FLM chassis (fast lane machine)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just_visiting

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Some of us on here have FLM parts. After getting my first 4908 I decided to build a full custom maxx. I decided on the FLM extended chassis. Their parts seemed tough and are definitely good looking. I bought all of the parts that made sense to buy, chassis, bulks, towers, etc. After some confusion with the bulks, I ended up upgrading to their hybrid bulks that accommodate 1/8th scale differentials. The 4908 has a different front brake than previous t-maxxes. They even had a front shaft kit for it. When it came time to assemble, things went together well. Since it's a custom build, there was some improvising that needed to go on, but I made plenty of progress with enough research. When it became time to connect the completed front diff to the chassis, it just wouldn't go together. It appears that the front drive shaft is too long.

So as it stands, if you were to purchase their chassis, hybrid bulks and their front drive shaft kit with a 4908 transmission, IT DOES NOT WORK TOGETHER. In addition to it not working together, it's very difficult to get answers from them. In the time that it's taken me to build this truck, I've built another t-maxx, acquired a Jato 3.3, two Ofna LX Ones, and an Ofna Hyper 9 Pro 2.0. Hell, I almost picked up a Mugen MBX6T lastnight. Every one of them have been upgraded and all haul a$$.

The only thing that's preventing my full FLM maxx from running is this stupid front shaft. Everything else is ready to go. Has anyone on this forum been able to get the hybrid bulks with the front shaft kit and a 4908 tranny to work?

Not knowing how anyone measures a drive shaft, I sent them an email with the following:
"front drive shaft that fits a 4908 transmission/brake and hybrid bulks (approximately 55mm in total overall length)"

"In total overall length". I would take that to mean from the most outer points. Most of my email correspondence has been with Regina, but my most recent email came back from Jamie asking for my mailing address to send me the correct part. I made sure to include those measurements again since the existing shaft included with the kit is 2.498in/63.38mm. So I'm guessing I'll get another shaft from them. Hopefully this one will not be the same length as the one they just sent me.......that had the same measurements listed....

FLM is solid gold and so is their customer support.
Whatever caused the confusion will be ironed out to your satisfaction. I've been there because of a distributor of their parts. He did not reply to my emails and the only time he answered his phone was in a loud bar, drunk, at 10 at night when he blamed a machining error on Jamie. I got nowhere with him and called FLM directly. After getting his records and my information, they did the exchange for me at no additional charge.
I guess I wasn't the only one because he is no longer a seller for FLM.

Found this:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58978&highlight=FLM+Savage+TVPs
It can get frustrating, but it WILL be worked out when they get to the bottom of it.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75820&highlight=FLM+Savage+TVPs

Last edited:
actually i just checked my email and 2 days ago i finally got a reply and jamie from flm has asked me to send them back so they can inspect and replace them. hell yeah!

just visiting, i used an mip front driveshaft, black trans, and a savage drive cup to make it work. here is my thread, it shows how i did it https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88026&page=4

one thing to keep in mind though is that the output shaft on the grey trans is longer in the front than the black trans. also i think there might be two different length output shafts for the grey trans depending on what model its from with one of them being the same as the black trans. not 100% positive on that though.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. All of my purchases were directly from FLM. I've gone back and forth with them about this front shaft for a while. I just don't understand how their chassis, hybrid bulks, 4908 tranny, and front shaft kit don't work well together (their rear shaft works perfectly). It will be interesting to see what shaft they will send me since all of my previous emails have pointed out to them the length that the shaft needs to be and they've still sent the wrong item.

i figured out why these flm bulks have given me so much trouble. the part of the bulk where the chassis mounts is cut at a smaller angle which causes the whole bulk/case to pivot downward and inward toward the chassis. this is why my driveshaft was too long, belcrank hits the suspension, and why my skid plate holes do not line up.
photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

you can clearly see the flm bulk is not at the same angle as the stock bulk and much more level.
photo4.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that would present a problem.

The kick up angle should be 7° that looks more like 3°. Not only will it make it impossible to assemble correctly, the caster would be off compared to a stock setup if it were to be able to be assembled.

I would be asking/demanding a new set of front bulks…

I have contacted flm via email and they have asked me to send them back so they can replace them.

Hey K5, which drive ups are you using? Seems like most of the 1/8th scale cups are too short. I converted mine to the longer revo cups.

thats what happen with my t-maxx with the front blukheads but the angles was the opposite the aluminum bluk head had more of an angle but i thought it was fine so i left it and now it turns even better!

It's hard to say. All of my purchases were directly from FLM. I've gone back and forth with them about this front shaft for a while. I just don't understand how their chassis, hybrid bulks, 4908 tranny, and front shaft kit don't work well together (their rear shaft works perfectly). It will be interesting to see what shaft they will send me since all of my previous emails have pointed out to them the length that the shaft needs to be and they've still sent the wrong item.

So last I heard from FLM was on Sept 30th saying they would send out the shaft "today". Today is the 13th and still no shaft from them. Wish I would have just bought a damn truggy to begin with!!!! Don't know how anyone can run a business like this. I buy a couple of million dollars of IT equipment every year so I know what it takes to make customers happy. Talk about piss-poor customer service!

just thought id update on my build. i had contacted FLM via email and they said they had not seen the issue with my hybrid bulks before and ask that i mail the set i had to them so they could replace them. a few weeks went by after i sent them i had not received the new set and not gotten any emails. so i emailed them and a week later they replied and said they would get them out asap. this was now back in october. since then i still have not recieved my new bulks. back in november and december i called them a few times with no answer and i have emailed them a couple times as well and still have gotten no replys. what a poopy company. my project is still unfinished and basically a pile of parts that cost me over a g. I'm pissed i paid money for something and got nothing in return. anyone have any idea what is going on with them??

I'm having the same problem, from drive shaft doesn't fit, no answer from FLM the only difference is I don't have the hybrid bulks I have the combo bulks same issue with the angle of the machining and the same issue with the from dog bone.. I think its time we all boycott FLM.

That's so messed up. After an abundance of emails about their front shaft not working with the 4908, they said they would send me the correct shaft. Those idiots just took the front shaft out of their retail kit and sent that to me. I guess they forgot how to read since the entire email dialog specifically stated that their retail kit did not line up with their hybrid bulks. I've left it alone since November/December. Maybe it's time to start posting similar threads on all of the popular forums. I'll get my truck running this spring (front shaft is the only thing I'm waiting on). It's unfortunate that to file a small claims lawsuit you have to do it in their county and in person. Might be worth a road trip though.......

A good place to post this thread would on (beat my truck) they seam to promote FLM a lot

This the response I got from FLM about my front drive shaft after I emailed FLM twice and called once and had the guy that I bought the stuff from send them an email.

Do you have a length on the shafts you have received? Apparently we might have an issue with that part.

Jamie McDaniel www.fastlanemachine.net

Back