Glow plug for Revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdude

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Is there a certain glow plug that the TRX 3.3 engines require? I buy the ones the hobby shop sells me, they seem to not last long at all, which I know glow plugs don’t last a long time anyway.

Whats up bud yes they do. They use a medium plug. Also depend on fuel and temperature and location.

Whats up bud yes they do. They use a medium plug. Also depend on fuel and temperature and location.
I use 20% and live in Memphis, so it’s pretty warm here, is that a standard plug for most engines?
I use 20% and live in Memphis, so it’s pretty warm here, is that a standard plug for most engines?

Yeah especially the TRX nitros.. and the 20% is perfect for those engines.. what fuel? Sorry should have asked. If running the traxxas top fuel. That might be a reason why they keep failing. Traxxas has a high oil content. The oil content should be around 9-10% oil. The rest methane

Yeah especially the TRX nitros.. and the 20% is perfect for those engines.. what fuel? Sorry should have asked. If running the traxxas top fuel. That might be a reason why they keep failing. Traxxas has a high oil content. The oil content should be around 9-10% oil. The rest methane
Well what fuel do you recommend? I’m using Traxxas fuel.

Well what fuel do you recommend? I’m using Traxxas fuel.
Wolf said it anything with 9-12% oil content. I personally try to stay around 10% oil or lubrication.. I run the O'Donnell 20% racing fuel. Which has a 8% lubrication. And the 33% fuel which has 10% lubrication and is a T blend made for RTR monster trucks. And they just came out with a new blend the "speed blend" 20% threw 30% nitro.if you zoom in on labels you will see the %of lubrication in the fuel. The traxxas top fuel. Is a good break in fuel. Since it has a higher oil content. But after break in period. It will be a bit harder to tune for high performance with the higher oil%. But any fuel the Wolf mentioned is a good brand as well
16321910775421878795431462710267.jpg

I havent run any of my nitros in 3 or 4 years but All I've used for the last decade is Odonnell's. Love that stuff.

havent tried the newer speed blend.

I havent run any of my nitros in 3 or 4 years but All I've used for the last decade is Odonnell's. Love that stuff.

havent tried the newer speed blend.
So do I I started running odonnnells fuel about the last 10 15 yrs. I like because it doesn't leave a mess after you get a good tune on engine. The 20% racing has only 8% Lub. The Tblend has a 10% Lub. But it's made so that it acts as a 18% good for break in. Or just after. Then usually go to 30% racing. But they now have a speed blend I want to try. Witch I might get to fire up the Duratrax. When it's ready....

So do I I started running odonnnells fuel about the last 10 15 yrs. I like because it doesn't leave a mess after you get a good tune on engine. The 20% racing has only 8% Lub. The Tblend has a 10% Lub. But it's made so that it acts as a 18% good for break in. Or just after. Then usually go to 30% racing. But they now have a speed blend I want to try. Witch I might get to fire up the Duratrax. When it's ready....
So it’s better to have a little bit lower oil %?

You want some oil obviously but to much oil and the engine has to work harder to expel the excess oil which makes the engine run hotter. 9-12% is generally accepted as a good range for oil content. Unless your breaking in the engine and then the extra oil isnt so bad.

You want some oil obviously but to much oil and the engine has to work harder to expel the excess oil which makes the engine run hotter. 9-12% is generally accepted as a good range for oil content. Unless your breaking in the engine and then the extra oil isnt so bad.
Do you have a preference on better glow plugs than traxxas?

The O.S line of plugs is what I use as well. Here is a little read for you about types of glow plugs and when and what type or kind to use. Because there is alot of different plugs...

https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs

So it’s better to have a little bit lower oil %?
Yes sir lower oil will let you get a better tune. The high oil % won't give a good combustion and not allow the fuel to burn off properly.. so rule of thumb is fuel between 9%and 12% but I try to stay 8-10. If I can. Plugs I run. O.S LC3 plugs here's the OS plug chart.. so you have one bud
Screenshot_20210921-220444_Chrome.jpg

Here is a read about nitro fuel for you. So you can get a better understanding about what we are saying man...

https://www.rccaraction.com/fast-facts-nitro-fuel/

Last edited:
The O.S line of plugs is what I use as well. Here is a little read for you about types of glow plugs and when and what type or kind to use. Because there is alot of different plugs...

https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs

Yes sir lower oil will let you get a better tune. The high oil % won't give a good combustion and not allow the fuel to burn off properly.. so rule of thumb is fuel between 9%and 12% but I try to stay 8-10. If I can. Plugs I run. O.S LC3 plugs here's the OS plug chart.. so you have one bud View attachment 133383
Here is a read about nitro fuel for you. So you can get a better understanding about what we are saying man...

https://www.rccaraction.com/fast-facts-nitro-fuel/
Thanks man, y’all are so much more help and knowledgeable than the guys at Traxxas!

Thanks man, y’all are so much more help and knowledgeable than the guys at Traxxas!
Thats because we Care and want you to have has much fun as we do with your Revo....its just a job to them its are passion and what we love to do.... 👍👍👍

Thats because we Care and want you to have has much fun as we do with your Revo....its just a job to them its are passion and what we love to do.... 👍👍👍
Think I’ll try to get my Revo going about 4:20 tomorrow..

Traxxas uses a longer than normal plug in the 2.5/2.5R/3.3 engine. It will work with "standard" length plugs, but the ones it uses are about a thread longer.

The OS LC4 will be closer to the right temp, it's the medium temp plug. Should be good for 20-25% nitro. If you were running <20% nitro, then maybe run the LC3, it's a hot plug.

I don't run nitro much anymore, but when I did, glow plugs would usually last me more than a gallon.

Back