FMS FCX24 flatbed build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I picked up a second FMS FCX24 to try some mods on. First of all if you haven't seen these, they are a great addition to the mini crawler segment of the hobby. I think these will be quite popular rigs in the near future. I was impressed enough to pick up a second one. Has some really nice features such as a hard body, lights, portal axles and a two speed transmission

Here is what I am talking about. 1/24 scale crawler Based on the vintage Dodge Power Wagon.
PSX_20220801_192934.jpg

The kit comes with a roll bar and spare tire set up for the back end. I have decided to put a small flatbed on this particular build.
Here is the kit without the rear roll bar and spare tire.
PSX_20220731_095110.jpg

So I did some measuring, and then some more measuring, and started making a prototype for the bed. I have to tell you in advance, I am quite spoiled, and have access to the laser at work and get to use it during the lunch hour. After a few close but not quite attempts, I finally got a template that works. I used a scrap piece of plastic from my stash and cut out the base for the flatbed.
PSX_20220801_193242.jpg

Here is a closer look, I made cut outs for the shocks and also for my side rail supports.
PSX_20220801_193406.jpg

The next step will be cutting the side rail posts. If all goes well the plan is to add wood rails. That's it for this evening, hope to have more progress tomorrow or the next day. :)

I picked up a second FMS FCX24 to try some mods on. First of all if you haven't seen these, they are a great addition to the mini crawler segment of the hobby. I think these will be quite popular rigs in the near future. I was impressed enough to pick up a second one. Has some really nice features such as a hard body, lights, portal axles and a two speed transmission

Here is what I am talking about. 1/24 scale crawler Based on the vintage Dodge Power Wagon.
View attachment 149996

The kit comes with a roll bar and spare tire set up for the back end. I have decided to put a small flatbed on this particular build.
Here is the kit without the rear roll bar and spare tire.
View attachment 149997

So I did some measuring, and then some more measuring, and started making a prototype for the bed. I have to tell you in advance, I am quite spoiled, and have access to the laser at work and get to use it during the lunch hour. After a few close but not quite attempts, I finally got a template that works. I used a scrap piece of plastic from my stash and cut out the base for the flatbed.View attachment 149998

Here is a closer look, I made cut outs for the shocks and also for my side rail supports.
View attachment 149999

The next step will be cutting the side rail posts. If all goes well the plan is to add wood rails. That's it for this evening, hope to have more progress tomorrow or the next day. :)
Cool build that looks like a cool build i wish they would do the bullet nose wags. 1/4x5 Coffee stir sticks seem to be perfect 2x6 size and craft shop should have square wood dowels that might fit your uprights

Very cool, looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Like the early 40s wagons doom . Alot of companies make the late 50s wags with the flat nose really this would be kinda cool to do a 1:24 scale of as a wagon wagon

aaaa_1.jpg

Maybe I will need a third one down the road to do a wrecker. :)

Ok, today at lunch I did a mock up for the rails. What do you guys think, inside rails or external rails. I'm leaning towards inside but was curious what you guys think.

Inside
IMG_20220802_131757333_HDR.jpg

Outside
IMG_20220802_131806497_HDR.jpg

I also think I'm going to cut the posts down and make it only two rails tall instead of three. I think it will look better because of how short the bed is.

Ok, don't rat me out, did a little more tweaking while my machine was running at work. Shortened the rails down to two tall.
PSX_20220802_143601.jpg

Looks like it's time to round up the wood for the rails, now that the layout works.

Most are inside the uprights due to load barring and really looking at it they look better man

The stakes would be outside. Otherwise, anything thrown inside can push the rails off the stakes. Especially the front one 😉

I got lazy on the front one, I will measure it right and put the rail inside when I cut the wood. You weren't supposed to notice that. :p
The stakes would be outside. Otherwise, anything thrown inside can push the rails off the stakes. Especially the front one 😉

I got lazy on the front one, I will measure it right and put the rail inside when I cut the wood. You weren't supposed to notice that.
maxresdefault (1).jpg
Thought this might give you some ideas man. I did see alot the headache rack is solid metal with wood stake sides you got all sorts of options really you can slant the stakes and stuff kinda cool all you can do with a stake bed

I got lazy on the front one, I will measure it right and put the rail inside when I cut the wood. You weren't supposed to notice that. :p
To be honest, I have seen them both ways, so it looks fine as is.

That looks MUCH better

Omg...3 edits i neef to go to bed
->->->->->->->->^^^^^ thats I'm done good night

goddam., what a beautifull little crawler
now i need buy one too

i love hard plastic bodies , and this very old dodge is so cool . charmy

what do you guys say about this style ?
fg6.jpg

I'm thinkin tamiya corsa gray, and matte finish
black brown bed in wood
black wheels, tow hooks in front.

Something almost like in the picture

tamiya-color-ps32-corsa-grey_1024x1024.jpg

Does this color exist in TS ? to hard plastic

Last edited:
Today during my lunch hour I stained my wood planks. I used Liquitex Ink (Burnt Umber) to stain the basswood planks.

Here is the ink

ink.jpg

A shot of the new plank color, much better than the blonde color they started as.
planks.jpg

Next up, I need to get some paint on the upright posts.

Back