Have I damaged my engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTee

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have tried to break in my Hyper 7 TQ black's enginge today ( Hyper 21 3p) and I can't get the temp up to 200* no matter how much I lean it out the closest I have got is 155* with tin foil round the head. I have been back out tonight and put 2 more tanks through it now, 5 in total and can only get about 130* now, I have turned the hsn about 3/4 turn in total to try and get it near 200* but no luck.

All that happens is it runs a couple of mins then bogs down and cuts out, the outside temp is about 35* will this make a difference? I am using Byrons gen II 25% nitro witch the shop that I bought the Hyper from said to use. Also my glow starter battery isnt up to much as it wont last long the lhs said to charge it for 6.5 hours, its a 3000mah and the chargers out put is 450mah.

Thanks in advance.

You're running very rich in very cold weather. Not a good way to break in an engine. Breaking in is all about heat cycling to get a good fit between the cylinder and piston. Running too cold and too rich will not do that. Leaning it out too much in an attempt to reach higher temps will starve it for oil and ruin it for sure.

How dio I get it up to temp or is it to late now?

Wrap the head with a paper towel/ziptie or the top of a baby sock. This will help keep the heat in and let the temps climb without excessive over-leaning. Just make sure to not run it where the towel or sock will get wet as this will make it worse than what your currently dealing with.

Depending on how much fuel you've ran, you may be ok. Granted, not the best case scenario for a new engine, but it should run for a while.

I make it a point to not break-in an engine when it's below 50F out. But, I have old engines I can run in the winter, so I'm not stuck with a single engine world. ;)

Try wrapping a cuff or 2 from an infant's sock around the head. Run with the body on. Go back to factory settings and see what temp you get, then start from there.
I won't even run a well broken in engine when the outside temp is below 40. With a new engine it's a real strain and will shorten it's life time.

I have set the hsn back to factory settings and I will wrap a sock around the head and try it again tomorrow. Since it has had 5 tanks through it how should I run it? and if I can't get it to 200* what should do.

Start saving for a new engine... then go beat the snot out of this one and if it lasts the winter/colder months, then keep it as your winter engine.

Probably your best choice anyway. Then you won't have to worry so much next winter.

Back