fuel spraying from under the colling head when i try to start?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugger

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i jumped a snow bank this past weekend and landed upside down pretty hard. the car cutoff after a few seconds of running and now when i try to roto start it it sprays som fuel from under the head and actually gets warm when i am trying to start it. i dont know if i knocked the head loose but it will start and run havnet really driven it like this just started it but it doesn't want to idle well. what did i break please help
thanks
chris

try this

hmmm.....you may have bent you head so that it is not on flush. so i woudltn run again and id take out 4 screws that hold on cooling head, remove it(dont get any dirt or anything in engine!....be careful) and check for any visual damage any cracks, that hard landing you had may have stipped one of the screw holes on the head or engine block so chek that and then if everything checks out put head back on

and a good strategy is put a screw on in one corner then do the opposite side so the seal will be less likely to be not flush and then just do the other to check out drawing

Attachments

• head leak.bmp
    414.1 KB · Views: 157
Well, if the fuel is coming out from under the head. (the top par with the cooling fins). It would be safe to assume that either

#1 you bent the head, and it's not sealing well
#2 the screws that hold the head on became loose ,again not sealing well.
#3 The screws that hold the head on were bent, or broken, once again making the head loose.

When you don't get a good seal between the head, and the the case of the engine, you get an air leak. When the piston goes down to load up on fuel, it creats a vacuum. This vacuum will suck in air.
When the piston comes up on the compression stroke you loose fuel before it can ignite.

So with a leaky head, you're getting lean condition and a loss of compression.

A lean condition will case your motor to get hot.
An air leak will cause your motor to run erratic.
An aire leak at the head will cause a loss of compression, thus power.

My suggestion, clean it up really good, and take off your head. Their should be four of five allen screws on the head if your looking down on it from the top. Remove those. See if it's just screws that are loose or bent. If that's the case your lucky. If the head is bent, you will have to buy a new one :(

Hope that helps

this happened to me, i hit hard a lot, the screws just came loose

i checked the tightness of the screws.
2 where kinda loose so i tightend them.
i went and tighted all 4.
i will see if this fixes the problem if not a bigger cooling head is on the way.
thanks guys
lata
chris

Back