Getting back into it after a while out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stretch79

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wonder if you guys could help. Been out a long time (manta ray long lol)

Wanting to get a monster truck basically so I can build and let kids learn on it and myself use it. Couple of questions.

1, I’ve looked but I cannot find much with a like for like of the monster jam trucks, my boy would love a grave digger or similar look etc, is there a model I can get of 4x4 and say buy a different shell that I can paint so it looks like one?

2, With regards to the speed, can you say limit the esc or as such so it doesn’t fly off and they can’t control it?

Seems much has changed but any pointers appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Welcome in @Stretch79 a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 kit would give you a good start. I have two of the 4x4 kits and a 2wd. The complete unassembled kit are a great learning tool and fun to build.

Hi Tuned. Thanks for the welcome.
After I posted I noted the Traxxas trucks. Looks good. Would go for the 4x4 version. Knowing me I’d start upgrading a lot lol

Have you ever come across a way to limit them speed wise so to speak?

I run mine on 3s which pushes it plenty fast for a 1/10 scale. I do get some serious ballooning on the tires but thats fixable as well. There is a ton of parts available and again it was a fun kit to build. I upgraded with a aluminum drive shaft, heavy duty axles, and brushless motor. I'm the type of guy that likes to wait until it breaks before I upgrade it and so far the axles and a spur gear is the only thing I've broke.

Arrma also has some really nice RTR trucks available. I have a Arrma Typhon buggy I really like.

Thanks a lot that help. I’m the same. Break it then upgrade to stronger.

sorry what do you mean by 3s?

Wow them Arrma do look good for sure. Just looked them up on modelsport
Ah 3s relates to the battery’s

A lot of the Arrma parts are out of stock so if you go that route, be patient when ordering parts.
I realize you are getting back into it and you have experience but I tell all the guys that are just getting into it, to chose a vehicle that has plenty of available parts. They do and will break...

Understood. Thank you for that. Seen this one. Like the look of it.

Attachments

• F7ACD6EB-4C5C-4809-8B0F-6C124D50C00D.png
    F7ACD6EB-4C5C-4809-8B0F-6C124D50C00D.png
    407.3 KB · Views: 62
3 c or s is 3 cell lipo.. we use lipos now not just nimh(Nickle metel hydride)or nicad, lipo is 4.2v and 4.7 volts a cell ...and 2.4ghz radios not just 27mhz or 72 mhz..

Hi tnt. Got it. Yeah there’s a lot to learn and read up on it seems lol when I was last on the rc scene it was the nimh stuff only.

Think if I get the rtr stuff that’ll help me with the basics then go from there. Hopefully plenty of shells to choose from

The Big Rock would be a great choice and are quite popular in the Arrma forum. I don't own one but I would if I were searching for something.
If you are also considering Lipo batteries, please read up on them. If not used properly they could be dangerous.

The lipo stuff was only what I had back in the day not something I’d look at now mind.

Yeah the big rock looks good middle of the range type.

The vxl-3s esc in the brushless stampede 4x4 has a trainer mode. Cuts it to 50% speed electronically.

Just know, the brushed version is a bit different from the brushless, aside from the motor/esc. Diffs are geared lower, it has a plastic center shaft vs aluminum tube, plastic "turnbuckles" vs steel. The "kit" is the brushed version in pieces. The gearing it comes with is as low I think as you can mechanically go. The brushed esc also comes with a training mode you can set which will also cut power.

I'd still go with lipo, charges fast, gets a more consistent run throughout the pack. As long as you have a proper balance charger, they are pretty safe. Short of driving a nail through them...

I have a stampede 4x4 vxl modified to the moon... 1/8th electronics in it, I still run it on 3S though, geared for about 48mph. Just hit a tree with it the other day which busted some aftermarket alloy parts I put on it. $60 for that 5 minute run and mistake. :(

Hi old.
That’s some great help that.

May have a closer look at that then as that would be helpful for the kids.

Have a rc heli that as soon as you crash it’s expensive. Need to get that going too so feel the pain there lol

thanks

Stretch whats you flavor in batteries these days?. A123-LiFe-Lipo-LIHv.nicad-nimh or the new depleted nuclear waste batteries?.mine is A123.

looking at the one I want to buy it comes with lipo as a need this to complete

Attachments

• 29E31F04-74A9-4855-9AC7-77C4BA5C45D6.png
    29E31F04-74A9-4855-9AC7-77C4BA5C45D6.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 71
Been looking at reviews on the truck.
Few people have mentioned weak parts such as:-

servos
Plastic spur gear
Stock tires are narrow and soft
Stock drive shaft U-joints are weak and
come apart easily on 3S
Steering servo failed after only 4 batteries
One thing to keep in mind is the stock steering servo is a 23t and most aftermarket are 25t. You will need to

common issues apparently but that’s over only a couple of users