FTX OUTLAW BRUSHLESS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, purchased the exact same car for my 11 Yr old for Xmas today and guess what, charged it up, took it out for twenty minutes until the battery died and recharged it to find that only the steering works, no forward or reverse at all. Tried everything, did you have any look? I've emailed RC Geeks so hopefully they'll reply after the Xmas break... We have a very upset child :(
I’m really sorry I missed this message. Did you get it sorted? Mine was fine but I can explain what happened if you still have an issue. I’ve now got a new issue ☹️ Cannot get it it to go forward. Only goes in reverse.

I’m really sorry I missed this message. Did you get it sorted? Mine was fine but I can explain what happened if you still have an issue. I’ve now got a new issue ☹️ Cannot get it it to go forward. Only goes in reverse.
Hi, no problem it's a busy period.. Unfortunately it is still the same, doesn't beep on start up anymore and the only thing that operates is the steering, this all happened after the second charge... Tried recalibration, tried the set button on start up too without any outcome.
Unfortunately Rc geeks aren't returning my emails....

Hi, no problem it's a busy period.. Unfortunately it is still the same, doesn't beep on start up anymore and the only thing that operates is the steering, this all happened after the second charge... Tried recalibration, tried the set button on start up too without any outcome.
Wow! Same issue I had. Exact same and same company. Ok. So in my case I listened to all advice above but I sent it back to RC Geeks. They will get back to you but they are unbelievably slow. They won’t talk to you on phone Whatsap FaceTime they just want to email. They were really helpful tho I have to say. I assumed they were blanking me but I think they are just small. So don’t panic too much about that like
I did.

We went through a few checks. Ensuring you switch the car on and then the controller not the reverse as I did in the video. But I am 99% sure I tried it the way they recommended to. They recommended I post the car to them. They took it out the box and it worked as normal. So that was annoying. But I just wanted a working car so was happy. When they sent it back it worked absolutely fine. No issues. Until last week. Now it only goes in reverse. 🤦🏽‍♂️ I thought maybe if I just let it sit round and recharge the battery it might work. Tried it today no change. Just had a thought. The only other thing I did when I sent the car back to geeks is remove the batteries from the controller. Maybe that makes no difference I don’t know maybe just worth trying.

Wow! Same issue I had. Exact same and same company. Ok. So in my case I listened to all advice above but I sent it back to RC Geeks. They will get back to you but they are unbelievably slow. They won’t talk to you on phone Whatsap FaceTime they just want to email. They were really helpful tho I have to say. I assumed they were blanking me but I think they are just small. So don’t panic too much about that like
I did.

We went through a few checks. Ensuring you switch the car on and then the controller not the reverse as I did in the video. But I am 99% sure I tried it the way they recommended to. They recommended I post the car to them. They took it out the box and it worked as normal. So that was annoying. But I just wanted a working car so was happy. When they sent it back it worked absolutely fine. No issues. Until last week. Now it only goes in reverse. 🤦🏽‍♂️ I thought maybe if I just let it sit round and recharge the battery it might work. Tried it today no change. Just had a thought. The only other thing I did when I sent the car back to geeks is remove the batteries from the controller. Maybe that makes no difference I don’t know maybe just worth trying.
That is a common issue with FTX ESC's. They work one day, and not the next. you're best bet would be to replace the ESC with a HobbyWing. You can send it back to the place you got it from, but, if it works when they receive it, they will just send it back, and the cycle will continue like that. They typically wont replace parts unless they absolutely have to. For that car, i would run the HobbyWing 10BL60 ESC:https://www.ebay.com/itm/174823477391?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:193zhAAZHSECMilkygQR86w92&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=174823477391&targetid=1262906534602&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9005776&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1262906534602&abcId=9300697&merchantid=101744649&gclid=CjwKCAiAzrWOBhBjEiwAq85QZ8d3lku4i3wEIvceQzoB8yxAyar3DOWbKMWseLLDhK9PZNL7A2ggkhoCcRQQAvD_BwE , and get rid of the Etronix completely. I know that means spending more, but, especially on the cheaper stuff, it is cheaper to replace the electronics with something that will last, than to go back and forth with the retailer only to have them, at most replace the ESC with the same one that you will have to eventually replace with something better anyway.

That is a common issue with FTX ESC's. They work one day, and not the next. you're best bet would be to replace the ESC with a HobbyWing. You can send it back to the place you got it from, but, if it works when they receive it, they will just send it back, and the cycle will continue like that. They typically wont replace parts unless they absolutely have to. For that car, i would run the HobbyWing 10BL60 ESC:https://www.ebay.com/itm/174823477391?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:193zhAAZHSECMilkygQR86w92&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=174823477391&targetid=1262906534602&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9005776&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1262906534602&abcId=9300697&merchantid=101744649&gclid=CjwKCAiAzrWOBhBjEiwAq85QZ8d3lku4i3wEIvceQzoB8yxAyar3DOWbKMWseLLDhK9PZNL7A2ggkhoCcRQQAvD_BwE , and get rid of the Etronix completely. I know that means spending more, but, especially on the cheaper stuff, it is cheaper to replace the electronics with something that will last, than to go back and forth with the retailer only to have them, at most replace the ESC with the same one that you will have to eventually replace with something better anyway.
Thanks for this. It’s a bit annoying having to replace something so quickly but having thought about it you’re right. I’ll end up sending it back again for another £10. I’ll look at getting this ESC replaced. Thanks again for taking the time to advise/reply.

Hi, purchased the exact same car for my 11 Yr old for Xmas today and guess what, charged it up, took it out for twenty minutes until the battery died and recharged it to find that only the steering works, no forward or reverse at all. Tried everything, did you have any look? I've emailed RC Geeks so hopefully they'll reply after the Xmas break... We have a very upset child :(
I think I can help, sounds like your LiPo (or Li-Ion, I don't know which you have) was over discharged, which means it's basically garbage, since it won't be able to take a charge again. Your ESC's LVC (Low-Voltage-Cutoff) is too low, I recommend using a LiPo alarm, they are under $5, you can set the voltage at which they will beep loudly at you to let you know the LiPo/Li-Ion voltage is low, and they will show you a total voltage readout as well as the voltage of each cell. Either that, or your charger did not properly charge the battery, so it's on low battery, and the ESC's LVC kicked in, so no throttle (the ESC is preventing you from draining the battery further). Try a different battery, or perhaps upgrade to a "better" charger, the cheap ones that come with cars don't charge the batteries properly, and increase the chance of a battery fire. Grap a LiPo charging bag (to be safe), and a basic balance charger (you don't need one with a screen, but the screen is really nice). My charger is the SkyRC E3, it's a very basic balance charger, does the job safely, charges 2s or 3s pack, all for under $20. Good luck!

Back