Have you plasti dip'd your receiver

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitrofan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I am about to waterproof some servos and am wondering if you have ever used any plasti dip on your receiver at all. I just got a new one and want to protect it. OK I know I can use a balloon to do it but think plasti dip would look a little neater.

i was thinkin about plastic dippin my reciever, but wut about where the servos plug into the reciever and where the scrystal plugs in? u owuld have to make sure u seal those holes before u dip them. but still, it wouldnt be water proof. i would just us a balloon.

later

I was wondering about that too. I guess just plastidip the servos and balloon the receiver. Better safe than sorry.

i was just thinkin and what about if u ballooned ur servo then sealed that up. then dipped it. then the balloon wouldnt tear as easily and would be even more water proof. if u check out my gallery u can see how i plastic dipped my servos, rechargeable battery pack and my bumpers.

later

Originally posted by Maxx Trooper
i was just thinkin and what about if u ballooned ur servo then sealed that up. then dipped it. then the balloon wouldnt tear as easily and would be even more water proof. if u check out my gallery u can see how i plastic dipped my servos, rechargeable battery pack and my bumpers.

later
My thoughts exactly.

Well after taking a look at my new receiver I guess I'ma just use a balloon or look at sealing the whole radio compartment and just leaving it at that. I am dipping my servos and letting those dry right now. I am still a little unsure of doing it all together but wutever. I swear I have seen some pics somewhere on this board of someone doing their receiver

That would be sweet if you could do that but i dont think it is going to happen. You would be better off just using a ballon or a zip lock baggy. Just my 2cents.

I've been thinking about doing that on my savage since i regularly run it when it's wet out. But i'm just too lazy.

You could do it if you had everything plugged in then dipped it. Or brushed it on and let it dry dangling from the servo wires.

I thought about it as well, but I go with balloons and black electrical tape over the balloon about 3 layers to protect the balloon from getting wear holes in it.

I tried the plastidip stuff once. It cracked and pealed off on my first outing. It dried for a week. I did it on a sunday and drove it the following saturday.

I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. (no pun intended)

I diped mine. I just taped off the plug and crytal slots. Diped it once. once Dry i had to take a razor blade and peel the tape off. once I plug everything back in and put it in the box I took some plastic dip on my finger and sealed up the seam on the RX cover. Then I used some marine goop to seal a hole I drilled in the top for all my wires to go through.

http://s89724942.onlinehome.us/images/RCSTUFF/TMAXX/TOP VIEW LID OFF.jpg

Do you bust up diffs or axles running 2 different kinds of tires on that thing?

Mine made a not so good noise when I ran those same tires on the front with Savage tires on the rear. The savage tires were about 1/2" taller.

I think it could work. Make sure everything is still plugged into your reciever (servos and battery). Pour the Plasti-Dip into a bowl and dip your reciever into it upside down, with the servo plugs facing down. Only cover about half of the reciever now so you don't get the Plasti-Dip up into the holes. Let it dry hanging upside down so it doesn't leak into the reciever.
After you do that, then dip the bottom half of the reciever.

After that dries good enough dip it all again for a thicker coat of Plasti-Dip.

Or you can take some silicone and put a bead of it around the opening and let it dry, and then dip it all into the Plasti-Dip. That'd probably be the easiest way.

Last edited:
I only put those on the rear to run in the snow.

I have 2 more rims with the same front tires also