Fast Savage!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, i have a savage 25 and the motor is shot in my opinion. i can get it to run semi-ok and seems like it still has some top end power but once it stalls out i can't start it while its hot.... i pretty much have to try to re-tune it everytime i restart it.

My limit is $150, can i get a decent engine for this price?

That's the perfect price for an LRP Z.28R. IMO It's the best bang for the buck. If you want, you can get a Picco .28 about $50 more.

thanks i had that motor in mind, also heard O.S. motors are great! Now if i get an after market motor and say i break a connecting rod, are they expensive to fix like parts and such?

OS motors are fine. I'm getting the OS30VG in. Gonna try it out. IMO if you're gonna race, don't go over a .28 size engine. OS should make a .28 engine.

The most expensive thing to replace on an engine is the piston and sleeve. The con-rod isn't too expensive to replace. It should be around $20-30, depending on what motor you have.

OS motors are fine. I'm getting the OS30VG in. Gonna try it out. IMO if you're gonna race, don't go over a .28 size engine. OS should make a .28 engine.

The most expensive thing to replace on an engine is the piston and sleeve. The con-rod isn't too expensive to replace. It should be around $20-30, depending on what motor you have.

$20-$30 for the piston and sleeve? or was that the con-rod?

I want my truck to not kick my ass when i tune it lol... but that is what I'm used to thx to buying the truck used. i did have fun with this truck for the most part, and i will use it in the winter time in the snow..... so any personal favorites?

Don't buy axial. They are made with some really cheaply made parts (bearings) And they will give you a huge headache

Spend a few bucks more and get an LRP .28 ;) You won't regret it.

QUOTE=samrsnow;730539]Don't buy axial. They are made with some really cheaply made parts (bearings) And they will give you a huge headache

Spend a few bucks more and get an LRP .28 ;) You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

i have had no problems with my axial .28 alot of poeple run / race them , alot of people diss them if you got the money to get a different brand great. but this guy has a limit of 150 the axial is a great mill thats all I'm saying. what is another .28 you can get for this price? and what is a bearing anyway $4.00? if it goes out buy a new one! but i have not had this problem, and do some reserch they are not made cheap its where they are made that makes them cheep for us, they sell for 4 to 5 hudo in the UK:angry:

Mach .28
STS D28M
Force .28
hpi F4.6
hpi K4.6
Go .28
Losi 454 <---LRP .28 clone for a cheaper price.

Most of those engines will blow the doors off an axial.

Are they easy to tune, this truck is just a basher truck, I'm going to use it in the winter too

The Losi 454,mach .28 and F4.6 are probably the best ones to go with imo. I have not heard of them being hard to tune.

Mach .28
STS D28M
Force .28
hpi F4.6
hpi K4.6
Go .28
Losi 454 <---LRP .28 clone for a cheaper price.

Most of those engines will blow the doors off an axial.

that is not a bad price and I'm sure its a good mill aswell but i got axial .28, a gallon of fule, afterrun oil, and a glow plug for less than that @ my LHS:
:whhooo: what ever you decide imn sure you will have a blast:D AXIAL $117.00 @ LHS

Last edited:
I have a mach 427 in my savage and i could not be happier. It runs great, it's easy to tune, holds a great tune. Engine will wheely a savage on demand from a dead stop and will also catch a few wheelies hitting second.

I had two of the Spec 1 Axials. They were great engines....until they both hit the 1 3/4 - 2 gallon mark then they would not run for anything. They still had good compression but IDK what the malfunction was. I personally suspect the carbs are POS's but not really sure. I have had great luck with the LRP engines. The LRP Spec3 .28 is an absolute animal....lots of low torque and top end too. I know nothing about the Axial .28RR so I will say nothing about it other than one of our members from downunder; BrushlessBoy has one and liked it. Now, that was while it was new. I don't know how it has held up in the long run. If you want a good earful on Axial shoot Olds an PM and ask him his opinion. I am a huge LRP fan so I am a bit biased. The HPI engines have always been reliable and easy to tune. The Piccos are normally good engines as well with the exception of one I had that I chunked into a river it made me so angry. That one mill almost ruined me on Picco but have had good luck with them on other things since. Basically it comes down to what are you going to be happy with?

Well, I've had one axial 28 Spec 1 (the first axial 28). Was easy to break-in, held a decent tune, had ok power clear up to about 1.5 gallons. Then it became a piece of garbage. Ran horrible, no power, started easy, idled all day, but sucked otherwise.

That's all I'll say about it.

LRP28S3 is a great engine. However, $165+ is over your budget, especially if you include shipping or tax if you buy local. Then your closer to $180.

I ran a STS D30 and it was similar to the axial... but ran like crap pretty much from break-in to about a gallon. Never improved, only progressively got worse. Sold it with the axial just so I could stop looking at them and getting angry.

I heard the STS 28's were pretty good. A bit hit or miss as to if you get one that ran well though. So, kind of a gamble. Either you get a ripper or a dud. However, that was with their first making of them. Then they relieved the pinch a bit and the hit or miss percentage became greatly better. The D30 was built really well, but like I said, a dud.

The Dynamite Mach 28 is somewhat of a dud for it's size. Low rev's, decent power output, but not on par with many other 28's.

The dynamite 427 gold head is a good engine as is the green head (larger carb venturi, faster of the two supposedly). I've seen 3 gold heads and one teal run and all of them were decent performers that had a decent life span. Even in the hands of newbies.

I've seen a few of the HPI 4.6's and they do have decent torque, but lack severely on top end RPM's IMHO. Every time I watch a vid of one or see one running locally, I keep wondering if they are holding the throttle at 2/3's open.

$150 or less from my personal experience, Mach 427:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...mite-Mach-427-Pull-Start-Monster-Truck-Engine

From what I've read:
STS D28M
Go 28

Although... Dynamite just made another 28... BIG RED:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN0992

May be a contender for a basher as well.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Well i sealed my carb to my motor today, seemed to hold a tune a bit better for sure! now, my truck screams top end but bottom really didnt seem to strong, it doesn't wheelie off the line, but i dont know what to expect from this engine either way.

But I'm still thinking of getting a new engine, i guess since my budget was 150 i can make it 175 if that price range would yeild a much better engine.

Back