First Racing experince

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_789

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I got my first Nitro Truck on Friday and it wouldn't run.. I did get it broke in and that was about it.. So I went to the local track on saturday about 6 hours before the races started cause I knew only hardcore dudes would be there that early.. Well sure enough and hour later and one tuning SOB I had a quick running little xxx-nt what a blast and it only took about five minutes after he recommned I get titanium tie rods for me to bust the two front lefts in half. Well a set of titanium and some rpm ends I was up an running again. This is one tuff little truck oh also an RPM bumper what a great idea rpm had with those things.
Anyway I have never raced compedativly but these guys said I should go ahead and stay and give it a go, even though I would have prefered to get to drive my truck at least a week to get transmitter dialed in and get used to it..
Oh screw feet first I said. So anyway with some help from some cool dudes we dialed in my truck pretty good and I was off and running. There were only 7 of us with nitro 2 wheel drive trucks today so there was no begineer class we were all tossed into gether. I had seen enough racing to know that smooth is fast so with much throttle control I got 3rd place in my first heat which I was terribly proud of considering I finished ahead of more than half the other fellows.
In the next two heata I made some adjustment. I finished 5 in the second heat becuse I was launched from the track by a @$$%@# kid. Then the 3rd heat I finished 4. My main goal was to keep it off its lid and to not get lapped well I never got lapped. So in the A main I finished 3rd again. The guys running in 1st and 2nd place were pretty good my goal was not to get lapped by them and I didn't so all in all I was pretty happy with my first day of racing considering I had never drove a stadium truck or a Nitro. The best part though was that I meet some really kick *** dudes at the track that helped me out the whole time and I was able to give some advice to some of the younger guys on their elecetric stuff so all in all it was COOL
So stadium racing is now 110 % SUCK. X

Last edited:
Well X,
Now it seems as if I’m not the only racer on the board.

You will find that the people at the track are a unique group of folks, they will help you, they will give you parts and advise, even the shirt off their backs if you ask. Everyone is in the Christmas spirit. For me, this is one of the best parts of the hobby. Doesn’t matter if you win or lose; at the track everyone wins. Just remember it’s a 2 way street.

So, tell me, How long did it take for your hands to quit shaking after the first whistle blew? I have only raced about 40 races and still get butterflies every time. What is your favorite part of racing? What do you need to do better?

Sounds like you had a real good time. You had the right idea to set a goal, for your first season the name of the game is Survival, Setup, Setup, Setup, and Setup. Document everything. Download a setup sheet from Losi and use it. Every time you make a change on your truck make a new setup sheet and make notes about everything, weather, track conditions, air temp, track temp, time of day, and everything else you can think of. You will thank yourself next race and next season when you are looking for the perfect setup and you don’t have to guess.

If you need any help let me know.

X it sounds like you did real good for your first time out. Next time you out if the two guys that took 1 and 2 are there and your racing them try this just stay on there tails dont try to pass just try to stay with them. After the race go and tell them how much fun the race was and how good there driving was in the race. There are two reasons to do this 1 people like to get a pat on the back for winning and 2 it will give you a chance to talk with them more on how there trucks are settup. Info you will want to look for is what tires there running what gearing they use and why they use it at that track. Also small things like what airfilter and fuel they use. Good luck in your next race and dont forget to let us know how you do.

Originally posted by FastEddy
Well X,
Now it seems as if I’m not the only racer on the board.

Just remember it’s a 2 way street.

So, tell me, How long did it take for your hands to quit shaking after the first whistle blew? I have only raced about 40 races and still get butterflies every time. What is your favorite part of racing? What do you need to do better?

Oh yea the two way street is true but I am real cool I will let anyone use anything of mine including tools as long as you are with in site. I use snapon tools since I used to be a mechanic so I can't easily part with them old. Habbit but I did give kid some old parts and I am easy with the nitro spray and things like that its give and take. I really hit the jackpot on the groups of guys that I started talking to first. Cause as you know there are little clicks there.
On the shaking I was not so scared on the first race as I was on the second and third then my wife came out and just missed 3rd but she got to see me race the main. I was just glad I didn't finish last but one of the guys that helped me out his wife came out around same time so the women were just gabbing away. Anyway it was a great time. X

What's the deal with liking racing. I am not bashing you guys for racing but it seems like there is less fun, as I see it, racing than just going out with a buddy or two and having some fun. I mean racing there's deadlines. You have guys that you don't like there as well as ones you do like there. Just regular bashing there's you and your friend(s).

Speaking of racing experience, I figure I might was well share mine...

1st time at the track...
Knowing very little about actually tuning a nitro engine, I just dropped it on the track and took off. Watching all the other guys leaving me in the dirt I decided to lean out my engine some. Yup sure enough I was faster, so I leaned it out some more. Now I was fast enough to be competative. Not wanting to break anything before the race I pulled it off the track and sat and watched for the remainder of the practice.

When my heat was up, I started my truck and took it on the track, ran a few warm up laps. It was starting to get dark by this time, the track is lit, night racing, cool :) After a few laps, I wasn't doing so well, but at least I wasn't embarasing myself completely. I kept running, ran out of gas...DOH. My truck was brough to the side of the track, the guy looked at me and shook his head. I looked down and the engine was smoking, and I swear it was almost glowing. It never started again after that. Scratch 1 engine due to my not-so-leet tuning skillz.

2nd time at the track...
After buying a new engine and a two speed trans I thought I was going to be ready. But it just wasn't running right. I couldn't figure out why it was running so slow, or why just my front wheels had any drive. Oh well, screw it, went home, just knowing something was really wrong. Sure enough I'd stripped out my back differentials and 2nd gear. No clue how the diffs got stripped, but the 2nd gear was due to poor engine mounting...locktight really makes a difference. I was out, figured I'd just run without it and get some the next trip to the lhs....doh.

3rd time at the track...
engine semi-tuned, trans shift point dialed in pretty good. My heat started and I wasn't doing bad, got in a wreck, receiver poped out, back right suspension arm broke, dogbone missing. Out of it again....so much for 3rd time being a charm.

heh, 3 races, and I havn't even managed to finish 1 heat.

4th race (next friday)
my inferno should be here, built, broke in and tuned by race night, hope I can get the suspension dialed in durring practice. My MT should be tuned up and running good by then too (thanks to flattop for explaining the tuning process in detail). So maybe with a little luck and two cars I'll be able to at least finish a heat :) Damn this is an addictive hobby.....

Back