Got a Heli For Christmas!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the MCP is too hot for any real flying indoors, and the MSR while great for learning drives me nuts with the odd issues with the 45* flybar setup now. So, enter the new MSR X. It has the same AS3X (read Beast X) flybarless tech that the MCP X has, and I'm shocked at how different it flies from my regular MSR. It will NOT self correct at all (at least I haven't had enough room to get it to), you have to fly it all the time, even in a hover. It feels VERY close to my MCP X collective pitch heli in behavior and flight characteristics. This thing is awesome, and should make a great winter time indoor trainer.

P1030439Small.jpg

P1030447Small.jpg

P1030450Small.jpg

Do these come with battery packs or one installed in it? If so whats average run time? Ilike that and may look into one since I want to start learning.

Good to know. I was looking for the next step from mSR and couldn't quite get my head around the price of the mCP-x.

I wanted to add also, that this is my third flybarless heli to date. I will NEVER fly another flybar model ever again at this point. Some guys prefer them, mostly smack 3D guys. But I for one love the locked in feel and outstanding tracking that flybarless yields. That one advancement in tech helped my flying a ton. Not to mention how much simpler mechanical setup is if I don bonk it. It's all personal preference, but I'll never go back.

Do these come with battery packs or one installed in it? If so whats average run time? Ilike that and may look into one since I want to start learning.

Nope, and that's my only complaint. In the past all the E Flite BNF (bind n fly) models came with a charger and two batteries. This one came with heli only, nothing else included. Then again as good as it flies, I'll make that trade off. With the old MSR 150mah packs, I get about 4:00 before LVC, so I set my timer at 3:30. Packs are silly cheap at about $4 each, so I just buy a bunch of them.

If it's your first heli ever, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd recommend the Blade MCX 2. Once you have all orientations down with that, and can pretty much make it do anything you want, then go to the MSR or MSR X. The X is set up hot out of the box. I actually moved the swash links to the shorter (less agressive) balls on the swash, and programmed in some dual rate and expo in my TX for indoor action. Even with that, it's still pretty twitchy in small spaces. But that's good, as it feels really close to a CP heli, which I like.

That's a great little heli for stepping up from the auto floaters to the big boys. Have fun with it.

Thanks Rolex, I'm really diggin it so far. It's mega awesome! :D

Good to know. I was looking for the next step from mSR and couldn't quite get my head around the price of the mCP-x.

Hamz, I think it's the perfect next heli after an MSR. It flies very much like the MCPx (which I also have) yet has the durability of the original MSR so it's a win win for indoors. The price of the MCP X is hard to swallow, until you crash it repeatedly while learning and rarely break anything at all. A year ago, that was unheard of in a collective pitch heli. My flying has progressed by leaps and bounds thanks to it alone. I'll never be without one in my hangar as long as they make them. With a few mods, it's the perfect beater CP to learn aerobatics and mild 3D.

Last edited:
My MSR X is dead

Well, not dead exactly, but here's what's going on as posted over at HF.

Well, I think I have a bad unit. I messed with it tonight, put the links back to where they were (I adjusted them for a level swash), did a re-bind twice, and it's still uncontrollable. So, I held the heli down on a level surface, and spooled up slowly, never touching the cyclic stick. As expected, the swash starts jumping around. Thinking it may have been rotor wash, I held it in the air and plugged in and armed it holding as level as I could (I used the line on the waynescoat on the walls for a visual refrence) so there would be no rotor wash. Same thing, at times it would feed in full back or forward elevator. And it's elevator only related, no aileron oddities.

Thinking it might have been simply a loose servo plug, I went to check. I now see they've direct soldered the servo wires to the board. Meaning if you don't have really good soldering skills, if one dies you have to buy a whole board, for $75 :whhooo: the whole heli was only $120.

I just can't understand E Flite sometimes. I really like some of their products, and I mean I really like them. But I swear they're determined to bleed us dry on parts after the fact.

My original MSR has had the hell beat out of it for 18 months by me, and I even let friends fly it too. The only thing ever broken was a set of skids, and the canopy. It's still on the original motors even, and still flies great, with hundreds, possibly over 1000 flights on it by now.

From info at HF and RCG, I'm not the only one having weird flight issues with the AS3X programming, far from it actually. I think this thing was rushed to market way before it was ready, and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it. Should have put it towards a Beast X for my 600 instead.

helis are so hard to fly i think I've never had a real expenisve one but some descent one not really sure what it was it was a while ago but it was horrible at flying it i think there so hard to fly

sweet bird ! my new heli should be here next week can't wait to get the thing and see how she flys!

helis are so hard to fly i think I've never had a real expenisve one but some descent one not really sure what it was it was a while ago but it was horrible at flying it i think there so hard to fly

They can be, I even quit helis once completely from going about it the wrong way. But, I came back, went through the recommended stages in the learning curve, as well as a good sim, and I'm happy to report that the second go around I'm enjoying helis more than anything I've ever done in RC.

sweet bird ! my new heli should be here next week can't wait to get the thing and see how she flys!

Thanks man, it was until the issues started happening. I'm sure Horizon will take good care of me though. Post up some pics when you get it, congrats!!

I bought a MSRX a week ago and the main motor has already fried itself. One good thing about E-flite is customer service. They ask me to spool it up on speaker phone and heard what it's doing, new motor is in the mail. Other than that I love it! Can't wait to see if they will do the 120 flybar less that would be a sweet one also.

I checked at lhs and they have BNF version but not the higher C batteries for it in stock. Bummer. Guess I need to wait a while longer.

I bought a MSRX a week ago and the main motor has already fried itself. One good thing about E-flite is customer service. They ask me to spool it up on speaker phone and heard what it's doing, new motor is in the mail. Other than that I love it! Can't wait to see if they will do the 120 flybar less that would be a sweet one also.

Yep, they do have great service, at least they always have with me. I'm hoping for a 120 sized brushless CP heli.

I checked at lhs and they have BNF version but not the higher C batteries for it in stock. Bummer. Guess I need to wait a while longer.

Hamz, I'm using the 150mah 12C MSR packs, and they're fine other than shorter flight times. You can get a 5 pack on the bay from power hobbies for $12.99. I only got the BNF basic version as well.

I was told that they need a 25c battery to keep from frying the ESC from current starvation.

I was told that they need a 25c battery to keep from frying the ESC from current starvation.

Really, I hadn't heard that. Hmmmm, wonder if my packs could be causing my issue. I have tons of MCP packs, gonna go do a test flight with my MCP skids and pack (lots of guys doing this over at HF). Thanks hamz!!

got my GW Xieda 9958 today and damn is that thing fast! also got my Blade mcx today too! love them both! but the Gw is almost to fast to fly in the house !

got my GW Xieda 9958 today and damn is that thing fast! also got my Blade mcx today too! love them both! but the Gw is almost to fast to fly in the house !

Ha ha, I told you it might be a little too hot for indoors. Congrats man, helis are a lot of fun, and air RC vehicles open up that third dimension, and you have no set course you have to follow. There's just something magic about that alone.

UPDATE: MCP X packs didn't do the trick, same behavior, gonna call HH on Monday.