Getting RS4 3 18SS need a little help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varen

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I think I'm going to get an HPI RS4 3 18SS. I am mainly going to be using to to have fun with so I don't plan to race anytime soon. I want to do a few little things to it here and there to make it more fun to drive. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on parts/companies from more experienced R/C drivers.

I would like to make it handle/brake the best possible. So perhaps upgrading the suspension system and brake. Some tire recommendations would also be great. I would also like to add a tuned pipe and intake. I've read around a little and a lot of people seem to go with THS tuned pipes for their HPIs I searched around a little and could only find pipes that were made for .15 engines.. is it all the same and will work ok on the .18? I would think it would have more restrictions and perhaps create more backpressure on the engine.

Well if anyone could help me it would be awesome I'm completely new to this hobby and I'm trying to get as much information as possible about what I want to do with the car. Thanks!

To answer your question, the THS pipe (made for a .15) will work. Pretty much any small block pipe will work.

I'd recommend breaking it in first, then deciding what you think it should need.

I do advise that you take a good look at the car you get before purchasing. Are you aware that the 18SS kit does not have any radio equipment?

Yes which is one thing I forgot.. I was going to order it from tower hobbies but they give me option to build a kit which brings either http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASX3** or http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXENN0** whichever I like more. I can of course just get the car without building it through them and get a radio on my own but that is another thing that I don't know about. I don't really need anything hardcore but I would like something that isn't going to be a complete pos.

Hi,

IMHO, try the car with the stock equipment for a while, it's more than good enough for just running around for fun. This way, you'll actually get to see the weak points on the car and work from there...suuuuure I can tell you to go buy Ti turnbuckles, threaded shocks, and a cf top deck & shock towers but you're better off running it to your own liking. It's a very fun car, and much like a honda civic, everyone makes some sort of upgrade part for it. Also, keep in mind, the more adjustable/upgraded parts you put in, the more maintenance will be required to keep it going good. Good luck with the ride and have fun.

Back