Going to try out flying

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My friend has been trying to get me to try out flying, since he and his dad have been flying for 20+ years. They fly a wide variety of planes, from quarter scales to pylon racers. I've been very fascinated with planes but never took a serious interest since cars take up enough of my time. Well my daughter had a birthday party this past weekend and along with a birthday gift for her, my friend decided to give me one of his trainers.

228127952-M.jpg

My jaw literally dropped when he gave it to me, it was not only an incredibly nice gesture of friendship, but I was also very excited to be given the opportunity to try flying. He couldn't stay long enough to give me all the details about the plane but told me that the next time he goes out he'll hook me up to a buddy box and show me the ropes. I probably won't get a chance to fly for at least another month, but in the meantime I'd like some pointers so I can get myself mentally prepared. I think I'll also need some supporting equipment.

I know there are many flying experts here so I'm asking for some assistance. The plane came with a 6 channel Futaba TX and servos, but that is pretty much it. The side of the plane and top of the wing say "alpha". I'll need some suggestions on what else I need to get this bird up in the air and flying.

Well, I don't have much experience in the way of flying a nitro-powered plane, but I do know what you'll need to get 'er airborne (I've sold a few trainers when I worked at a LHS).

- 12V hand-held Starter motor (Sullivan makes a decent one), or you can get a chicken-stick.
- Glow starter
- fuel (ask friend what he ran in it, and stick with it)
- fuel pump (hand crank is sufficient, altho you can get an electric push-button one)

You may also want to invest in a flight box; Hobbico makes several good ones, both in kit and in pre-made flavors. They range in prices, and in features. There are simple shoe-box looking models, and then there are models that have tons of drawers and a cradle for the plane. You can also custom make one, if you like. Just use some thin plywood, like 1/4".

You may need some other basic supplies, as well, but these should cover the majority of it.

To start the engine, make 100% SURE that the engine is at idle!!!!! I've seen more than a few wild-hair take-offs as a result of a radio being off. These wild self-flights always end up in a pile of kindling.

Also, make sure the throttle stick is down, etc. Have your friend teach you the proper startup positions on the radio, and practice them. Burn them into instinct before you even think about taking the bird up solo. Remember, the throttle stick is NOT spring loaded, so it will not pull itself to neutral.

Once you get the radio sorted, starting it up is easy. Simply make sure there is fuel in the tank, attach glow clip, and pop the engine over (just like a car). The only difference is, the starter will fit onto the silver spinner (nose cone). When you see it, it'll make total sense, trust me.

Make sure you have a firm grip on the starter, and that the plane is restrained. Also, keep clear of the prop. I've gotten popped in the arm by a prop; it ain't pleasant at all.

That aside, flying the plane is not hard at all. It's just easy, calm movements on the sticks. Takeoff is easy; just throttle up and pull back gently on the right stick once the plane starts to get light. Landing is just as easy; get about 20 feet or so off the ground, level out, and throttle back slowly. The plane will descend. Right before touchdown, gently pull back on the right stick to lift the nose slightly, and let it come down the rest of the way.

You will find it to be a very relaxing hobby.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the assist HB.

As I was looking at the plane last night, I noticed the nose cone points slightly toward the ground. Is this normal?

HeartBreak pretty much nailed it all.
The firewall on most planes is at a 3% offset, down and right to compensate for torque from the prop. That allows it to track straight.
As long as your buddy can hook you up with the buddy box, you'll be fine. He can take control whenever you need help. Getting it off the ground and bumping into clouds is the easy part. It's getting it back that requires some thought.
You'll also need a bottle of simple green or Windex for cleaning the oil off after flying. Compared to our nitro cars and trucks, planes are almost maintenance free.

Remember, take offs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Thank you Rolex. The plane has ailerons and after some reading on Tower it states that the ailerons are used for turning or rolls. How does the plane turn by using a control surface that moves up and down?

If there is noob guide for how a plane flies/turns/maneuvers please post. I'd love to do some more reading. The TX looks complicated, there are many switches/knobs on the top and I don't have a clue as to what they do.

Also, just curious, do brushless conversions exist for these? I see there are brushless powered planes but are there retro-fit kits?

Last edited:
No doubt it will take some getting used to. There are a ton of concepts that you have to ingrain to make appropriate decisions when flying.
Found this simple page. Should fill you in on some info.
http://library.thinkquest.org/2819/work.htm

To start the ball rolling, let's go basic. There are 3 axes with the plane. There's the longitudinal, which is the long axis that runs from the nose to the tail. There's the lateral which runs from wingtip to wingtip and the vertical which essentially runs straight down through the plane. The control surfaces basically cause changes in the orientation of these axes which change the direction of the plane.
The elevator rotates the plane along the lateral axis. When the elevator goes up, it causes the tail of the plane to go down, which in turn causes rotation on the lateral axis, forcing the nose of the up, thus causing the plane to rise.
When the rudder goes left, it forces the tail to the right, and the nose to the left, which will cause the plane to turn left.
The ailerons actually oppose one another. When the right aileron goes up, the left goes down. This causes the plane to roll to the right along the longitudinal axis. Because the rest of the wing is still generating equal lift, the it will cause the plane to lift perpendicular to the long axis which in essence causes the plane to turn.

Now that you're thoroughly confused, it will make tons of sense once you actually get to tinker with the plane. There's a lot more to it than above, but that's a real basic idea of the physics of it.

There are lots of brushless conversions available now. Even for the really big planes.
You have a 6 channel radio, but all that plane is using is 4. Ailerons, left/right on right stick...rudder, left/right on left stick, elevator, up/down on right stick, and throttle, up/down on left stick.
The other channels can be used for retractable landing gear or flap functions if it's a computer radio that allows mixing.
The ailerons are used to steer since they work opposite of each other. When one goes up, the other goes down. That causes the plane to tilt and turn.
The rudder is used a lot on real planes to compensate for crosswind flying, but only used on R/Cs for stunts.
For parts and info, try Great Planes and Hangar 9.

I'm relieved to hear that I don't need to figure out more than 4 channels.

Thank you very much guys and especially for the link Candyman. :cheers:

Oh, one thing that hasn't been touched on here, and is probably about the single most important thing you can do, is AMA insurance. Most fields will not let you even take the plane out of your car without it.

Good point, HeartBreak.
When you're at the local field, as long as you have your AMA membership card, they will allow you to fly as a guest, especially when you're there with another club member. If you stay, you will also need to join the local club.
Bring good sunglasses.
You also need to change your attitude from track to field. You CAN'T go smacking into other planes on the runway in hopes of flipping them on their lids as you go by.

If you can even get a half hour to an hour of simulator from your friend, then do it. It'll help you learn the controls A LOT faster. Preferably fly it on the same day before you go down to the field. Oh, and buy a BUNCH of rubber bands hehe

Also, if you like flying, join the local club, they should have instructors so you're not just limited to flying going down with your friend. I know when I started out, I buddy corded with at least four different people before I soloed.

But yeah, looks like a similar deal to what my dad's gonna do with his brother. If we ever get him hooked, we're gonna give him our trainer and my older Futaba 8 channel computer radio.

While its a pretty old book (I believe first published in the early 60's) Stick and rudder is still required reading when you start training for 1:1 flying. Its a worthwhile read.

And of course, GOOD LUCK

Damn!

Happy Birthday Bro!

That is sweet. I'm guessing this is what you have? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN2475 Should be a nice flier.
Not much I can say that the rest of the guys haven't covered.
The aircraft engines are a lot easier to tune. You won't work on an aircraft as much as you have been working on your cars. At least the upkeep part of the hobby. Most of the time a good cleaning before ya put it in the car.
AMA is $48? Ya got a lot of the support equipment.

Good luck with it.

That is sweet. I'm guessing this is what you have? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN2475 Should be a nice flier.

Yup that is the one. Looks like a different radio and servos were installed in mine, and a different propeller too. What is the difference between the 2 bladed one that is one there now, and the three bladed one that it should have come with?

I'm am soo excited to get this bird up in the air. Thanks again for the advices guys.

Not really any difference between the two props other than that the 3 blade looks cooler when it's not running. It can also be a little smaller. You'll always find the 2 blade prop any time you need it. The 3 and 4 blades are not always in stock in the size you need.

Back