good Air Compressor to buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldude

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys i need advice on whats a good air compressor to get..

I'm looking for some thing that cost under 150$ and reliable because its going to be mostly doing light duty work like blowing of dust/dirt on my rc and home...also that comes with a good little accessories and nice decent air hose length..and not too loud when the motor pumps up..small size like 2/3 gallons

My neighbor has a little 1 gallon blue compressor that can be had at WalMart for like 50 bucks. It's really quiet. I don't know the length of the hose but you could always just get an extension.

I got a 'pancake' compressor from Home Depot (Porter Cable). It came as a set with a Finish nailer, stapler and braid nailer for $300. I think you can get just the compressor for around $100. It is pretty average in noise (IMO) to other compressors I've heard. I like it because it's light-weight and I can move it easily. I think it has a 25' air hose.

WALMART!! its a 1 gallon i got it for 60 here in canada but i had to buy a air gun for 5bucks

whatever compressor you get, you could always add an external tank to hold extra air untill you need it, say.........late at night when u dont want to flip the switch.

thanks for the tips/advices.. Now can I use air compressor for air brush paint gun to paint my rc bodies or I have to buy a pump for the air brush ? Just wondering maybe I'll give air brush a try on my rc bodies...

Thanks

No matter what you get, you'll need a tank. If you power an airbrush straight from a compressor, you'll get your paint in puffs instead of a consistent, smooth flow.

you will need a regulator and a water trap to use the compressor to airbrush with

i have a nice portable husky one that i keep in my basment under my workbench and it dose the job it was like 100 bucks it was deff worth it

Can I possibly have some links to some of the cheaper ones everyone is mentioning? I only need one to blow off my truck and the cheaper the better. Recovery time is a priority. Cupooterluvr's and Mido's in particular are the ones I'm interested in.

no oil-less

i have a really big red craftsman oil-less compressor, its nice and has good cfm, but its really loud! its nice to not have to oil it all the time, BUT ITS WAY TO LOUD, it will blow your ears apart! i always use those noise deadening head phones when i use it. the point is, DO NOT GET A OIL-LESS!

I know you get what you pay for but, Auto Zone was selling a no name 19 gal compressor for $120.

I bought the $60 at Walmart and would'nt suggest it for anything. It takes to long to build air and you can only blow off maybe one wheel at a time.JMO

I would really recommend this from home depot: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber&showreviews=true
It is a bit above you price range but has been a really good compressor for me. I've layed about 2000' of hardwood floor, re-shingled a roof, built some small furniture pieces and done quite a bit of trim work with it. It comes with a bunch of tools which is really nice, and the larger tank allows it to fill once and then stay shut off for a longer period of time. Recently got to test out the impact driver it came with when I changed the struts on a friends car with him, it's quite an impressive little machine. Found it on sale at home depot for $200 (Canadian), and with signing up for a home depot card you can save like another 10% or 15% off of that. Only thing to watch is that it is not oil-less and you will have to change the oil every 40 hours of runtime I believe. Not a big job at all, 10 minutes and you're back at it and that has been once in 2 years with all the work I've done. Also, if you run it off a long extension cord the voltage drop can hold back the motor before it fires up, but rarely happens and all you need to do is drain the tank quick and it comes back on. This tool has definitely has been an investment for me, I'm glad I bought something that can tackle bigger projects down the road.

iam in the middle of riging up a 12 volt compreser, got the compresser from harbor fright. i got a 5 gal tank from sears. like i said iam still in the middle of riging it up. darn thing pull 35 amps at 12v. have a lot details to work out