Hard Pull start - not flooded

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshiestevens

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Apart from my engine not starting, the pull start is really hard. I start it, (if it starts for more than about 3 secs - doesn't bog down, just cuts out), and when I accelerate to about half throttle, it just cuts out.

My pull start is also hard sometinmes when I pull it, kind of like when I flood it. But when I turn the truck upside down and remove the glowplug, and pull the pull start, a lot of oil comes out the engine head.

Ahhh, I am confused.

Hope you can help

Josh

You might want to try using 2 gold washers on your glow plug instead of one.That should fix your pulll start problem. As for your car starting and stalling you might want to try tunning your engine.

From what you are describing, your engine is flooded...or getting hyrdo-locked.

Does it sound rich or lean? ANd why is so much oil getting in

You are deffinetly flooded and you might have fouled your glow plug. Be careful here but get a new glow plug and turn you high speed needle about half a turn clockwise or to the right, note where it was for your memory. Start it up, let it run for a minute (it should run since you just made it leaner) Tune from there. I would like to know what engine you have so I can give you the baseline settings so you can start from there instead of just turning the high speed needle clockwise half a turn.

I have charged my glow start, and I will try again tomorrow. (I do not think it is the glow plug, but I have spare).

I had just finished a litre of 12% after break in, and I decided to switch to 18% to get some more power out of the Kyosho TR-15 Stadium Force .15 engine. It was a few weeks after I last drove it, so I filled a tank of 18%. If I can remember correctly, the car started, and I drove it fine. I then tried to start it later, and I couldnt start it, or it stalled, so I tried playing around with the needles but no luck. Thats pretty much the story, but I have visualised where the needles were in the first place before fiddling with them, and I can't get the truck working.

Thanks and hope you can help

Josh

It seems that Kyosho says that truck comes with this engine:

Kyosho GT15S-CR w/recoil start (included)
kyoc0436insb.jpg

Is that the engine or did you swap it out for a .15 Force engine?

If you do in fact have the Force .15 engine then here are the factory settings:

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/docs/Force15 STD setting.pdf

Set the engine to factory and use a new glow plug just to rule that out.

Hi there.

I havent changed from the stock engine so I am using Kyosho GT15S-CR w/recoil start.
The link you gave me was for a different engine.

I am getting even more annyed. As I said, my pull start goes hard quite often, well I ignored it for ages, and I was juts pulling and I pulled it, and the it broke pretty muct, there is about 1foot of string dangling, and I refuse to buy a new one, so I am going to take it apart and try and fix it. The irony of this is that the car was workign before hand, and it has only stopped working since it has come back from Kyosho UK after a manufacturing fault and they rebuilt the car.

I hope you can help, because as well as that, when the car starts, the wheels move and it moves on the floor as if the centifugal clutch isnt working right. This happens even if I tighten the brake, and I can see he metal gear vibrating and moving the spur gear.

I am in a deep hole and need to get out.

Hope you guys can help more, and I really appreciate your effort.

Keep it going'
Josh

No worries your engine just isn't tuned right. Your idle I am guessing is high and hence the reason your wheels move. I will look for factory setting but why not just call Kyosho tech support in the UK if they just supposidly fixed it.

you may want to also check your clutch bearings to make sure you don't have one that's seized or binding.you could try rolling the truck across the floor by hand and seeing if the flywheel moves when you push it,if your bearings are ok the flywheel shouldn't move.

I tried rolling the car, and te flywheel doesn't spin.

Do you have any tips on fixing the pull start

Have you ound any factory settings for my mill. Also, do you have any tips on fixing broken pull starts where the string has all come out, but still attached. I think the spring has broken at the end.

HumboldtBlazer said:
but why not just call Kyosho tech support in the UK if they just supposidly fixed it.

this would be the most efficient way of fixing your car in a timely manner