Good brushless motor that gives more speed than velineon 3500?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The motor you listed is only slightly faster (3500 kV for the Velineon vs. 3800 for the Castle Creations.) The kV rating is how many thousand RPM per volt. The higher the kV rating, the faster the motor can spin. BUT the higher the kV rating the lower the torque and the less voltage it can handle.

1 important thing . the traxxas 3500kv motor is a non sensored motor..and the castle is a sensored motor that will not work with the traxxas esc...as stated already the 3599 gives you some torque with speed and is 3 cell compatible where the castle is not 3 cell able.. you can't really have torque and speed in same motor.a motor has to be geared correctly to kept down internal temps. the size of motor you are looking for is called a 540 size.. or 1/10 scale motor.

If you want to go faster you can go up on the number of teeth on your pinion gear. you will need to put a cooling fan on the motor and keep an eye on temps, if you keep runs short bursts of speed you will get the speed you are looking for. keep in mind that the more amps you draw will make the elects run hot. you can't run a 5 min race but you can drag race just give it a couple min to cool down after a couple runs. get a couple of pinion gears and see what works for you.

one can always go faster but the question is how long?. Not long... 132 feet sure but will it make it back to you?. 600 feet maybe....I have some very specific Dragcars. I like to run I know on 2 of them I need to make the walk to pick them up and carry them back... I do have a sct 4x4 with a 3500kv motor I run on 3 cells just for 2 minutes max just to get the 70mph outa it but then sits with a dual cooling fan I also I have a 1/16 scale with a 9000kv with a airplane esc 75 amps a few 1/10 scales one with a Tops brushed motor way old school. and my pride and Joy my 1/6 scale beasts..4 cell monsters that will do way over 100mph gps and hand held speed gun checked...fastest car is 146 mph not kmh..its all in how much do we want to spend to get that grin for however long it lasts(I always have a perma grim Cuz I enjoy life and the stuff I can do)..even my thunder tech clod is a fast machine with a 5800kv up front and a 3200kv in rear I dont want a wheelie king (lol)

1 important thing . the traxxas 3500kv motor is a non sensored motor..and the castle is a sensored motor that will not work with the traxxas esc...as stated already the 3599 gives you some torque with speed and is 3 cell compatible where the castle is not 3 cell able.. you can't really have torque and speed in same motor.a motor has to be geared correctly to kept down internal temps. the size of motor you are looking for is called a 540 size.. or 1/10 scale motor.
FWIW, the castle sensored 3800kv motor works fine with sensored or non-sensored esc's. It just won't work in sensored mode when driven by a non-sensored esc. Castle even sells packages of the 3800kv sensored motor with both sensored and unsensored esc's.

The 3800kv is a bit smoother on power delivery than the traxxas 3500kv motor and does spin to a higher rpm. It has a bit softer bottom end feel to it. It can also be driven by 3S, but it does run warm. For 3S use, I've found it better to stick with 3100kv or less and for a heavier truck, running a 3665+ sized motor works better as well.

What truck are you working with?

FWIW, the castle sensored 3800kv motor works fine with sensored or non-sensored esc's. It just won't work in sensored mode when driven by a non-sensored esc. Castle even sells packages of the 3800kv sensored motor with both sensored and unsensored esc's.

The 3800kv is a bit smoother on power delivery than the traxxas 3500kv motor and does spin to a higher rpm. It has a bit softer bottom end feel to it. It can also be driven by 3S, but it does run warm. For 3S use, I've found it better to stick with 3100kv or less and for a heavier truck, running a 3665+ sized motor works better as well.

What truck are you working with?
I'm working with a rustler 4x4 vxl.

Looks like a 3670 would fit in that just fine... then you could get more torque and gear it a bit taller, in theory. Not sure the vxl-3s can take that though, but might be worth a try.

I ran a hobbystar 3665 3100kv in my stampede 4x4, but off a HW max10 sct esc.
Thought about going with a 3670: https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-3670-4-pole-brushless-sensorless-motor-waterproof.html

But I ended up extending the chassis with a slash chassis and dropped in a 4074 2200kv and 150A esc on 3S. Now it seems to be more where I want it for speed and decent temps even when pushed hard. Not sure how fast it is though... feels like mid to low 40's.

The motor you listed is only slightly faster (3500 kV for the Velineon vs. 3800 for the Castle Creations.) The kV rating is how many thousand RPM per volt. The higher the kV rating, the faster the motor can spin. BUT the higher the kV rating the lower the torque and the less voltage it can handle.
The Castle 3800kv is a very powerful motor i have it and Can safley day it has more speed and grunt than the VXL but it may not be the best way to go, drop down to 2400KV 3670 motor with a Large pinion gear and run 4s you’ll have tyre ripping torque and a bit more speed , But be warned the slash don’t handle extra speed too well I ran mine on 4s you’ll also need a 5mm Shaft pinion. I think 0.8 pitch . I ran mine on 2x2S with a banggood 3300kv and an Arrma 15t which was under geared in reflection but man was a beast .

I am running a Hobbywing 4000KV on my RWD Rustler Race Car. In an exhibition race last night, it was comparable to my opponent's VXL Rustler. Both cars were almost equally prepared and built by me. An untimely wreck took me out of it. I forgot my tools. To be fair, he wrecked 1st, but I fixed his without tools. At $140 for the HobbyWing for ESC and motor, it is at least a good value

I am running a Hobbywing 4000KV on my RWD Rustler Race Car. In an exhibition race last night, it was comparable to my opponent's VXL Rustler. Both cars were almost equally prepared and built by me. An untimely wreck took me out of it. I forgot my tools. To be fair, he wrecked 1st, but I fixed his without tools. At $140 for the HobbyWing for ESC and motor, it is at least a good value

I have two Hobby wing combos Max8 & Max 10, both I can’t complain at the ESC they better than stock ones I replaced . But I’m each I am disappointed in the performance of the hobbywing motors I too have the 4000kv 3660 h/w and it is Slower and less torque’y than a Budget Surpass Hobby 4200kv which cost me 18:99 from China. And if that isn’t good enough my 2200kv 1/8 scale motor in my kraton has a slower top speed than the Arrma 2050kv it replaced .
I personally do not rate Hobbywing motors as good value . I’m chuffed to bits with £17:00 racestar 3300kv .

I’m chuffed to bits with £17:00 racestar 3300kv .

Does that mean you like it or don't like it? :)

I ran a hobbystar 3665/3100kv in my stampede for a bit on 3S, it did better than the 3660 3200SL that came in the max10 sct combo. I have a hobbystar 3660/3300kv in my eJato at the moment and I'm likely going to replace both the esc/motor with the max10 sct/3665 3100kv combo instead. I have a weird hesitation under hard acceleration I can't figure out. Nothing runs hot, but it hesitates at the most inopportune times, even with a 6200mah 50C pack that works fine in my 6S trucks.

I ran a hobbystar 3665/3100kv in my stampede for a bit on 3S, it did better than the 3660 3200SL that came in the max10 sct combo. I have a hobbystar 3660/3300kv in my eJato at the moment and I'm likely going to replace both the esc/motor with the max10 sct/3665 3100kv combo instead. I have a weird hesitation under hard acceleration I can't figure out. Nothing runs hot, but it hesitates at the most inopportune times, even with a 6200mah 50C pack that works fine in my 6S trucks.

Chuffed = I am As Happy as a Dog with Two CO#K’S . For the Money I am really pleased I’ve tortured it on 4s with a 20t pinion and it’s still running and even if it does blow up at them prices I couldn't give a ?. On a Side note my Arrma Senton BLX motor has Just packed up for the Second time stock 3s Replace bearings once going to have to be doing it again. My Castle 3800kv had fused the rear bearing into the Case, I bought a Hobbywing 4000kv 3660 which is Slower than a Surpass hobby 4200kv , I replaced the kraton 2050kv motor for a Hobbywing 2200kv and it’s slower than the original perhaps a little more grunt but it still gets proper hot .

I’m as Happy as a Dog with Two C#CK’S?,
I have beasted that motor it has a cheap £3.50 cooling fan onit that’s it. Run it on 4s and it loves it. The Standard Arrma BLX Senton motor has just seized on me I only run that on3s ! My Castle 3800kv Fused the Rear bearing as part of the endbell. I had a job getting another endbell out of castle. For the price of it and bearings + post I could buy two banggood Jobbies . I bought a 4000kv Hobbywing 3660 it’s slower than my Surpass hobby 4200kv 3660. I also have a max 8 2200kv combo in my kraton which is ? as well. Slower than the Arrma 2050kv
Would I buy another Hobbywing motor ? NO.

£17:00 ? Not making fun of you, just need to know how unhappy to be with my motor. Someone from here recommended it for circle track racing.

£17:00 ? Not making fun of you, just need to know how unhappy to be with my motor. Someone from here recommended it for circle track racing.

It is entirely upto you, my brother .
I used The Racestar in my Slash with a 15t Arrma pinion 5mm. On 4s and the slash would literally take off on full power. The torque is Tire ripping hilarious.On 4s.

I have now Stuffed the Racestar 3660 3300kv into My Arrma Typhon, which I bought as a Brushed (Mega) I Have converted everything in the drive to the same as my Senton BLX
Different teeth on spur, Diff, inputshafts etc.
I ran it on 3s using the same pinion as my Senton 20t , so it’s all equal, and there really is little or no difference in speed against the Senton BLx ,
Now my plan is to drop a few teeth on the pinion gear to around a 16/17t and run it on 4s in my typhon.

Obviously 3300kv is a little Slower On 3S with Same pinion gear teeth, but run It on 4s with a budget motor fan, 15t Pinion in your slash 4x4 You’ll wet your self laughing or cry when it flips over and breaks the Bodyshell .
If you don’t want to run 4s, I suggest taking a Look at 3660 Surpass hobby 4200kv in a red can,
They do a 5mm & 3.2mm shaft version but run it on 3s
That will Fly ? They a little more expensive At £27. I think.
The Surpass hobby 4200kv in my Losi scbe gps at 52mph on 3s .with 14t pinion . For £27 I’m happy .

Attachments

• E5FDCB7C-37F4-41AE-B05A-7E11BBF027BC.jpeg
    E5FDCB7C-37F4-41AE-B05A-7E11BBF027BC.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 104ECE91-5DFA-4B56-B1FA-CBA835BDD8A7.jpeg
    104ECE91-5DFA-4B56-B1FA-CBA835BDD8A7.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 573
The Surpass hobby 4200kv in my Losi scbe gps at 52mph on 3s .with 14t pinion . For £27 I’m happy .

How does the 4200kv do over time? I get 25+ minutes of run time in my stampede/ejato and that tends to make the stuff run hot. I have to gear pretty conservatively as well as have decent fans for the motor and esc. I ended up putting 1/8th scale stuff in my stampede and now I can run hard for 25 minutes straight without overheating. My esc (vxl-3s) in my eJato was having issues so I just put a 3665/3100kv hobbystar with a max10 sct in it. Will see how it does.

How does the 4200kv do over time? I get 25+ minutes of run time in my stampede/ejato and that tends to make the stuff run hot. I have to gear pretty conservatively as well as have decent fans for the motor and esc. I ended up putting 1/8th scale stuff in my stampede and now I can run hard for 25 minutes straight without overheating. My esc (vxl-3s) in my eJato was having issues so I just put a 3665/3100kv hobbystar with a max10 sct in it. Will see how it does.