Heavy truck electronics, whats working for you?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ippy47

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm building a 9lb capra and I'm not sure what electronics i can use in this thing. I was trying a riot xl 1100kv with castle copper head 10 on 4s but I'm still getting alot of cogging at low angle climbs. Are there transmission mods i could do? I feel like thats a part of it, it seems very high geared even though i only have a 9t pinion.

Are you sensored or sensorless? Sensorless eliminates cogging. If your sensorless, I would change the pinion, and even the ring and pinion for torque.

Maybe play around with programming? Theoretically the setup sounds like a good low speed combo. Not sure if the motor is powerful enough, though, not familiar with it.

Are you sensored or sensorless? Sensorless eliminates cogging. If your sensorless, I would change the pinion, and even the ring and pinion for torque.
I think I'm leaning towards buying the 3gear axial transmission adapter and sacrifice dig
Maybe play around with programming? Theoretically the setup sounds like a good low speed combo. Not sure if the motor is powerful enough, though, not familiar with it.
Yeah i wasn't sure either. The vendor said it should have no problem pushing a 9lb truck on 4s with low gearing so I'm leaning towards the transmission adapter.
I'm not sure where i could find the proper ring and pinion gears for these axles as i bought them off of AliExpress but that is a good idea to look into. This motor is a sensorless outrunner. What change would you make to the pinion? Quite frankly i dont even know where to find a smaller pinion. I looked on a lot of sites and couldnt seem to find below 9.

Last edited:
I have a pretty front heavy capra but I've never weighed it. I'm running the castle copperhead combo sensored and I've never experienced any cogging at all. Very smooth and powerfull combo. I apologize but I forgot what KV the motor was. Running a 9t pinion as well and on 3s. The gearing does seem a little high but even at the lightest throttle application its very smooth.

That being said, I think the hobbywing axe system I put in a trx4 is by far superior. The auto load sensing is amazing. I am fairly new to crawling so take my opinion for what its worth but I can't say enough about how great the axe system is. I'll definately use that system in the next crawler I build as well.

Back