Firefox 57... quantum... bleh

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Being in the software QA world where I test a lot of front end browser stuff, this thing has murdered me. I had so many add ons and general features that I have used as part of my daily work for the past decade that not having them is like losing a hand.

Sure, they sped it up by a few hundredths of a second... who cares? I'd rather have features than speed any day.

I miss my status bar and loss of the automation software add on I used has forced me to install portable versions of firefox 54.0.1 on various machines just so I can still run the hundreds of scripts I use... every single week, that I spent months writing.

I have had this past week off work and have spent many hours trying to find solutions to missing features/add ons. Irritates me to no end that the first vacation I get this year, I end up "working" for 40 hours because of this.

Ugh... sorry, had to vent somewhere.

Sure, they sped it up by a few hundredths of a second... who cares? I'd rather have features than speed any day.
I'll be honest I've not seen the super huge difference Firefox made the speed out to being, but it does seem a bit snappier and using less resources for me. Since I'm not a developer I don't require the add-ons you seem to need so I can't say anything isn't supported for me.

In fact, after using the new version for the last few days I've now made it my default browser at home.

I hear you on the "do we really need it to be faster?" thing. I use chrome (home)and edge (work), speed is not a problem provided your connection is good.

Sure nice to have speedups, but perhaps get the plug in compatibility etc good first since no one is screaming "i need it faster!!", Otherwise, as you illustrate, existing user base moves on.

Still upset that some of my favorite plugins were disabled and haven't been updated yet. May end up switching to Chrome permanently...

Mainly a download manager that allowed my to que file downloads.

Back