Going Insane With Steering Servo Saver

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter Is Da Man

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok Guyz, I'm in dire need of some help. Traded my T-Maxx for this Savage that Jamed Up raced at our local track. It was in good shape, engine had great compression, everything still intact very nicely. A few problems, but nothing a few dollars couldn't fix good as new. Anyway, I run the truck with a standard servo (Futaba S3004) at first, figuring it could just get it started. Well didn't turn worth a "poo" but hey it worked, nothing I couldn't handle. Well the teeth inside that servo stripped. No biggy, it was a older servo, seen alot of action. So I figure, good time to go over the entire truck, clean it up really nice, and all that good stuff. Well, I go over the throttle components and discover that the throttle servo it came with was a Associated 2006 Hi-Torque servo that comes with the MGT as steering. Now light goes off in my head saying, get a standard servo for throttle, which is all I ever run, and throw the throttle servo in steering, and should be alot better off than before. Well didn't bother to clean it, all I did was swap servos, and got a standard (Futaba FS-148 Presision) off my friend for nothing. So seems great, like a good move. Now I face a huge problem. I put that servo in steering and all it does is eat the teeth off the part of the saver that goes directly on the servo. So I replaced it once, and I think in 4 minutes of running it does it again. Ok, I'm not spending another $10 to buy a bag full of crap that I need a whole one tiny piece out of. So I saw this setup on E-Bay that a person was selling. So I get intrigued to try the same setup. Well seems to work well. No problems, and not eating the teeth in it up. Well snapped the first servo horn I put on. They normally come with all Futaba servos. It was understandable because it wasn't too strong to begin with. Then my dad drills a hole out in one of those airplane rutter control pieces that goes on the servo, and it knocks all the teeth out of that, so it just slipps on top on the servo, so I finally just about an hour ago went and put a T4 steering arm on it, and worked perfect for almost one tank of gas, until it landed a little to one side, and snapped that too. Now I got Monster Truck shows in Philidelphia Spectrum, and Baltimore Arena, and this truck needs to be solid, and the way it can't even handle my back yard track, is very alarming. The rest of the truck is very durable, not worried about anything except this servo saver. A truck isn't too good if it doesn't steer correctly. I'm out of ideas. Anyone had a similar problem, or no what I could do, please help. I don't normally ask for help, but I really need it. Thanx.

Do you have the stock saver?? If you do I suggest you get the new HPI Cam-Type Servo saver. It great improves the steering respose and the turning radius of the truck. It comes with some pretty beefy servo horns too. I am running a servo with 175 oz./in. of torque and have never stipped one out. YOu can find the servo saver on http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm

It sounds like your servo horns aren't meshing right on the teeth of the servo. Don't know if your aware or not, but all servo horns aren't the same by mfr. Futaba, airtronics, jr are all different from one another. Or, you don't have an appropriate steering servo saver in place.

It looks like the MGT stock saver is for a futaba servo: MGT Stock Saver I use a futaba s3305 for steering on my savage with the Monster Pirate servo saver upgrade. I use these horns on my servo Dubro HD Arms

Do you have a saver in place of th stock bell cranks or are you depending on the servo to take the brunt of the impacts? If you don't have an aftermarket bellcrank/servo saver combo, you must run a spring type saver like the MGT does. If you don't, you will be having the kinds of problems your currently having. Monster trucks definatly require you to have some sort of servo saver.

Or, if you want the best setup, you can either go with GH Savage Saver or the new HPI Steering Upgrade (www.hpiracing.com part number: 87197) or, you can go the route many of us did prior to these two things coming out with the Monster Pirate steering mod. You can find info for that in the savage sticky.

Here's a pic of the HPI Steering Upgrade, since thier stupid site won't let me do a direct link to the product page, you have to search it up.
2005-0103-HPISavageSteeringUpgrade.jpg

Last edited:
I use the MP servosaver with a OFNA servo arm and a Hitec HS5645 Servo and have not had one problem with it.

I too use the MP and have had no problems what so ever.. The spring has lost some and I do need a new one.. I really like that HPI one.. Thats what I am looking for.

The HPI one is great, but just so you know, right now you can only buy them on HPI's web site. They are 18$, but you need to buy something else cause you have to spend at least 20$ to complete an order.

Hi everybody, been reading for a while first time posting. The HPI servo saver is now available from Tower Hobbies here is the linkHPI servo saver

You guyz that did the Monster Pirate upgrade, did you guys just have to buy the Servo Saver Set (part #OFN18034), or were there other things that had to be bought in order to use, bacause the discription in the write up on the Servo Saver Set says direct fit to Savage, and yet another guy on E-Bay says you need other items in order for it to work. So anyone let me know before I buy it?

I want to say I used some shims to get the spacing right, but other than that and a new servo horn instead of the spring servo saver on the servo and a few bolts to hook things up, I didn't need anything.

Ok, so shim it up, and bolts and its good to go? Sounds like a plan, thanx.

Its up to you but why not just get the HPI Servo saver? It is a direct fit in, no shimming needed, and it is adjustable.

Didn't really think of it, but yeah, go with the hpi one that's made for the savage instead. It's cheaper than the MP upgrade and less fuss.

Back