fixing by urself? or send it to repair?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighttalk

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
how many ppl here actually fixing their car/truck themselves?
personally i like to do everything on my own...just take every part and find out the problem...then go to LHS/online to get the parts...
i really enjoy the time i spend there..(call me crazy...but well...as much as running it..haha..)
but most of my friends they just send to to hobby shop and drop their car there....some of them dont even clean their car....
why pay extra money on something u can do it urself?...

just curiosity....

I like working on my own cars/trucks. Been doing it for the last 12 years

I'm with you nighttalk i love working on my revo 3.3. i tear mine completely down evry 3 hours of run time to clean it. as a matter of fact I'm in the middle of converting it with platinum parts:D

I could never see myself not doing my own repairs. Unless you're some kind of sponsored racer or have a huge budget I think everyone should do their own.

I think being able to do your own repairs is of paramount importance in the hobby. Sure, the first few may require some help. But it really benefits you to know how to tear down and rebuild every ride you have. Repairs on these really aren't that hard. Just take some time to learn how everything goes together.

thanks for the reply
kinda suprised everyone reply so fast
yah...that's ture...
one of my freind told me "i am the racer...that's why i only send it to the shop"...
i was like...uh...ok....and he always has tons of trouble with his car.
i think in the long run...this will help u to find/fix other problem in ur life
keep up the good work!

I like fixing my own,
Why send it to a shop if you can buy the parts from yourr LHS and then put parts on it yourself..

So I'm assuming your friend 'the racer' doesn't even tune his own car? There aren't many shops that will take that responsibility anymore. My LHS is more than happy to help you with tuning it but the will no longer be responsible for it.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but what happens if your friends shop forgets something or doesn't set something right and he can't run his rig? Seems like a waste of a perfectly good day, when you can't even begin to figure it out.

I work on my own rigs. Always have, always will.

Anybody who can't work on there own rigs probably can't wipe their own ass either.

haha good one rob..

Its part of the fun.. tearing into them and investigating.. i couldnt ever see not doing my own stuff

I work on my own rigs. Always have, always will.

Anybody who can't work on there own rigs probably can't wipe their own ass either.

LOL!!! Frankly wouldn't feel comfortable not doing my own repairs, plus there is no better way to know your truck than to take it apart to fix it or to clean it.:)

i have done all the repairs on my rig. everything from a new engine mount to a complete rebuild. the only thing i needed the LHS for is gear mesh the first time.

LOL!!! Frankly wouldn't feel comfortable not doing my own repairs, plus there is no better way to know your truck than to take it apart to fix it or to clean it.:)

+100 thats how i learned everything about my truck

i am new to Nitro ... i am learning how to do all of my own repairs as well. it is just another thing that makes the hobby so much fun, in fact, i am changing my shock fluid as we speak.

Do it yourself, that way when its making "a funny noise" you'll know where to look for said noise!

Most of the time, the ones that don't fix their own stuff are the ones that leave the hobby. I like working on them as much as driving them!

its always more fun working on them. well maybe not always.

I can't even imagine not working on my cars.

I think those that wrench on their rigs enjoy their models. Those that just play with their rigs enjoy their toys.

I recently got back into the hobby. When I went to my lhs I asked for an RC10GT2 Team Kit so that I could build it myself. The reply I got from the clerk was "why would you want to waste time and build it yourself, I have one already to go in this box." To which my reply was, "So that when something breaks I dont have to come back here and pay you to fix it for me!" I took pride in watching my truck run for the first time after I built it. I take pride in knowing that the car out in front of me works because I put it together/fixed it...every single nut and bolt of it!

I would never even think of dropping my car off at the LHS to get it repaired, go there for parts sure, and maybe even some advice, but I due all of my own repairs and have so for the over 25 years I have been in the hobby, it not only teaches you how to fix them but how to tune and adjust things as well. And even after all that time there are still questions or advice that I need and thats why I come here for help. The guys and gals at are RCNT are great people and are always willing to help, as am I when and where I can.

The reply I got from the clerk was "why would you want to waste time and build it yourself, I have one already to go in this box."

That's a real shame. They might as well just told you that they had a lot of RTR's to get rid of and they were going to try to sell you one whether you wanted it or not.

Back