Flaking Paint

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Today I bashed with the body on my Baja 5b for the first time and now the paint is flaking off.

I used Tamiya paint 'for plastics'; I don't know if that's lexan paint or not but that's what the LHS told me to use. Anyways, when I painted the body I put masking tape on for the stripes and then cleaned the inside of the body with a wet, clean washcloth and dried it with another clean towel (here's where I think I went wrong -- I should have used DA).

I laid down 5 coats of gray then took the masking tape off and put down another 5 coats of orange. The entire time and for about 10 minutes beforehand I had the paint cans in warm water. It was about 60 degrees F outside where I was painting.

What should I do to prevent further flaking?

Nope, that's the wrong paint. That is Tamiyas paint for their hard bodies like the F-350, Tundra, Clod etc.. Whoever told you that is incorrect. You need paint for Lexan or Polycarbonate, not plastic.

And you should use da to clean the body, a wet rag will not remove mold release, or oil from your hands off the lexan.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks.

So do you think the body is salvageable or would it be more cost effective to just buy a new body and repaint with lexan paint?

You can try stripping it, use some brake fluid and let it soak in good. If it don't all come off you could always flat black it on the outside :D

Yeah I already ran that by my dad and he basically said no f'in way, lol. Judging from the level of flakage though I'm pretty sure I could get it off pretty easy by just flicking it on the outside with my finger.

I know how you feel man. Same thing mine is doing. I bought
"plastic paint" also.

Back