Final Drive Ratio

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzle67

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
I have a B3 with a Tekin R Spec 13.5 T. I have the stock spur gear 81T. Doing so number crunching I believe I found a pinion/spur ratio that get me close to 13.5. Basically would it be good to have my gear in almost 1:1 with my motor turn? Any benefits?

1:1 Is a very short gear ratio. I'm not familiar with 10th scale buggies and specifically the RC10b3 which is what I'm guessing you mean by "B3" but I can't imagine even getting close to 1:1 gear ratio would be good for racing on a track. AFAIK, generally the only people that use 1:1 gear ratios are people doing speed runs.

@Greywolf74 . That's what I needed to hear if I was going in the right direction or not. I have the formula to calculate FDR. Sorry, yes it is RC10 B3. I have the manual and the pinion gear it call for was almost twice the size I am running. (This is where the start of the gearing rabbit hole started for me.) I would like to race this buggy I am trying to get it setup. The current pinon I have (18T) I smooth out tires after a session or two. I wanted to slow my tire rotation down a little. I tried a 22T and it is dramatically different. Sorry for the short story. Info is key.

@Greywolf74 . That's what I needed to hear if I was going in the right direction or not. I have the formula to calculate FDR. Sorry, yes it is RC10 B3. I have the manual and the pinion gear it call for was almost twice the size I am running. (This is where the start of the gearing rabbit hole started for me.) I would like to race this buggy I am trying to get it setup. The current pinon I have (18T) I smooth out tires after a session or two. I wanted to slow my tire rotation down a little. I tried a 22T and it is dramatically different. Sorry for the short story. Info is key.
Sounds to me like you need to run a little harder tire compound. Youll wear out tires fast racing but I dont think theyre supposed to be wearing out after 1 or 2 sessions.

If you are wearing out tires in a session or two that's not really normal I would think. But they do wear pretty fast on a track. I only ran at our local track with my B6 just playing around a few times, and it wore them pretty good. But I probably ran more laps each time than you would on a day of racing because I only left the track to swap batteries. It was too much fun 😉

Maybe your shock's springs are a bit stiff for the track. Do you have a tad softer spring for the rear? Or try lowering your pre-load in the rear a tad, to give the suspension a little more forgiveness in the rear to keep the tires planted a bit more.

@tntpoof races I think. Maybe he can chime in.

My shocks and springs are on the stiff side. They need a rebuild so I can put a lighter weight oil in and adjust the preloads. I am not racing yet. I am driving/practicing on a dirt track. I do slide it in the corners, maybe this is where I need to fix something?

Last edited:
My shocks and springs are on the stiff side. They need a rebuild so I can put a lighter weight oil in and adjust the preloads. I am racing yet. I am driving on a dirt track. I do slide it in the corners maybe this is where I need to fix something?
It could be a combination of too much torque and preload/oil. I like my buggies to have a little squat, with soft suspension, which seems to keep the tires planted better on dirt. My advice would be to change one thing at a time.

If you can get some track time, dial in the gearing with some practice laps. Then play with the shocks.

id look at a harder tire compound. rebuild shocks sliding is not winning..got massive headache after 5 years free UGH.

I appreciate all the pointers. To bring you all who care up to speed. Softened the shock oil. Made the springs in the back longer travel. Got new tires and I went with a soft compound. These tires where the ticket. Lots of grip. I am using the PL Blockades. I also went back to original gearing. 18T Pinon and 81 Spur. Clocked the timing back a little. Car is fast. I have to ease the throttle now. Punching it gets me doing wheelies

Back