Free Truck, missing a few things...

• Thread starter GMCK1500shoptruck
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMCK1500shoptruck

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
IMG_0438.jpg

An old friend saw my new Associated CR12 on Facebook, and messaged me to see if I wanted some jackstands. Well, he brought me some jackstands... and an axial SCX10 frame with a bag full of stainless hardware. I guess I'm building an Axial now...

Obviously I've got an empty canvas to work with here, and I'm not really sure exactly what I need, but I do have a plan. I'm thinking about an 80's Chevy truck body painted to match my 1:1 truck. The goal is to have a good basic truck for crawling, trail rides, and some light "bashing".

This is gonna be a longer project, I've spent most of my "play" money on model train stuff recently, so it's gonna be a lot of searching for deals...

I'm very much open to suggestions for all the stuff I'm gonna need to turn this into a truck...

looking at the chassis my brain just goes crazy at what I could do with the parts I have on hand..do you wanta stay with what I and other call a shafty?..if so Id put ground pounder gear in that or if you can I put moa gear in it..with 4 wheel steer..Have fun I always do!

What's a "shafty"?

I do know I don't want to use the 3D printed braces and shock mounts- all of the braces are split across the screw holes, and the shock towers don't look that great to me...

If you dont like a part replace it.. I like nylon as a chassis brace or even a shock tower and my Dremel tool and my brig port make thing easy .. along with propane powered aluminum welding roods

There is a lot of aftermarket support for the SCX-10 chassis. You can aluminum axles, shock towers, bumpers and rock rails. You can get titanium links. This is my SCX-10 project:
20120911_181308.jpg
20121016_161541.jpg

That makes sense... definitely going shafty with this...

As for parts, I'm seeing that there's several versions of the SCX10. I was told this frame is the first version. I've seen parts for SCX10.2, and I think I saw some SCX10.3 stuff... Is there a way to tell what I have? I don't want to buy parts that won't fit... (I'm obviously a newbie)

Thanks for the links! I like the looks of the RPP stuff. The vanquish stuff is really nice, but it's a little on the pricey side for me...

Thanks for the links! I like the looks of the RPP stuff. The vanquish stuff is really nice, but it's a little on the pricey side for me...
The Vanquish stuff is expensive, but the quality of their parts is the best that I've seen. I've got the Vanquish Currie Rock Jock axles under my SCX-10.

I'm sure the vanquish stuff is great, but I'm not sure I can personally justify the cost. I don't plan on beating on the truck (absolutely no skate park thrashing), it will probably see mostly trail riding/crawling, and maybe catch a little air off the sand dunes at the beach every once in a while, but I'm not gonna launch the thing 500 feet in the air... For reference I never broke anything on the Traxxas Stampede I had years ago...

Been checking out the different versions of the SCX10 and I think I'm gonna build this to -2 kit specs... from what I've read I think it will make a better truck...

I'm sure the vanquish stuff is great, but I'm not sure I can personally justify the cost. I don't plan on beating on the truck (absolutely no skate park thrashing), it will probably see mostly trail riding/crawling, and maybe catch a little air off the sand dunes at the beach every once in a while, but I'm not gonna launch the thing 500 feet in the air... For reference I never broke anything on the Traxxas Stampede I had years ago...

These trucks with their factory gearing aren't speed demons and would be hard-pressed to catch some air. You might want to consider the 2-speed upgrade for the SCX-10II.

I'll have to consider that... I don't necessarily need speed or air... I'll have to consider the "value" of the higher speed vs. the extra cost and complexity of a 2 speed trans... I would likely be perfectly happy with another trail/crawling rig.

I guess I don't really have any specific goals in mind for this truck, it's more about building a rig from scratch, and learning about the platform and what it can do...

I'll have to consider that... I don't necessarily need speed or air... I'll have to consider the "value" of the higher speed vs. the extra cost and complexity of a 2 speed trans... I would likely be perfectly happy with another trail/crawling rig.

I guess I don't really have any specific goals in mind for this truck, it's more about building a rig from scratch, and learning about the platform and what it can do...

The SCX-10 is designed as a trail rig/crawler.

Back