good 3D helicopter to buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldude

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi I'm looking to get to 3D helis..
whats a good one to buy with lots of parts that pretty much most hobby shops carries ?

is blade 400 a good way to start?

great..also that i notice that not much hop-up parts are not avilable for it yet..when will they start to make carbon fiber frames and other aluminum parts ect..? how long do it take when a new product to have hop-up parts?

Available hop ups are usually dependent on the popularity of the model.
I'm leaving for HobbyTown shortly, and I'm pretty sure I saw one there with a CF frame factory stock. I'll check, and post back later.

thanks ..let me know:bow:

Just got back, and checked things out for you. The heli with the aluminum frame is just that...you need to build on it. There's no body, motor, servos, electronics or batts and it's $199. I saw the main rotor gear in it, but I don't even know if the rotor and blades come with it. You'll probably break a grand before it flies.

The 400 will perform in 3D as long as it's not the slamming kind that the nitro CF helis do. It also comes with an excellent 2.4 Ghz computer radio that's fully programmable.

According to my "fly guy" at the store, make SURE you read the entire manual before you take off.
If you plan to make any changes in its' behavior, and you probably will, do NOT make them in the original factory heli file, but instead, create another model, copy the original file, and change them there. That way you will ALWAYS have the original factory settings. Radio also has a 10 model memory. Keep the wooden rotor blades till you get used to the heli. I'm pretty sure I've seen CF blades for that model somewhere on the internet.

thanks for that info.:bow:

so whats better a kit or a RTF?

I'm leaning more to the blade 400 sence it has a good radio aswell and will have hop-ups soon..and ill just build on it add upgrade parts little by little till i get more advance..

by the way can i use that radio that comes with the blade 400 and use it as a flight sim control i think i heard or saw a radio that can be used as a simulator/radio control..but for got what it was..so is buying a simulator will help alot? i need one for my macbook if they have one that works for mac..i dont have windows..

A simulator will save you a lot of worry and money since all you have to do is hit the reset button. Helis are tricky to learn, so the sim is definitely the way to go.
I would strongly advise you to spend the money on the sim first. If you get frustrated after your first 100 wrecks, it hasn't cost you a thing. If you bang up your new heli, it's a lot of down time and more money.

whats a good one to buy that will work on a macbook?
i look up so many but not sure if it compatible with my laptop macbook..

well If you find a good one that is windows compatible, you oculd just run a windows emulator.

There may be better ones that people more familiar to flying know about, but I really like the G4, and will soon purchase the setup to get my bearings with aircraft.

You may want to re-think the emulator. I just finished some research on flight sims, the G4 doesn't do emulators, neither does FS One.

I would suggest the T-rex 450 SE V2 version manufactured by Align.... There are very good and very stable

As far as the heli itself, I would highly recommend the kit. There's a LOT going on in a heli, and building it allows you to fully understand what goes on to actually make these thing fly while you assemble and adjust each part. Having that kind of understanding of its' mechanicals will also help you to tweak it and adjust it at the field without wondering what you need to do.

i use a t-rex 500 and thats great for 3d.
the blade 400 is the only one i know that is truly rtf out of the box.
great radio with it as well!
but your going to want to upgrade the head and tail to alloy .

if your looking for a begginers 3d heli the trex 453 se v2 is the best way forward i own one myself I'm 15 and can fly it like a dream their not cheap but they are the best I've flow yet. But if you looking for a more experianced fly try the trex 600 they are amazing to fly but even more expensive. Also if you want the trex 600 try it with nitro it is very stable and its 3d ability is the best.

Reommend

Hi m8 best one out there at moment is align 500 loads of upgrades and spares easy to get hold off

i use a t-rex 500 and thats great for 3d.
the blade 400 is the only one i know that is truly rtf out of the box.
great radio with it as well!
but your going to want to upgrade the head and tail to alloy .

Hope you know how to fly the basic helicopter...

The Blade 400 is a Belt driven.... No need for Two motor on the Helicopter...

Much easier to fly with the Belt driven ones....

I am new to the Helicopter thing.. But I have Flown the Blade 400.... It was not really that hard to fly.. But I have taken my time and bought the MCX and the CX2 first.........

I am picking up the Blade 400 and the Axe 3d Helicopter next week..

Good luck on the New toy........
Just take your time and read about RC Helicopter........:third_place:

Hope you know how to fly the basic helicopter...

The Blade 400 is a Belt driven.... No need for Two motor on the Helicopter...

Much easier to fly with the Belt driven ones....

I am new to the Helicopter thing.. But I have Flown the Blade 400.... It was not really that hard to fly.. But I have taken my time and bought the MCX and the CX2 first.........

I am picking up the Blade 400 and the Axe 3d Helicopter next week..

Good luck on the New toy........
Just take your time and read about RC Helicopter........:third_place:

I have the MCX CX2 CX3 and a sim....