GS Storm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinRazorback

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got a Storm RTR but have not broken it in yet. Is there anything that I should look for or try to avoid when I get her going. Also, I will eventually start replacing parts to get it as close to the Pro as I can. Which hop-ups are worth the money and which ones aren't. Thanks in advance, I am looking forward to running 1/8 scale.

Use lock tight and check every nut bolt and screw before you start it up.
Great buggies, two of my friends just got them and it was funny watching parts fly off of both of them dew to factory louse screws.

Make sure that the Differentials are SHIMMED!!
I just went through a nightmare of almost two months looking for replacement gears because they were not shimmed properly from the factory.

There should be a .2mm shim installed on the front and the rear differential to get the correct gear lash - otherwise you'll toast the diffs after a couple of tanks after break in.

Refer to the directions and you'll see how the assembly is supposed to go together and where the shim goes. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP...this is a known issue with the Storms and is the main reason that ABSOLUTELY NOONE HAS the gears in stock.

Other than that...do what FastEddy says...check all the screws and fasteners, make sure that they're locktited. Especially the output yokes from the center diff and the input yokes to the front and rear diffs.

That stock pipe is LOUD too...I put on a CVEC .21 pipe and it's more powerfull accross the entire RPM band, not to mention MUCH quieter.

Read up on the radio - it's a great one, but get to know all the settings.

It is one of the newer RTR's with the gold shims. I was told that this was corrected on the production line and it was the black shims that had this problem. What about the engine that comes with it? I can't find any settings to start from. I guess I'll just go flush with high and low settings and go from there. Unless any of you guys have some exact settings to start from. The engine is brand new, and the chassis has about 6 runs in the driveway on it.

Oh yeah, what model # pipe did you put on it. I would probably need a low to mid range pipe due to smaller track size.

Thanks
Mike

i have one of these. the best hopups which i have on it are : full universals which are definitely needed (front already included), make sure u get a new engine ( i dropped in an b s7), better tires, full digital servos(i recommend hitec), an ofna 1 piece pipe ( the shiny one...and make sure its by ofna) o yea and stock receiver sucks totally i got a novak for long range and precise action. also get a battery pack from losi. u dont really need any carbin fiber or anything...

Thanks joolz....Since I posted this I have stepped up to a Storm Pro. Just got it this week actually. I think I'm gonna drop in a basic engine (Hyper P8) for cost purposes and to just have something to get the buggy on the track to start dialing it in. Hopefully next spring I can upgrade the engine to a RB,CMB, etc. I also didn't want to spend alot of money now, cause I got my eye on the Fantom .21 when it comes out.

I was looking at the Ofna 1 piece, is it more low-end or top-end? Not a bad price @ $70 at my LHS.

If you have not started the engine yet put some after run oil in it and let it soak in before doing the break in.

Thanks for the tip Hunter. May I ask why? I'll do it anyways, just curious.

Its good to prelube the engine before you start it. Some engines come just a little dry from the factory.

the ofna pipe has the best shape i have experimented with all other. it smoothens the power band and gives outrageous bottom end. i put my picco on a dyno and found that the ofna pipe increses power 37 percent....not bad eh?

Originally posted by j0olz
the ofna pipe has the best shape i have experimented with all other. it smoothens the power band and gives outrageous bottom end. i put my picco on a dyno and found that the ofna pipe increses power 37 percent....not bad eh?

Over what other pipes??? Also give more info like what fuel you used for the tests and the temps at test time.

well i tested using the stock pipe from a gs storm as a starting point. i then gave percentages on the power increase from that pipe. i tested hpi, cvec, paris, rb, and rossi pipes. the ofna pipe has the best shape and the large divergent cone really gives it that "oomph." my picco ran around 240 degrees properly tuned with the ofna pipe. all the other pipes ran higher than 260 degrees. this experiments were done using a profeessional dyno. i was running o donnel 30% nitro 12 % lubricant. i broke the engine in to factory specs using trinity break in blend.

Now thats what I like to see someone that backs up what they say. Have one on me :cheers: Oh who's dyno were you using???

well i work for a mechanical engineering firm. we have all kinds of crazy machinery. i actually coaxed my boss to buying a dyno for "experimental puposes":p working there also gives me access to CNC milling machines where i can leech off of the stock graphite and titanium=devil

Beware Of the hyper 7 thats just about to lap ya!!

FRB is gonna get a kick out of this one!!

Does any one check dates b4 they dig this poop up or what?

Originally posted by grahama89
threadraisethedead.jpg

Originally posted by grahama89

whatch your ass FRB!!!!

check dates???? WTF?????

Last edited:
Yes....lock tite everything as eddy said. As far as perforamnce parts. Everything on the storm seems pretty fit. I'm sure some carbon fiber and titanium parts would be innorder. I has my eye on those Storm Traction Diffs....but then i saw they wew like 450 bucks for 2 of them and about killed myself right then and there. But for u punks with jobs, maybe you could afford 400 for 70% more traction. Oh yes..A problem i has with mine...If i jump my car alot their is a screw in the hubcarrier that holds a pin in, lock tite that thing to hell and back...mine come out and locked the wheel up and about never found out what was wrong with it. Be ready to change tires in around a month...i wouldnt go as far to say to get a new engine becasue mine is damn durable and tuns pretty good at 190 or so degrees.

Last edited:
Back