Gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudSlinger33

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am looking at getting big joes or some other 40 series tires. What would be a good starting point to gear for the extra weight.

My 2 cents - depends on how you are using it - on-road / off-road / bashing - ya want top speed? Or quick accelleration with bottom end torque?

I would keep it with the current gearing so you can compare apples with apples - if it feels sluggish then gear down - if accelleration is ok = cool, you've just picked up your top speed.

I am looking at getting big joes or some other 40 series tires. What would be a good starting point to gear for the extra weight.

Did someone hack your account? I can't believe you would post such a Noob style question, we need info, I'll help. :D
What engine is on the Savage?
What gearing is on it now?
Current tires?
Where will you be driving? Cut grass, loose dirt, hilly area, etc.

PS, if you really want to turn those bad boys, look into a supercharger, K&N filter and a NOS kit, Rolex also posted a pic of an electric turbo. :p:

Guess I'm just trying to stir up some conversation.:hehe:

F4.6
17/47
Stock tires
Sandy soil

P.S- Ill pass on the stupid charger and that little electric turbo.

Bought myself a set of big joe's today. I guess I will see how it performs and make the necessary gear changes as needed.

Good luck man, I want a set for my XXL, throw some pics up. If I knew more about the Savage, I may have been able to help.

I run the same gaering when i use my Joes. Theyre mostly wider. Just a bit taller.

i have a set of big Joes on my Maxx 3.3, they are heavy, and a huge draw on power from the motor...nice tires, just wish they were lighter ! maybe the Savage has more power, but they are a load !

i have a set of big Joes on my Maxx 3.3, they are heavy, and a huge draw on power from the motor...nice tires, just wish they were lighter ! maybe the Savage has more power, but they are a load !

Do you have pics of your 3.3? That is a lot of meat to turn for a small block. Should be easier for a .28.

here is some video of the 3.3 with big joes

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv3B_ZzaJic&feature=plcp"]DANGEROUS DAN SMITH.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

I had found a thread once, where a guy had weighed multiple tires and posted the numbers. The Big Joes were actually lighter than the stock XXL tires, and they said it made the truck (XXL) a little "quicker" due to the lighter weight. I'm not sure how they compare to the set you're running on your Savage, if all else fails I'm accepting donations.......or I guess you could put them on your Losi.

Got the big joes installed, I love the look, and took it for a test drive. It hooks up well in the dirt, but I do notice a slight loss in acceleration. I could drop a couple teeth on the bell but was planning on upgrading the motor soon anyways. I think an LRP .32 should fix my problem.
IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

i figured you would like them !!! they look KIller !

Thanks! I plan on widening the truck also, the tires sit too close to the shocks.

hell what i do is make sure it takes off well without no tuggin+if it starts to go thru clutch shoes i'll drop down one tooth on the clutchbell,,,LOL

Run Big Joe,s (belted)on the back only with beadlock bowtie rims. and stock on the front. with sway bars installed it never flips on dirt tracks and steering remains responsive. the outer diameter of stock tires with big joes on the back are nearly identical. I end up with a bit more front end grab at speed once the stock (unbelted) ballon up and helps increase steering on dirt. on grassy lawn areas is a tottaly different story and will swap to matching sets of stock tires or terrapin and take more care with cornering.

Back