First crawer build RGT ex86100 v2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
So have been wanting a crawler for a while as I've got lots of property and land around me with lots of great crawling terrain. Had a budget at about $300 and wanted something 1/10 scale so did some looking and watched some videos and reviews. Came across the RGT ex86100 v2 for $250 and after watching some videos of the v1 and seeing the added upgrades to the v2 I decided to pick it up.
Screenshot_20210914-122207_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210914-122039_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210914-122018_Chrome.jpg
This rig does amazing even stock with just adjusting shocks and adding some weight in the center and front did really well.
So for the build so far I've only adjusted my shock positioning and added weight up front and in the center. Just recently installed some new beadlock rims and new tires which again made a big improvement for grip, COG and better roll over angles.
Screenshot_20210914-121846_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210914-121916_Chrome.jpg
Have some metal steering parts coming also to help with COG and just to have more durable parts.
Screenshot_20210914-120815_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210914-120820_eBay.jpg

Looks like you grabbed a winner, I wasn't familiar with RGT until you picked this up. Glad your enjoying it. :thumbs-up:
I am and definitely happy with it! Thing does really well especially with the few new goodies added. For the price and it's performance not much IMO that compares. Definitely think now it would hold its own to the trx4, scx10 or Redcat gen8 all day!

Welcome on the little, yellow crawler school bus!
It's great someone here picked up yet another different brand for comparison. Looking forward to see this get mod!

Welcome on the little, yellow crawler school bus!
It's great someone here picked up yet another different brand for comparison. Looking forward to see this get mod!
Thanks! As I said so far very impressed with the improvement with very little mods so far! Here's the first crawl and cruise stock out of the box, will have another video soon with the added changes and better performance 👍🏼

I am and definitely happy with it! Thing does really well especially with the few new goodies added. For the price and it's performance not much IMO that compares. Definitely think now it would hold its own to the trx4, scx10 or Redcat gen8 all day!
From watching your video, the rig appears to perform to the level of the Gen8. Not quite to the crawlabilities of an TRX4. Like the Redcat's brushed system, it's too jerky, which would not fair well on very technical lines. While the TRX4 is Also a brushed system, it is exceptional smooth. Also, the Traxxas Canyon Trail stock tires are excellent grabbers. I would say nearly as good as the Proline Hyrax, but at half the price.
I've recently swapped out the Gen8's brushed system for the Hobbywing Fusion brushless system, and the difference in crawling performance is huge. Ultra smooth, big power, and lots of brake holding power!

From watching your video, the rig appears to perform to the level of the Gen8. Not quite to the crawlabilities of an TRX4. Like the Redcat's brushed system, it's too jerky, which would not fair well on very technical lines. While the TRX4 is Also a brushed system, it is exceptional smooth. Also, the Traxxas Canyon Trail stock tires are excellent grabbers. I would say nearly as good as the Proline Hyrax, but at half the price.
I've recently swapped out the Gen8's brushed system for the Hobbywing Fusion brushless system, and the difference in crawling performance is huge. Ultra smooth, big power, and lots of brake holding power!
Ya so like I said for the price it does great. The video also like I said is box stock where now with the few upgrades it does a lot better especially with the new better tires and heavier beadlocks. Definitely will change esc and motor eventually just don't have a bunch of money to throw at it now

Ya so like I said for the price it does great. The video also like I said is box stock where now with the few upgrades it does a lot better especially with the new better tires and heavier beadlocks. Definitely will change esc and motor eventually just don't have a bunch of money to throw at it now
My TRX4 Defender is fairly top heavy, and the only thing that's been added are brass porter axle covers. Yet, it is my best crawler out of my 3( Gen8V2 and SCX10iii). Just excellent engineering by Traxxas on this platform!
But, yeah, I hear ya on the money thing. I'm not throwing all my money, all at once into these things. They're all, long term projects. My ultimate goal is a solid performer without sacrificing too much scale appearances. 😀
0615211729a.jpg
0816211123b.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some side roll angle for ya since the additions, absolutely blown away didn't tumble over here! But yes definitely a fun long term project as is my crawler course I'm building for it👍🏼 I've got 5 acres so I have a good start of an RC race track and also now a good size crawler course on our property
20210910_101001.jpg

Here's some side roll angle for ya since the additions, absolutely blown away didn't tumble over here! But yes definitely a fun long term project as is my crawler course I'm building for it👍🏼 I've got 5 acres so I have a good start of an RC race track and also now a good size crawler course on our propertyView attachment 132736
A race course and a crawler course?

Man, you're living the dream!

I hope you'll do a build progression thread on this crawler course.

A race course and a crawler course?

Man, you're living the dream!

I hope you'll do a build progression thread on this crawler course.
Ya I'll try, here's some pics of before and after of what I got started so far for it. Put it on a good sloping hill also not sure if you can tell from the pics but it's a good slope. Next video will show it also when I get it edited and posted on my channel
Before
20210906_130311.jpg
during
20210906_132535.jpg
20210906_140512.jpg
20210906_132555.jpg
what I've got done so far
20210906_140448.jpg

Ya I'll try, here's some pics of before and after of what I got started so far for it. Put it on a good sloping hill also not sure if you can tell from the pics but it's a good slope. Next video will show it also when I get it edited and posted on my channel
Before
View attachment 132741duringView attachment 132742View attachment 132743View attachment 132744what I've got done so farView attachment 132745
Looks like you're off to a great start!

I've learned that it's really, really difficult to capture terrain steepness/grade with a camera.

Yeah, pictures never look as steep as what your crawling on, you pretty much have to get the camera in the dirt to even get close to showing it.
So, you're still trying to convince us that the picture of your Ford Transit was on a much steeper grade than the picture portrayed?

🤣

Looks like you're off to a great start!

I've learned that it's really, really difficult to capture terrain steepness/grade with a camera.
Ya pictures give some idea as you see the gate at the top of the hill but still as you said hard to get it portrayed in pictures or on video.

So metal steering parts came in and were for the previous version so they won't work unfortunately... added some +10mm hex extenders to widen it out a bit and also put a 20kg servo in over the stock 15kg. Tried a couple different brushed motors but didn't like them as they were too touchy and faster than I wanted. Looking at a new HW WP1080 esc and Holmes hobbies 12t motor as I've been told that would be a good setup and help with the slower crawling I want thats not so touchy/jumpy.
20210919_160500.jpg
20210919_160727.jpg
20210919_161854.jpg
20210919_182029.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. The Holmes hobby sport motors with the 1080 are fantastic for the money. I have the 13t 550 crawlmaster in my rgt and the 10t in the trx4.

Looking good. The Holmes hobby sport motors with the 1080 are fantastic for the money. I have the 13t 550 crawlmaster in my rgt and the 10t in the trx4.
Thanks! Do you notice a big difference between the 13t and 10t? If so which is a better slow crawling motor as that's what I'm really after now for mine.

Thanks! Do you notice a big difference between the 13t and 10t? If so which is a better slow crawling motor as that's what I'm really after now for mine.
The higher the turns the better for slow torque. I dont have first hand experience with those two exact motors but it should be a noticeable difference. The 13T is roughly equivalent to a 3500kv motor and the 10T is roughly equivalent to a 4500kv motor.