Good servos for slash 2wd (besides stock/Traxxas upgraded servos)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock Traxxas servos are OK, but they are a bit slow and not very torquey. I use Protek Metal Gear servos in everything, except my Slash because it hasn't broken yet and the SCX24, because there is no option.

They can be a little bit pricey, but still less expensive than others. They have options for metal gears, waterproof and high voltage.

Other people have used Reefs, Hitec and EcoPower with good results.

Personally I can't stand the noise that Savox makes.

Amazon special. Have these in most of my rigs, including my 2wd Slash. Great budget servo.
View attachment 156741

Believe it or not, but i make a couple of racing podiums (buggy 1/10 spec) this fall with this basic servo..

IMG_45fsfd79.jpg

I put the OMG servo I had in the slash in my B74. (20 kg, all metal gears) I will only have it in for a short time until I get a better servo.
PXL_20221218_024639384.jpg

Pro Modeler servos. American made and priced competitively and less than the comparable Chinese brands. The brushless ones are the better ones. https://www.promodeler.com/brushless-servos.aspx

What servos are you comparing these to? The chinese ones mentioned most in this, you can buy 5 or 6 of them for the price of one of the ones you linked.
For a 1/10 2wd, a ProModeler DS270DLHV would suffice at first glance. The ProModeler DS305CLHV would be overkill, but is what I'd use. Why? Because it's the first on the list (price list from low to high) of standard servos that doesn't say "Not for surface use". Why is that? I don't know, but have meant to ask John.

People probably laugh at me 'cause I use some "old school" Associated DS1015 14.5 kg/cm (201.4 oz/in) @ 6V servos in a lot of my RCs including 1/8 scale eBuggies, and 4wd mini truggy. It hasn't been all that long ago, but those ACE/Thunder Tiger/Associated servos used to be a top pick among 1/8 scale buggy drivers, and when they were being discontinued, a person could pick them up cheap.

Quality... that's all I can say.

So we and I determined I keep breaking the pegs because of the servo I been using. I had been using a OMG 20kg servo. The OMG servo is a bit taller and wider and does not fit where it goes perfectly. The Traxxas 2075R servo I have fits perfectly. I don't want to go back to the Traxxas servo because the Traxxas one is slow. I could feel the difference when turning the servos by hand. The OMG one feels more free and turns more freely than the Traxxas servo. So I want to find the same size servo but the same like freely turning as the OMG servo. I know savox is a good brand but i really don't know that much about servos and what I am looking for. Looking for a faster servo, all fully metal gear. I had been told that the ecopower servos (had one for the mini b) has metal gears but there is a plastic one in the center. Some brands are savox, protek, hitec, futaba, tekin. Might move my budget a little higher. My budget is 40 to 70ish dollars.
Traxxas does have their 400 and and 330 high torque servos but they are just .. expensive.
EcoPower is more or less a rebranded JX Servo. At least the EcoPower WP120T seems to point to a JX Servo CLS5830HV as the OEM. JX Servo has updated to all metal gears on their CLS5830HV-V2.

EcoPower is more or less a rebranded JX Servo. At least the EcoPower WP120T seems to point to a JX Servo CLS5830HV as the OEM. JX Servo has updated to all metal gears on their CLS5830HV-V2.
The only eco power servo I had was their 827 micro servo which I put in my mini b. After the first one it burned up. I also been told that ecopower servos or their micro servos has a plastic gear in the center and all the others are metal.

For a 1/10 2wd, a ProModeler DS270DLHV would suffice at first glance. The ProModeler DS305CLHV would be overkill, but is what I'd use. Why? Because it's the first on the list (price list from low to high) of standard servos that doesn't say "Not for surface use". Why is that? I don't know, but have meant to ask John.

People probably laugh at me 'cause I use some "old school" Associated DS1015 14.5 kg/cm (201.4 oz/in) @ 6V servos in a lot of my RCs including 1/8 scale eBuggies, and 4wd mini truggy. It hasn't been all that long ago, but those ACE/Thunder Tiger/Associated servos used to be a top pick among 1/8 scale buggy drivers, and when they were being discontinued, a person could pick them up cheap.

Quality... that's all I can say.
I wasn't expecting such a fast response to my DS270DLHV servo question, but John Beech ([email protected]) said...
Hi ****,
Maybe I should rephrase that. This servo works great for surface use but if you bust the plastic part of the case, that's not on us, meaning we're not going to warranty it. Had a situation a few years ago where some kid (pretty certain it was a kid) argued and argued and argued how the servo shouldn't have busted. And if he hadn't hit a fence post, or a curb, or tree root, or whatever he nailed it probably wouldn't have busted, but he did and servo case broke in two and he didn't want to accept responsibility, hence the language.
--
John
I definitely will be putting the DS270DLHV servo in my shopping cart when the time comes.

Back