Good, reasonably priced high torque steering servo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK5310

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My cheap ass high torque metal gear steering servo went up in smoke last night (literally, guts of it are fried big time - stay away from PPP servos, cheap is cheap).

I bodged the metal gears from the cheap servo into a 2075 servo with stripped plastic gears, got me going again but it's pretty rough & probably won't last long.

Don't wanna spend $120 on a servo, looking around $60 if possible, I need at least 200oz torque & a good realiable servo - any suggestions?

I didn't feel like waiting for 10 days for a servo from the US, so I went down to the LHS intending to fork out $$ for a Savox or Hitech, but they didn't have squat.
They did have a PowerHD 8312TG tho, I figured it's worth a shot, price was ok for a LHS in australia (ie. farking expensive compared to US prices, but a fair bit cheaper than an equivalent Savox etc).

It's rated at 187.5oz/in at 6V, .10s response, titanium gears, coreless motor & is a digital servo.

Dunno how well it'll last, but if it does last ok then these are a great budget servo - thing is FAST & has more grunt than the ebay special which was *rated* at 240oz/in, centres pretty good & has more throw than a 2075.

Bit of a review on this PowerHD servo - it plain rocks!

Centres well, has plenty of grunt, is wicked fast & has great sensitivity & resolution - pearler budget servo!
It's fast enough to steer out of a tank slapper without backing off the throttle, no more over correcting due to a slow servo & having to back off to get it straight. Accurate enough to hold a 4 wheel drift & correct a slide, the only limitations are due to the operator - a mate had a shot with my car after I whopped his ass something fierce cutting some laps (he has a revo 3.3 with a bunch of mods) & went out & bought one of these servo's the next day, it's probably one of the best mods I've done to the car.

Can't comment on reliability as I've only used it for about 1/2 a gallon, but so far I'm really happy with it - happy enough that I'm gonna grab another lower torque one for throttle/brake.

Last edited:
Back