Getting good tires off broken rims??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickstix

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I know this has been gone over numberous times before, but there all dated posts.. I'm wonderin if anyone has any new ideas, or perfected any old ones, for gettin good tires off of bad or cracked rims??

- I have acetone, but dont know if I should put the tire directly in it, or shim it up out of it (in a closed container) and let the fumes do the work? (and I dont know how long it takes)

- Also have the oven, but can NOT ruin the kitchen or oven or smoke/stink out the house, else I'll be lookin for shelter.. (also dont know the times and temps to use)

- And finally I could boil them, but havent really read much positive feedback about that method..

So, what should I do??? (I know, buy some new tires) But I dont want to sink anymore $ into it than I have to.. The tires are still practically new, but I cracked a rim practicing cartwheels DOH! and now it wobbles along like the wheels are square or somethin.. Thanks for any ideas or "recipes"!! :D

Oven, 250F for 15-20 minutes. It will smell a bit. Open a window. As sson as the tires come out, hit them with cool water just long enough so that you can handle them with gloves of course. The glue should be crystallized and the tire will pop right off with little effort. Acetone, I have never tried. I've heard to seal them in a bucket for a day or so. It's supposed to work good, no first hand experience though. Oven method is cheaper and faster.

they make a debonder to dissolve the glue

OK thanks! I guess I'm gonna try the oven bake method.. Bigt, I've heard that debonder is a real pia to get to work, and some say they never did get it to work? Have you got it to work before?

i have used boiling water to get them off

Last edited by a moderator:
oven works 10X better than boiling....

i havent tryed the oven yet
may next time
boiling did work for me
plus the vid shows both ways

Scrogg, no offense, but after viewing the video, looks to me as the boiling method works better! He had the tire peeled off the rim in no time after pulling it out of the water, whereas he had to fumble with it when he pulled it out of the oven. Just an observation, again, no offense!

T.

i have used the dedonder before. it works ok on wheels that are not factory glued. it takes a little bit of time to work but its not bad boiling or baking in deffinenly quicker

Mine are factory wheel/tires.. Figures.. lol.. Thanks for the video! can't wait to check it out!!

I've removed more tires from wheels than I care too. Until something better than the oven method comes along, I'll stick with it. I've boiled tires for 3o minutes and have them still not come off, not too mention waterlogging your foams. Chrome wheels turn dull when you boil them also.

I've never been able to find great success with the boiling method. I have used the oven before and it does work although I was only experimenting when I tried and I had it a little too hot. 250 sounds good though.

One thing I had thought about at one time but never tried (because I don't have one) is a food dehydrater.

Although some people get boiling to work I think the oven method is FAR superior. IMO it is not necessarily the heat that is doing a majority of the bond breaking work, it's the lack of moisture. CA is water activated. If you get the moisture out then it gets very brittle. This is why the oven works better than boiling. The hot dry air dehydrates the cured CA and the cracking of the bead is exactly what you want to see. The same reason applies to the use of acetone. Acetone evaporates VERY quickly and thus takes moisture [in the form of water] with it. I think if you used a food dehydrator you could crack the bead and completely eliminate the risk that heat may induce, including melting and chrome flattening.

Last edited:
Supposedly yes the acetone works well. It would be a little expensive IMO. It takes a lot of Acetone to cover 4 MT tires. True, you could reuse it many times. I just prefer the oven. Quick, neat and clean.
Note before you mount the tire or wheel, whatever the case may be...You must remove all the dried CA glue. A Dremel sanding drum works well, then wipe everything clean with Denatured Alcohol or some good degreaser.

OK cool! I was wondering about reglueing and how to get the old ca off the rubber..

On the acetone method, I was under the impression that it worked off the fumes, more so than submerging the tires? Least that's how I interpreted it? I think it said your supposed to pour some in the bottom of a sealable container, and use something in the bottom to hold the wheels up out of the acetone, then put the lid on the container and let it set for like 15 hours? I guess I could experiment and find out.. I've got a dozen sets of old touring car rims/tires I never threw away.. But I think for now I'm gonna try the oven bake method. I've not seen anyone say they failed doing it that way.. I just dont want to melt the tires, or render them useless if they become brittle or something? AH well, guess I just need to do it and see what happens.. Worst thing is I'll have to buy a new set of tires.. :) I'll post my results after I'm done.. (Tomorrow afternoon) Thanks again for the help!!!

A few years ago, I debonded roughly 30 tires from rims. 2.2 rims and standard MT rims. I had a bunch that I had spun the hex's on or cracked the rims, but never dealt with them. So I did them all in one shot.

Boiling worked about 50% of the time. The other 50% it made the rubber soft and tear on me. Tried 4 MT tires, savage GT tires. 2 ripped, 2 came off.

Baking did nothing for me 100% of the time other than make the house smell. 4 MT tires, t-maxx chevrons.

Debonder worked, but still required some cutting and that stuffs expensive when your working with as many tires a I was. You have to repeatedly soak the bead with it and eventually it gets down in the the bead and softens the glue. Only tried it on a couple and it took the entire bottle (1 oz) to get the two tires off. $7 a bottle!

Acetone worked really well, but ruined the foams. Considering how well it worked, I just used it anyway and tossed the foams. I ended up using this on all the remaining tires (25+) and every single one quite literally fell off the rim.

My method was using a 8" cooking pan that I created a concave pocket in by taping a plastic garbage bag to the outside. When the tire was layed in the pan, the bag would tighten a bit on the edges around the tire so a very minimal amount of acetone was needed (which was still a decent amount. I poured in enough acetone to make sure the bottom bead was totally submerged. Then I used that food cover stuff that seals when you press over the entire pan and pressed the edges down. Then I let it sit for a minimum of 8 hours on each side of the tire. When I flipped the tire, I'd pop the tire off the bead and wipe it off before laying it on the other side. I didn't notice that the fumes did anything to the bead that was not submerged. Both sides required soaking to get the tire off.

Was time consuming, but worked. The reason the acetone ruined the foams is because it dissolved the super glue into the acetone. The foams then soaked up the acetone and when you rung out the foam, all that remained in the foam was a nice layer of the glue you just dissolved. Within 20 minutes, the foam would be as hard as a rock.

Since I was only doing one tire at a time, doing all 25 tires took me 8 days or so. I could get three done a day on weekend days, but only two on work days. If I tried to rush it, it just made for more work, so 8 hour soak was the minimum.

Back