Header mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm thinking of slightly shortening my header in order to add some clearance between itself and my S3 body. When I did my first body for this buggy I basically just cut a big chunk out of rear section of the body. It worked and the body lay nicely but it looked hack and I HATE HACK. I now have a decent little MIG welder and although MIG isn't the best choice for welding aluminum it is possible. I could buy a J-shaped header but they generally tend to push the pipe forward more and I don't want to do that either. This should be a relatively simple job. I just need a small roll of aluminum wire, an aluminum specific contact tip and a small Ar cylinder.

Here you can see how the contact with the header makes the body roll to the right. It looks like hell like that.

20090322_1570.gif

Here you can see where the contact is made. I want to cut a small section out of the header above above halfway and weld the two pieces together such that the backend of the pipe is closer to the engine and the header no long makes contact. There is A LOT of room for the header and pipe to swing closer to the engine so space is not an issue toward the inside.

20090322_1571.gif

Do you guys think this is a good idea or no?

If you shorten the header it will affect the tune. Long headers deliver more bottom end, shortening it increases top end power. This is done in small increments because you can cut it too short and ruin it.
I'd say find a little wider body if possible or just keep cutting the body out like you have been. It does not look that bad IMO.

Could you possibly use something like a brazing torch and heat the header and maybe give it a tighter bend radius. Re-shape it a little so it fits under the lid.

Scrogg said:
If you shorten the header it will affect the tune. Long headers deliver more bottom end, shortening it increases top end power.

Yes, I know that. It's a 3-port mill with a low end pipe so I'm not too concerned with losing some low end. I was thinking it might actually do this combo some good actually. If I had to guess I'd say I'd be taking off 1/4" of length. Do you not see the first pic? That looks horrible and I don't want to cut out that area. It can be done nicer if I take the extra step. As you can see there is a bump out for the header but it's not enough.

Could you possibly use something like a brazing torch and heat the header and maybe give it a tighter bend radius. Re-shape it a little so it fits under the lid.

Hmmm... I don't have a torch but that may also be feasible. My only issue there is that I may need to straighten out the end after I bend the curve since bending the curve would point the end of the header in some toward the center of the car.

Hmmm... I don't have a torch but that may also be feasible. My only issue there is that I may need to straighten out the end after I bend the curve since bending the curve would point the end of the header in some toward the center of the car.

That shouldn't be that hard to do. I reshaped the header on my cousins RS4 2, it rubbed the tire, so a little heat and some tweaking and it was perfect. You know any plumbers, someone who may have a map gas torch you could borrow?

Heat the header and use a small plumbers pipe bender, OR, try using a T/Tiger header on it if you can.

Either that or a dynamite alloy "C" header would work. maybe.......................

I'll have to see if anybody I know has a torch. I have another brand new header like this one so if I fubar it up, it's no big deal.

Fubar ?? u sure u aint from the UK ?? lol, i learnt what FUBAR meant when i was 9 !!!

I'll loan you my torch, just come and get it :p:

Seriously, you'll be far better off trying to heat and and bend as has been mentioned. Aluminum is tricky to weld especially with MIG. I guarantee it won't look pretty either.

Alrighty, I just need to find myself a little torch then. I bet somebody at work has one I could borrow. Does it need to be MAPP rather than butane? I imagine it needs to put out a pretty hot flame. I imagine MAPP is hotter just considering what's in it.

I would use mapp if you can get it, it will get hotter quicker than a butane or propane torch. I got one you can borrow, come on over :D

Sweet. I just landed a full bottle of MAPP from a friend so I'm halfway there. Unfortunately, I need to wait about a month before I can buy anymore toys.

Back