Has anybody ever been made fun of or harassed due to their RC Hobbies or Nitro RC cars? Share your stories on this thread.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to my face, but pretty sure it does happen. Makes sense... seeing a 45yo dude out playing with "toys" is a bit amusing. People that don't "get it" that I care about "getting it", I let them see the trucks in action, then they get how it's more of hobby and less of a toy.

If I had the money and the space, I'd ride motocross, quads, 4x4 trucks, but I don't. So this is as close as I get to that and it is enjoyable.

Make fun of me?
I'm certain there are, but I also don't get things like sports teams fanaticism. I don't expect them to get the allure and passion I have for my hobbies, because I certainly don't get the love they have for their hobbies and interests.
Harassment for my rc hobby?
Fortunately, never.

this is a great thread!!! keep it going folks!!! I'm not able to respond right now but I will be reading all of your responses later on.

That's the beauty of being old enough to not care what others think, being made fun of doesn't bother me in the least. Harassement hasn't been a problem, I only drive my cars where nobody else is around.

Anybody who has seen us fly our airplanes has been either curious or just thought it was awesome. I tend to try to enjoy my hobby away from the general public. My hobby time, is for my to relax and enjoy, not to entertain others.

That's the beauty of being old enough to not care what others think, being made fun of doesn't bother me in the least. Harassement hasn't been a problem, I only drive my cars where nobody else is around.

Anybody who has seen us fly our airplanes has been either curious or just thought it was awesome. I tend to try to enjoy my hobby away from the general public. My hobby time, is for my to relax and enjoy, not to entertain others.
Try doing promos to try a HELP build this hobby. nothing like being front stage at Toledo speedway running a rc with 7K people..oh what a rush..

Try doing promos to try a HELP build this hobby. nothing like being front stage at Toledo speedway running a rc with 7K people..oh what a rush..
Nope, uh,uh, no thank you. Rc is "me time". Back in the day I was on a BMX Freestyle team, we did lots of shows, done the whole packed stadium thing, it was fun then, but the older I get the less I like the general public.

Well said, Sir!

I follow the same exact mantra

Nope, uh,uh, no thank you. Rc is "me time". Back in the day I was on a BMX Freestyle team, we did lots of shows, done the whole packed stadium thing, it was fun then, but the older I get the less I like the general public.
Haha I think we kinda live parallel lives!

I also am becoming ever increasingly not a fan of the general public. I'm not antisocial by any means, but most people annoy me after awhile. Also, nowadays, I'm rather comfortable doing things alone.

As a teenager back in the 80's, I was a huge fan of BMX freestyle. It took me years to finally score a used GT Pro Performer for a bargain price from a buddy getting out of the sport. I never got that good at it, but, man, those are some wonderful, happy memories!
I wished I still had that GT. When I finished school, and had to act fast to land a job in Hawaii, I left my GT at a cousin's house. When I moved back to the East coast, 5 years later, I found out that they had done a major house cleaning and one of the things that was purged was my GT. They just figured a grown man just didn't need a BMX bicycle any more. I don't blame them, since I never mentioned anything about the bike the whole time I was away.

Haha I think we kinda live parallel lives!

I also am becoming ever increasingly not a fan of the general public. I'm not antisocial by any means, but most people annoy me after awhile. Also, nowadays, I'm rather comfortable doing things alone.

As a teenager back in the 80's, I was a huge fan of BMX freestyle. It took me years to finally score a used GT Pro Performer for a bargain price from a buddy getting out of the sport. I never got that good at it, but, man, those are some wonderful, happy memories!
I wished I still had that GT. When I finished school, and had to act fast to land a job in Hawaii, I left my GT at a cousin's house. When I moved back to the East coast, 5 years later, I found out that they had done a major house cleaning and one of the things that was purged was my GT. They just figured a grown man just didn't need a BMX bicycle any more. I don't blame them, since I never mentioned anything about the bike the whole time I was away.
I think I got rid of my Haro Master about 5 years ago, I hadn't really used it for a couple of years, and of course now I regret it. The funny thing is they just reissued a limited time retro addition for a mere $1200.00.>>>> Insert Heavy sigh.

I also lived in Hawaii from 1973 to 1978 in Pearl City on Oahu. That was when I scored my first BMX bike, A Mongoose. :)

Last edited:

I just want to put my two cents in I haven't read all the responses yet. But I read bits and pieces. I just want to put my two cents in. This is 13 minutes long.

My neighbors actually seem slightly delighted actually when they see my GF and I going out to drive our buggies. Why would they harass us or make fun of us? We're just going out to have some harmless fun. One time some kids walked onto the area where we were driving and they were just curious, haven't gotten any complaints whatsoever. We don't drive in the street right outside the building of course, we'll go to an empty playground or something to try and avoid disturbing people.

In my town it's rather adults than kids that drive RC cars actually.

Haven't had anyone razz me. Get lots of positive feedback from folks and the two main questions i get are "how fast and how much". Turning double nickels next month, i stopped worrying what others think a long time ago or at least i should have, i do sometimes feel self conscious when partaking in my newest hobby, that's when having a dog comes in handy to help ease my anxieties...
minibosco01cprs.jpg

Only really one person saying they think it's weird and insinuating that I'm a creep because of it. I like to drive at the skate park but I won't go there if there are kids around or on my own. Mostly I keep to unoccupied areas, with a GoPro on my head I don't like to be out in public places with people around.

It does tarnish the hobby to me if people would think that way as above.

I love it and keep enjoying it, the reaction I get from anyone that does see me launching the cars is usually extremely positive, I love that people think it's so easy till they have a go for the first time, then the reality sets in that it takes skill and a lot of practice to do what we do.

This is a video I did with a friend, we were at the skatepark towards the end of the video, but normally I won't drive there.

After seeing them run they usually don't say much, but you can definitely sense the cringe when they think that you play with "kids toys"🙄

Usually the people who complain about stuff like that out in public ,are usually the ones
that feed off of drama ,an will actually create the scene for it ,but on the other hand ,
if one is around their property creating a noise with an RC could be a clause in that factor.
One would have to look up the rules that is in your neighborhood area!..:cool:

I ran over my 10 year old grandson's foot/ankle recently - not on purpose of course. (No permanent damage) I got harassed over that incident, not by my grandson but by his mother. I had no excuse so I just had to grin and bear it)

Two of the places we run are Clay Peaks Motorcycle Park in Payette Idaho and the other is the Weiser Sand Dunes in Weiser Idaho, "my home town" and usually the motorcyle riders stop and watch us run as do the riders at the sand dunes. Kind of a welcome feeling so to speak...:)