Flysky FS-GT3B Camera Mount Mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrent15

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So your hiking out in the woods and you come along a nice trail. You take out your crawler and begin your epic run on the trail. But wait, how are you going to capture the trail run without a free hand to record. You have several choices.

#1. Ask your buddy who came along with you to record but he just doesn't seem to get the right angle.

#2. You control your crawler with one hand and use the other to record, but the the crawler gets out of control and it tips over or crashes.

#3. Modify your transmitter with a camera mount which allows you full control of the crawler and get the perfect video.

Well, in this scenario I choose option 3. After looking all over the internet to find a solution and looking at several mods of people and their radios, I just didnt like what I saw. So I went on amazon and decided to order a few things, all within $30. Here is what I came up with. Enjoy.

****Forgot to take pictures of taking the top cover off the radio and then drilling a hole to mount the camera hot shoe mount.****

Camera Hot Shoe Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062TVHBE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phone Tripod Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU2U5HT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Flysky 1.jpg
    Flysky 1.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Flysky 2.jpg
    Flysky 2.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Flysky 3.jpg
    Flysky 3.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Flysky 4.jpg
    Flysky 4.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Flysky 5.jpg
    Flysky 5.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Flysky 6.jpg
    Flysky 6.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Flysky 7.jpg
    Flysky 7.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Flysky 8.jpg
    Flysky 8.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 73
That is a great idea, and I am going to do this to my GT3B now!

Maybe I should have done this myself instead of spending all that money on a gopro lol. Good idea

I went back and took the radio top off to give you guys a closer look. You will need to use a dremel to shave a little off the circuit board.

Step 1. Remove four screws holding down the top cover.
Step 2. Remove the selector knob. (photo flysky 9)
Step 3. Remove the top cover.
Step 4. Use dremel to shave off part of the circuit board for clearance of camera shoe mount. (photo flysky 10)
Step 5. Drill hole on top cover for the shoe mount screw. Make sure to align with circuit board location and shave down as needed.
Step 6. Use epoxy to hold in place the shoe mount screw. After epoxy sets, place small tape (electrical) on top of shoe mount screw to minimize metal to circuit board contact. (photo flysky 11 and 12)
Step 7. Put the top cover back on and check for clearance. (photo flysky 13)

I hope this helps. The whole process took about 30 minutes. Well worth it. Just need to get out on the trail and start recording.

***Side note. On the camera shoe mount screw, the flat end is a square. You will want to grind it down one side to make the square a rectangle for better clearance against the circuit board. Meaning less shaving on the circuit board.

Flysky 9.jpg
Flysky 10.jpg
Flysky 11.jpg
Flysky 12.jpg
Flysky 13.jpg

Thanks for the extra info. That is a great idea. I have been looking at the head mounts too, but I like this idea better because with the head mount you can't really see what you are filming. Plus this won't make you look like a goofball with a camera on your head LOL.

Thanks for the extra info. That is a great idea. I have been looking at the head mounts too, but I like this idea better because with the head mount you can't really see what you are filming. Plus this won't make you look like a goofball with a camera on your head LOL.
While the head mount does look a bit goofy, filming with it is easy because you're pretty much always looking right at what your filming so its always in view.

While the head mount does look a bit goofy, filming with it is easy because you're pretty much always looking right at what your filming so its always in view.
Yeah, that is true. I have watched vids where they didn't have the camera looking directly where they were looking though. I kinda like one I saw where it held your phone in front of your face, kinda like goggles.

Back