Fully Charged battery, dead after 5mins? New Anaconda Street tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I ran my rustler 2wd. Charged my NiMH 8.4v 4200 mah battery about 2 before I went out. Went dead after 5 minutes. I charged the same battery up again ran it in my slash 2wd ran for 30 minutes straight! I wonder if anything is pulling power like the servo, motor, esc. I have 2 chargers 1 dual and 1 single. The one I charged it on was a onyx 110. My other charger is a onyx 210 dual. Also had my rustler for about 10 months and the rear tires aren't getting much grip so I got the Anaconda street tires and wheels - So much grip!!

I ran my rustler 2wd. Charged my NiMH 8.4v 4200 mah battery about 2 before I went out. Went dead after 5 minutes. I charged the same battery up again ran it in my slash 2wd ran for 30 minutes straight! I wonder if anything is pulling power like the servo, motor, esc. I have 2 chargers 1 dual and 1 single. The one I charged it on was a onyx 110. My other charger is a onyx 210 dual. Also had my rustler for about 10 months and the rear tires aren't getting much grip so I got the Anaconda street tires and wheels - So much grip!!
Was the motor hot after running the Rustler? If the drivetrain is a little stiff maybe it was putting a strain on the motor?

Motor wasn't hot. The drivetrain wasn't stiff at all.
Did you check the volts of the nimh after you charged them? Did you charge the same battery on the same charger or use the other one.after it died? Did you upgrade servos or anything in the rustler?

The stock nimh traxxas batteries aren't gonna last very long and are very expensive. I have a 35$ amazon lipo and that makes my slash shred. However, I doubt it was the battery. It was more than likely an improperly charged battery. It may say it's fully charged but it's actually dead as a doornail. Hope this helps.

Did you check the volts of the nimh after you charged them? Did you charge the same battery on the same charger or use the other one.after it died? Did you upgrade servos or anything in the rustler?
On the charger I had been using I had it set on 2 amps or 4 amps on the current. When it was done charging It would flash green. Here is the charger I had been using: Onyx 110 AC DC Peak Charger NiCD NiMH I did use the same battery and same charger. My servo is the stock 2075 Blue servo. Here is the other charger I have, I haven't been using it because the fan on it is done and makes noises everytime i plug it in: Onyx 245 AC DC Dual Charger w Balancing I use to have a single traxxas ez-peak plus charger but I don't know where it is. Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus Multi-Chemistry Battery Charger w/Auto iD (3S/4A/40W)
What electronics do you have in the 2 different kits? a NiMH will last a bit on a brushed system but will run out very quickly on a brushless system.
I have the same electronics in both of my cars, the slash and rustler. Brushed titan 12t, XL-5, Servo Traxxas 2075,2075R
The stock nimh traxxas batteries aren't gonna last very long and are very expensive. I have a 35$ amazon lipo and that makes my slash shred. However, I doubt it was the battery. It was more than likely an improperly charged battery. It may say it's fully charged but it's actually dead as a doornail. Hope this helps.
Here is the batteries I use. $30 off of amazon. melasta 8.4V 4200mAh 7-Cell Flat Pack NiMH Battery with Traxxas Discharge Plug for RC Racing Car Toys Hobbies They have been working good for both of my cars. I have 3 of those batteries and 1 traxxas battery. Traxxas 2950X Series 4 4200mAh NiMH 7-Cell, 8.4V Battery (flat pack)
I am 12 years old. My uncle got me into the hobby back in 2015. He wants me to use nimh batteries because lipos could potentially catch on fire and I think you need to discharge them or put them in a storage mode when not using them. Later in the future I will switch to lipo.

Last edited:
I am 12 years old. My uncle got me into the hobby back in 2015. He wants me to use nimh batteries because lipos could potentially catch on fire and I think you need to discharge them or put them in a storage mode when not using them. Later in the future I will switch to lipo.
That is great that he wants to keep you safe, but you already know more than most "new to LiPo" people it seems. Yes, when done running, you put them back on the charger and do a storage charge on them. That will either charge them or drain them to around 3.8v. Then you don't have to worry about them for a very long time. I just found a little tiny whoop battery the other day that must have fallen off my toolbox and was hiding behind it. It was bought over a year ago and was still doing fine.

When you want to know more about LiPo care just ask 😉

I am 14 and my dad tells me to keep things stock. He said that to me probably because hes jealous my 60mph car smoked his stock rustler.
LOL! You are probably right 😉

Back