Glue on tire question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou0069

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi so I orderd these aluminum rims and I was woundering if I glue the tire properly n use acetone to remove them once the tires no more good will it damage the rim or paint on the rim ? I'm asking this cuz I left a plastic rim in 1/4 inch acetone over night n the plastic rim litterly was melted nothing left hard ..
If it would damage is there another kind of glue I can use this easier to remove ??
Thanks

Attachments

• 20191011_231215.jpg
    20191011_231215.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 80
  • 20191011_231220.jpg
    20191011_231220.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 64
On an aluminum rim ,you really don't need acetone ,I usually just use a razor blade an try to scrape most of the
tire off after boiling in water ,after that ,scuff up the inside bead of rim with emery cloth or sand paper then glue!

I had used a weather stripping glue ,or use the rubber contact cement may work ,but they may sell tire glue for
the aluminum as it is hard to get a glue to stick to it ,that is why I used weather strip glue!...:cool:

On an aluminum rim ,you really don't need acetone ,I usually just use a razor blade an try to scrape most of the
tire off after boiling in water ,after that ,scuff up the inside bead of rim with emery cloth or sand paper then glue!

I had used a weather stripping glue ,or use the rubber contact cement may work ,but they may sell tire glue for
the aluminum as it is hard to get a glue to stick to it ,that is why I used weather strip glue!...:cool:
Thanks I'll do it like you when the time come or at least I'll try lol

Someone posted in another forum..."Pure acetone cannot corrode aluminum or other metals. However, technical grades of acetone could possibly have acidic, or basic impurities impurities that might attack aluminum Al is attacked for instance by HCl to form AlCl3, but NaOH also attacks it to form NaAlO2. Both reactions produce hydorgen".

I would not attempt subjecting painted aluminum rims to an acetone bath/fumes.

As for plastic rims melting in acetone...must not have been nylon based plastic wheels. I've soaked many Associated, Pro-Line, JConcepts, and Losi wheels in acetone bath/fumes for days...no ill effects that I could see.

Someone posted in another forum..."Pure acetone cannot corrode aluminum or other metals. However, technical grades of acetone could possibly have acidic, or basic impurities impurities that might attack aluminum Al is attacked for instance by HCl to form AlCl3, but NaOH also attacks it to form NaAlO2. Both reactions produce hydorgen".

I would not attempt subjecting painted aluminum rims to an acetone bath/fumes.

As for plastic rims melting in acetone...must not have been nylon based plastic wheels. I've soaked many Associated, Pro-Line, JConcepts, and Losi wheels in acetone bath/fumes for days...no ill effects that I could see.
I dont think theres acid in the acetone I use ... I use nail remover pure 100% aceton

Back