Getting Started with an Associated RC8

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtm0508

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently bought a Team Associated RC8 buggy (still waiting on its arrival). I use to do a little local racing 20 years ago and I'd like to get going again. If there's anyone out there that would be willing to recommend must needed supplies (batteries, radios, spare parts, etc) I'd greatly appreciate. I'm looking to mainly practice and do a small amount of local racing. PLEASE HELP! THANKS
JOHN

Electric or nitro? Not sure if the RC8 comes in both...

Futaba makes some nice radios, cheap and simple to expensive and marginally complicated.

SMC makes good lipos: https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=67
I use hobbystars: https://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batteries.html
And HRB lipos: https://www.amazon.com/HRB-5000mAh-T-REX550-Multirotors-Helicopters/dp/B07DJ2HKCZ?th=1

I've been using HRB, Hobbystar and SMC lipo's for my trucks for the past 3 years I've been in electric.

I run a spektrum radio, but if I was to start over, I'd get a futaba. Better range and less glitchy typically.

The 3PV would be a decent starter radio:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/futaba...dio-system-w-r203gf-receiver-futk3201/p506146

@Jtm0508 welcome to RCTalk and into the RC hobby!

As for your Associated RC8. What gear came with the Associated RC8 when you bought it?

For radio gear I would also suggest Futaba. I run the Futaba 4PL and am in love with it. Best radio I've ever owned. It's current model is now the Futaba 4PV - though you would likely be just fine with the Futaba 3PV as @olds97_lss suggested above.

For the receiver battery in your RC8 you just need a small hump pack which doesn't cost much.

Parts, I wouldn't worry much about at the moment until you break something. Then look for possible upgrades. I would suggest getting a good ball bearing set, I also prefer Team Fast Eddy bearings.

The RC8 lineup are 'tanks'. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but parts support is going away in a relatively fast manner. I would still have my RC8.2e FT buggy, but one part (#89114 Diff pinion gear) that can't be found anywhere caused me to sell it back in August.

I have not stripped any diff gears during the three years of of running the buggy. I came close to it when a bearing on the diff pinion blew. The heat that built up from the blown bearing started to melt the gearbox. With that being said, I got a good hunch on substitute diff ring/pinion gears if that becomes an issue.

Hi all,

I just recently bought a Team Associated RC8 buggy (still waiting on its arrival). I use to do a little local racing 20 years ago and I'd like to get going again. If there's anyone out there that would be willing to recommend must needed supplies (batteries, radios, spare parts, etc) I'd greatly appreciate. I'm looking to mainly practice and do a small amount of local racing. PLEASE HELP! THANKS
JOHN
Just to be clear...you bought an original RC8 buggy and not the latest RC8B3.1 buggy that is out there. Correct?

I was so close to ordering some complete B3e's diff sets, universals, and diff pinions from AE. I was going to take the plunge. Further investigation shows me the B3e's diff ring gears being 44T, and the 8.2e's diff ring gears are 43T. Also, the B3e's diff pinion gear is 13T, and the 8.2e's diff pinion gear is 10T.

With the Team Associated DB8 Nomad still being sold; sharing many, many RC8 parts, I thought for sure parts support for it (and my RC8.2e) would be good to go. At least a couple years I thought. The one main reason I buy Associated RCs is because of their reputation in parts support. Sure, the RC8/RC8.2 has been around for a while now, but there are (I'm sure of it) many Nomad users out there that are counting on Associated for parts.

I even got a reply back from Don @ AE..."No sorry the parts from the new kits will not work on the DB8/RC8.2 and at this time there are not replacements available, it is something out engineers are looking into."

I've done a lot of diggin' in manuals before selling my buggy. I don't know why I didn't think of it the first day that I started my search...Thunder Tiger (Thunder Tiger owns Team Associated). Duh.?? I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but possibly the Bushmaster's diff ring/pinion gears would be usable. They are 43T & 10T, just lke the RC8, but the diff pinion gear would need a 5x16mm bearing to fit into the RC8.2e gearbox. Heck, I'd bet the Bushmaster's diff housing is the same as used in the RC8.2e, just a different part number.

69256086_132967051292847_747474255402237952_n.jpg

69497167_132966931292859_6452371944791605248_n.jpg

The above info is just a thought of a possible substitute.

That's a really good hunch! It makes sense, because I have an RC8.2e and a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 and they use the EXACT same differentials and internals. Drop in fit. It makes sense that the ring and pinion gears would also be the same!

After some very careful research and verification with my own rigs, the Bushmaster differential parts are NOT similar to the RC8.2e. However, there is some good news: the K-Rock, ST-1, ST-4 and MT4-G3 all use identical differential parts which are identical to the RC8.2e (RC8, RC8T and SC8) differential parts. NONE of the other Thunder Tiger vehicles are compatible.

The Thunder Tiger part number for just the ring and pinion gear set is PD2342. It is getting difficult to find, too, but not as bad as the Associated ASC89114 part. Dollar Hobbyz had complete differential housings (including PD2342) for $29 each, but I bought their last two. GPM still makes and sells a hardened spring steel version of the PD2342. The GPM part number is KG1043TS, but it cross-references for compatibility with PD2342. You can buy it directly from GPM for $41.90 (https://www.gpmracing-parts.com/thu...el-gears-2pc-set-gpm-kg1043ts-p-90084505.html). Shipping will vary on destination country. That is expensive, but it is supposed to be an improvement over the stock metal.

You can also buy the GPM parts from RCDamper on Ebay for $42.99 and free shipping (https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARDENED-S...401982713464?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10).

After some very careful research and verification with my own rigs, the Bushmaster differential parts are NOT similar to the RC8.2e. However, there is some good news: the K-Rock, ST-1, ST-4 and MT4-G3 all use identical differential parts which are identical to the RC8.2e (RC8, RC8T and SC8) differential parts. NONE of the other Thunder Tiger vehicles are compatible.

The Thunder Tiger part number for just the ring and pinion gear set is PD2342. It is getting difficult to find, too, but not as bad as the Associated ASC89114 part. Dollar Hobbyz had complete differential housings (including PD2342) for $29 each, but I bought their last two. GPM still makes and sells a hardened spring steel version of the PD2342. The GPM part number is KG1043TS, but it cross-references for compatibility with PD2342. You can buy it directly from GPM for $41.90 (https://www.gpmracing-parts.com/thu...el-gears-2pc-set-gpm-kg1043ts-p-90084505.html). Shipping will vary on destination country. That is expensive, but it is supposed to be an improvement over the stock metal.

You can also buy the GPM parts from RCDamper on Ebay for $42.99 and free shipping (https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARDENED-S...401982713464?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10).
Hi MailManX,
Do you know if the RC8 centre diff is compatible with the following please?:

Hi MailManX,
Please can anyone advise if the original RC8 centre diff is replaceable /compatible with any of the following diff versions?:

*RC8B3 / RC8T3 V2 Center Diff Nitro - AS81358

Or

*RC8B3.2e / RC8B3e / RC8B3.1 Centre Diff - ASC80940

Many thanks,
James

Hi MailManX,
Do you know if the RC8 centre diff is compatible with the following please?:

Hi MailManX,
Please can anyone advise if the original RC8 centre diff is replaceable /compatible with any of the following diff versions?:

*RC8B3 / RC8T3 V2 Center Diff Nitro - AS81358

Or

*RC8B3.2e / RC8B3e / RC8B3.1 Centre Diff - ASC80940

Many thanks,
James
This is an old thread, and MailManX hasn't been here in over a year.

This is an old thread, and MailManX hasn't been here in over a year.
Yes the RC8B3 V2 center diff will fit RC8. Also the RC8B3 V2 differential Set #81361 (metal spur gear in center diff) will fit RC8 and MT4G3. If you want to convert all 3 diffs to v2 you need to change your diff input pinion to #81003 x 2.

Back