Good all around tires for Revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I bought a Revo 3.3 brand new about 12 years ago and recently started to get back into it. I bought some Canyon MT tires for it off Traxxas’s website but for one, I had no idea how soft they were [and large] and I bought a set of pre-glued Duratrax six pack MT tires for it that are much nicer however, I think I mighta screwed up when I bought them as large as they are because on hot days, I think they might be overheating my motor....

Sure, I could probably re-gear my truck but, I think for just the Saturday afternoon bashing I only do to it, I think I’d be better off with some new tires that are closer to the 5.2, 5.3 inch, or whatever they are stock Talons but I don’t want another set of Talons. They were alright I guess but what else is out there that could be better?

The t-maxx 3.3 tires are a decent size/weight.
Traxxas TRA4973, on the far right:
2018-0306-Traxxas-Talon-ProlineTrencher3.8-TraxxasMaxx3.3-TRA4973.jpg

I little larger than the talons (far left), but not a lot.

The t-maxx 3.3 tires are a decent size/weight.
Traxxas TRA4973, on the far right:
2018-0306-Traxxas-Talon-ProlineTrencher3.8-TraxxasMaxx3.3-TRA4973.jpg

I little larger than the talons (far left), but not a lot.
What about these?

https://www.rcplanet.com/tires-whee...l-terrain-tires-mounted-front-rear-pro117811/

They’re a little narrower, 2 and 3/4’s wide as opposed to the stock Talon’s which are 3 and a quarter wide but they’re alot closer to the stock height But with what I think is a lot better tread.

But I guess those Talon T-maxx tires you mentioned are a little better from the Duratrax’s I have since they’re a little shorter and a lot narrower so I dunno, those might work but I’m thinking about hopefully those narrower Badlands for loose terrain, my ultra soft Canyon MT’s for really rocky and bumpy terrain and either another set of the original size Talons or the Chevron “V” tractor tread monster truck tires for running on hard surfaces like asphalt in front of the house.

Those likely have more durable sidewalls than traxxas tires. They just aren't something I would run as I run on rough concrete too much and they would just grind down after a few bash sessions. I have to use tires with large contact area as I spend 50% of my time at skate parks, my local one is very rough concrete in most of it. Can't imagine the damage it does to kids when they fall...

Those likely have more durable sidewalls than traxxas tires. They just aren't something I would run as I run on rough concrete too much and they would just grind down after a few bash sessions. I have to use tires with large contact area as I spend 50% of my time at skate parks, my local one is very rough concrete in most of it. Can't imagine the damage it does to kids when they fall...
Yeah, I’ve heard these are a soft compound rubber so they’d really only be for dirt/sandy-type terrains. That’s why the Canyon MT tires I bought from Traxxas are really only reserved for really rocky and bumpy terrains because they are really a soft compound. Just from the few runs I made in front of the house where it was a mixture of grass and asphalt, they had quite a bit of scuffing on the tread blocks- you know, that pencil eraser-type shavings.
I just wonder how these would do on dirt being that they are a bit narrow.

I ran the ProLine Badlands on both my Revo, and my Pede and absolutely loved them. But I would not buy them if you run on any concrete or paved surfaces.
We’re they the narrow ones like I’m looking at? If so, how did they do traction-wise for a narrower tire?

I honestly don't remember it's been so long ago. Here's a shot of it if that helps. They hooked up like crazy everywhere I tried them. Had I kept the truck, I likely would have installed the center diff to tame the wheelies.

foMnVex.png

I honestly don't remember it's been so long ago. Here's a shot of it if that helps. They hooked up like crazy everywhere I tried them. Had I kept the truck, I likely would have installed the center diff to tame the wheelies.

foMnVex.png
Wow, ok. I figured them being narrower than they’d have a traction issue. I guess not. They look good on there, anyways.

I guess for now I’m just gonna stick with the Talons, I spose. I can’t find anything else that keeps the size down, even enough to justify sticking with the new 17mm hub hexes I upgraded to.

Just when ya thought ya did enough research, this is another one of those times where I fell short. The only thing I could find that was close to my stock size was those Proline Badlands and Trenchers but the techie I talked to at Proline said I’d be better off with the Badlands MX because they’re more for an every terrain use but the only problem is, they’re just as wide, tall and heavy as my large oversize Duratrax six pack tires. Puts me in the same boat as them. Lol. Almost identical to them, mostly in tread pattern.

I could go with those Badlands AT’s like @HPIguy uses but since those are a really soft tire thats not really made for hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete, I just can’t justify getting them because in order to use them, I’d have to be constantly taking off my larger hubs just to run my smaller 14mm hex hubs for everywhere else that I couldn’t run the Badlands tires.

Maybe someday when I wear all these tires out, or if I get a new truck or whatever I can venture out to those.

Thanks to all those that helped.

At least I still have options, tho. I’ll have my Talons for dirt/sand, my oversized soft Canyon MT’s for rock-hopping over really rough terrain and I ordered a set of the “V” Chevron traditional monster truck tires for everywhere else. They’re all 14mm hubs do tire changes will be a breeze.

But I’m thinking.... I recently watched a YouTube video that talked about taping the tires where you run a strip of duct tape on the inside of the tire that supposedly cuts down on the “ballooning” effect during high-speed runs; would this be a good idea on my Talons and on my Chevrons?

They don't balloon that bad under 40mph really. It's when you get up to 50+ with electric that things turn into pizza cutters at high speeds. They will still balloon quite a bit if you have the left or right tires off/on the ground and your two wheeling.

I have the 3.8 chevrons on my BB revo. They don't got much traction which helps the drivetrain not die a quick death as I'm still runnign plastic sliders in the center and outer 4 axles, so I like the low bite tires for it.

2017-1001-BBRevo01.jpg

How are they compared to the original talons? I just figured these would be a good all around tire for asphalt, grass, whatever.

Last edited:
They grip a bit better in loamy dirt/woodchips than talons, but not much. The rubber compound is a bit stiffer. The thicker beams of tread help protect the sidewalls some when landing as traxxas wheels tend to cut up sidewalls in a hurry, especially if you run on hard pack or concrete a lot.

So far I kinda like the Chevrons but I think I found out why my truck has been running rather like crap here lately... I found a bad clutch on the motor output shaft. I'm sure this is probably why my engine tuning attempts have been futile now that I've actually started to figure out how to do it.

Back