure from a first-hand experience.

Idk if its worth the extra cash to see if thats right or not lol all i know is its annoying :p

I'm confused; on one hand you say you're flying is good, but then you say you keep breaking parts. Are things simply falling apart or breaking in mid-air, or from crashes?

You never did answer my question about whether or not you can fly a whole battery in the 120SR and land safely without crashing either.

My msrx is all i got atm and yes i can fly for a full battery and land fine where i break things is at work indoors flying ppl walk thru and cause me to have to move fast thus crash ..or something of the sort i fly perfect outdoors :)u but idk it seems everytime i do crash pow its broken a ball joint

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Dont get me wrong I'm still what id call a rookie so i do have crashes when i fly but not alot and not all in one day i been flying it all day so far at work and nothing bad but 2days ago i crashed