Grashopper grinding gears help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSHOE75

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My grasshopper seams to be grinding gears in forward, reverse is not grinding. It sounds and feels like grinding. I included you tube video. Any help on how to fix, what and where to get any needed parts? It has upgraded motor, if I remember, it ran find for a week or so and then started with the grinding, it then sat on shelf for 3 years, I wanna get it going now. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20211019_190532.jpg
    20211019_190532.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211019_190453.jpg
    20211019_190453.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 26
check gear mesh. Id use the ole paper trick to set gear mesh. loosen motor then put a piece of paper in-between pinion and spur then tighten motor screws again.

check gear mesh. Id use the ole paper trick to set gear mesh. loosen motor then put a piece of paper in-between pinion and spur then tighten motor screws again.
The paper trick is amazing, I always use it and never had a gear strip after using it.

My grasshopper seams to be grinding gears in forward, reverse is not grinding. It sounds and feels like grinding. I included you tube video. Any help on how to fix, what and where to get any needed parts? It has upgraded motor, if I remember, it ran find for a week or so and then started with the grinding, it then sat on shelf for 3 years, I wanna get it going now. Thank you.
Like TNT said, check gear mesh, but also check the motor screws and make sure they arent loose. It almost sounds like the motor is moving around, and drawing away from the spur going forward, but then getting closer to the spur in reverse.

Well all the guys are correct. It's the gear mesh. It's also because the one screw for the motor set is loose..But with the Grasshopper you won't be able to use the paper trick to mess the gears. Because the hopper has a closed notor and tranns. I have the hopper you have to take off the motor cover plate. And then adjust the pinon gear and drive gear by eye. Since it sat for 3yrs you probably need some grease as well. You really should ooen the tranns up.. Take off the rear. And open the tranns box make sure you didn't chew up or strip any gears. To be safe..Take the motor off. The rear is basically take off tires then the 4 screws holding it to chassis. Then take off motor plate and motor. Then split tranns box apart.. you can use a synthetic grease. I use Lucas red n tacky or their marine grease.. because whatever grease was in there is probably dried up by now.. then put some loctite on pinon gear on motor. After you check and grease tranns. Put back on chassis and the use loctite on the motor mount screws as well. Won't allow the motor to move anymore.. then mesh your pinon and drive gear together not to close but the gear teeth should over lap each other. Then tighten the motor screws... turn tires to check the mesh by hand.. then check again with a battery hooked up and with power and controller. If it looks and sounds good put back on motor plate.. and have fun.. you could put grease in threw the opening of the motor plate. Buy its better if you check all the gears in tranns...
20211020_050127.jpg