Hate when this happens!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe crawler

Stand up and be counted…
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Started a print last night( still new to the 3d printing) got a file off thingiverse. I’m using blue tape & purple glue stick to hold prints to bed. What would be the best way to keep this from happening? Would a mat be better than the tape?
0A08A4B6-6CFA-4C63-9957-60C9E6B1022A.jpeg

Get away from the tape. Glue stick helps on big flat parts like that, but that may have a few things causing that.

Your first layer should look somewhat transparent. It should not feel like a round string of filament when the first perimeter goes down. It should feel like a flat strip, and the thinner it is the better

Also, do you have any ductwork blowing near the printer? Any kind of draft? What is the ambient temp in the room where the printer is? The hotter it is, the better your prints will be. If the area is cool, or if there is a breeze anywhere near the printer, it will cause warping.

What type of material are you printing? What is your infill set to? How many top, bottom, and perimeters are you using? And what is your bed and nozzle temp set to?

My typical print is .200 layer height, 20%-25% infill, 3 perimeters, and 4 or 5 top and bottom layers. Temps are 210c at the nozzle, and 62c-65c on the bed.

I have had decent luck with the magnetic mat and some hairspray on it. Definitely being near ductwork is baaaaad.

I have had decent luck with the magnetic mat and some hairspray on it. Definitely being near ductwork is baaaaad.
I tried hairspray when I first started printing. But that chit goes everywhere.

So far I think theres only ever been 1 or 2 prints I've done where I needed to use glue stick. If your bed level is right and your hot end/bed temps are right you shouldnt have much of an issue with prints sticking. Like WF said though make sure you dont have any cool air breezing its way past your printer

Here’s what I guess it ran as( I’m not the most computer savvy guy around) 😂
I used PLA. Fr was set to 75%, bed was 50c & nozzle at 200. Printer is in basement at mid 60’sF
Don’t think there’s much of a breeze other than me staring at it 🤤
8E971E81-73CD-4652-9DBA-52EA08DB6877.jpeg
AC8C3A3D-350D-4417-8CE8-11BB1C63CB75.jpeg

Being in a 60° room isn't going to be good (especially for large prints). That's really too cold to be printing. Crank your bed temp up to 65°C. That will help combat the cold environment. If you have a large cardboard box you can place around the printer, or anything to try to keep that area warmer, it will help a bunch. Just make sure you don't interfere with the movement of the machine or the bed heater cable coming out of the back of the bed. You can also build a tent with a plastic drop cloth over the printer.

Any particular reason it's in the basement?

I tried hairspray when I first started printing. But that chit goes everywhere.
I use hairspray in the pump bottle thinned with 91% alcohol.. Trick is spray it on a cloth and wipe the bed down. LOL I love when I watch YT vids and you see it caked on the display screen etc..LOL .I Mainly use it to help release the part. I'm one of those peeps that can't see how everybody has adhesion issues.. my main problem from the get go was things sticking too good,LOL

I use hairspray in the pump bottle thinned with 91% alcohol.. Trick is spray it on a cloth and wipe the bed down. LOL I love when I watch YT vids and you see it caked on the display screen etc..LOL .I Mainly use it to help release the part. I'm one of those peeps that can't see how everybody has adhesion issues.. my main problem from the get go was things sticking too good,LOL
I also rarely have adhesion issues. Every once in awhile in its cold in the house and I'm printing something large and flat then I might get some warping around the corners. Thats when I usually use a little glue stick just on the corners and that usually does the trick.